AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install my duct board on the lower half of the walls and the screen wall. The question I have is, should it be installed with or without the foil facing? The foil peals off very easy and is no problem to remove. I assume if left on, the foil side would be against the drywall. Is there any acoustical advantage to either option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There is no need for a vapor barrier if being used inside a climate controlled environment as sound absorption.

If you are mounting it flush against the wall, I don't believe it matters one way or the other. And, in such an application , yes you would want the insulation facing the room. Otherwise the sound will reflect off the foil before ever reaching the insulation for absorption. But, as I understand it, if you pull off the foil and space the panel away from the wall a little, it will absorb better than mounting it flush against the wall.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys! When you remove the foil, it causes no significant difference in the thickness of the boards. Unless someone has a reason to do otherwise, I will leave it on and keep it against the drywall.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Detroit-Al thought you were talking about insulation batting for wall cavities, when actually you were talking about room treatments.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.