AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install my duct board on the lower half of the walls and the screen wall. The question I have is, should it be installed with or without the foil facing? The foil peals off very easy and is no problem to remove. I assume if left on, the foil side would be against the drywall. Is there any acoustical advantage to either option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Leave the foil on. It is the vapor barrier. Staple the flanges every four to five inches, on the inside of the studs. NOT on the face of the studs.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
There is no need for a vapor barrier if being used inside a climate controlled environment as sound absorption.

If you are mounting it flush against the wall, I don't believe it matters one way or the other. And, in such an application , yes you would want the insulation facing the room. Otherwise the sound will reflect off the foil before ever reaching the insulation for absorption. But, as I understand it, if you pull off the foil and space the panel away from the wall a little, it will absorb better than mounting it flush against the wall.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys! When you remove the foil, it causes no significant difference in the thickness of the boards. Unless someone has a reason to do otherwise, I will leave it on and keep it against the drywall.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Detroit-Al thought you were talking about insulation batting for wall cavities, when actually you were talking about room treatments.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.