Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I've been searching around and it seems that the general consensus is that an 18% grey wall is really cool for the wall behind a front projector's screen...

But I'm finishing out my theater with an HD- RPTV which will be set into an alcove in the wall... the alcove will have some very dim lighting (to slightly wash the wall behind the screen).

What color should I paint this back wall to maximize picture quality??

Is it a good idea to have some light behind the TV? I heard somewhere (DVD Essentials disc??) that it would reduce eye fatigue to have some light behind the TV... good plan?

Thanks in advance!!!

-Matt

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, I think in some circumstances it is good to have some light, like when watching a football game. For movies I prefer dark or nearly dark, but this also depends on the projection system. For an RPTV, which is able to compete with contolled ambient light, I would want the ability to add some room light as you are planning. Specifically, have the light reflect off the wall behind the screen so it does not hit the screen directly. Using a light that is 6500 degree K, will be neutral and not distort the perceived color. Also use a neutral color wall, again, so the colors are not distroted. This is where the 18% gray came from. There is a Kodak Gray color card (I don't remember the number) that is often used to match paint to for neutral color.

Hope this helps.

MJ

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have two 6500k lights (bought from http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ ) behind my 58" rptv. These help a great deal -- they provide a pleasing backlight. Also, AVIA has a screen that shows 5% and 10% lighting, which is about what your lighting level should be. I have a green wall, which is too dark. As I am renting, I could not paint it. However, I hung some white cloth behind the tv. It's still not that bright, about 10% depending on where you look. You really need to buy a 6,500k light (not necessarily from where I bought mine), because my experience has been that other lights aren't as good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.