AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm thoroughly confused with these different products. My project, I'm making a home made return air duct, that I want to line with duct insulation. From the best I can gather linacoustic is made by Johns Manville and is the product I'm looking for, since it has a cover over the fiberglass and won't release fibers in the air, granted the joints and covered. My question is this the same product people are using to acoustically treat their walls? I'm thinking the covered fiberglass would be a benefit for little fingers, or when my kids run into the walls to keep the fiberglass fibers contained?

Is this correct?

Johns Manville linacoustic - Rigid fiberglass that has a cover to contain fibers and is used to insulate the inside of ducts. Comes in 1" x 100' rolls, 2" x 50' rolls in a couple different widths.

Owens Corning - also known as OC. Rigid fiberglass with no cover. 703 is the 1" version, 705 is the 2" version, most commonly used to acoustically treat walls under acoustically transparent cloth like GOM?

Any help, I'm looking to buy a roll of Johns Manville Linacoustic, but trying to decide how much to get, and if it can be used to acoustically treat walls or if OC 703 is a better choice?

Brent

·
Registered
971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb39 /forum/post/0

...is this the same product people are using to acoustically treat their walls?

Yes. It is actually called "Linacoustic RC" and is the flexible product. I think the 1" Linacoustic is most common. JM also makes a rigid liner called "Linacoustic R-300". This is not the one to use. From what I gather OC 703 is more commonly used in bass traps than as general treatments on walls.

A lot depends on your room specifics but generally the side walls are treated up to ear level, the back wall and screen wall are treated floor to ceiling. I haven't seen too many ceilings treated here on the forum but I suppose it could be done.

As I said, I am no acoustics expert so maybe someone else can chime in too.

Andy

·
Registered
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb39 /forum/post/0

Owens Corning - also known as OC. Rigid fiberglass with no cover. 703 is the 1" version, 705 is the 2" version, most commonly used to acoustically treat walls under acoustically transparent cloth like GOM?

OC 703 and OC 705 differ in their density and both come in a similar variety of thicknesses.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
JM also makes rigid fiberglass board that is the same as the OC 703/705 etc. As do I'm sure other companies. If you visit their websites you can find all the information, there's lots of varieties of thicknesses, densities, faced or not, faced with what, etc. It can be confusing. Bob gold's site is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link to Bob Gold's site, I think I've got most of my answers. It looks like the JM Linacoustic RC is what I'm looking for. For some reason I was thinking it can only be used for duct lining, not for acoustical wall treatments. Makes it better since I'll be getting the 1" 4x100' roll, can kill two birds with on stone. The wife will like the idea of it being faced, less likely for little children to mess with.

Supplier has both OC 703 and JM Linacoustic RC, but like the idea of the Linacoustic RC because of the reinforced coating.

Thanks,

Brent

·
Registered
194 Posts
even though it is faced, I would still cover it with fabric. Even painted I would think it would be ugly just sticking on a wall...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1759 /forum/post/0

even though it is faced, I would still cover it with fabric. Even painted I would think it would be ugly just sticking on a wall...

Yes I agree, that was my plan to cover it with fabric. My wife was concerned when I said I was putting fiberglass on the walls, she was worried about kids playing or running into the walls and releasing the fibers. I'm guessing with the linacoustic RC having a cover then fabric over the walls she will sleep better.

Thanks,

Brent

·
Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1759 /forum/post/0

sorry to hi-jack this thread but I was curious, if I planned to put it behind the screen wall as it's commonly done - is it necessary to cover it with fabric if the screen wall will be covered with fabric? I have seen it both ways, is there a right and a less right?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonp /forum/post/0

sorry to hi-jack this thread but I was curious, if I planned to put it behind the screen wall as it's commonly done - is it necessary to cover it with fabric if the screen wall will be covered with fabric? I have seen it both ways, is there a right and a less right?

For behind a faux screen wall you want it black. if it isn't then cover it. some fabrics that you cover your faux all with you will be able to see through sometimes. and if you have an AT screen you can get reflected light bounced back off the back wall which muddies your picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.