Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excerpt:

The Mission: Impossible and Lord of the Rings trilogies as well as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Peter Jackson’s King Kong all will be released on high-definition digital discs this year.

Rings, Harry and Kong to go high-def

I probably won't be able to spend the coin on a player or any movies right away, and of course, it remains to be seen whether I'll be able to connect it to my CRT in any affordable fashion, but I'm still excited.

SC

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
My guess is that us analogue guys won't get anything but a low def version before somebody hacks this...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Blu-Ray titles announce Thurs night!!!

Cant Wait!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Pioneer to sell Blu-ray drive in early '06

By Stephen Shankland
http://news.com.com/Pioneer+to+sell+...3-6010157.html

Story last modified Tue Dec 27 13:21:00 PST 2005

advertisement

Pioneer Electronics announced its first Blu-ray Disc drive Tuesday, the BDR-101A, which will store as much as 25GB of data when it goes on sale in the first quarter of 2006.

The drive isn't expected to be for everyone, Pioneer said. One particular market the company does hope to reach is so-called content creation professionals, who need to make sure BD-ROM movies work properly before they're mass-produced for mainstream consumers.

Blu-ray drives, backed by an alliance led by Sony, are set to compete with HD-DVD drives that are expected to arrive at roughly the same time. Both drive types employ a blue laser that can read and write smaller areas of information, allowing more data to be squeezed onto a single disk. That's important as high-definition video arrives.

However, Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats are incompatible, leading to a bitter battle between the two factions and the possibility of slower adoption by consumers leery after the infamous Beta vs. VHS videotape struggle.

In September, Intel and Microsoft announced their support for HD-DVD, and one reason for the move was data capacity. HD-DVD would be available in 15GB and 30GB versions, but Blu-ray initially would be available only in a 25GB version, they said, with a 50GB version lagging.

The Blu-ray group, however, said 50GB versions would be available in the spring.

Pioneer's drive can record BD discs at 2x speed, Pioneer said. It also can record DVD-R and DVD+R at 8x speed and DVD-RW and DVD+RW at 4x speed.

The company plans to announce the drive's price when the product is available.

·
Premium Member
15,987 Posts
Quote:
...when players are expected to be released as early as March.

...Sony also will release four catalog titles each month beginning this summer

...Sony also will take advantage of the enormous additional capacity to use uncompressed audio on some of its Blu-ray Disc titles, including two Sony/MGM titles in the first wave--The Fifth Element

...Disney will announce its titles and other plans at a Blu-ray Disc media event at CES on Thursday evening.

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn said the studio will have five titles, including Fantastic Four and Ice Age, in stores two weeks prior to the release of the first Blu-ray Disc player

...Lionsgate will release its traditional new-format driver Terminator 2 among its first wave of high-def movies.

...Amazon.com lists many of the titles from those studios already, including Universal’s King Kong and The Bourne Supremacy; Warner’s Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Batman Begins and Friends; New Line’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Seven; and HBO’s Band of Brothers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I knew there was a reason that i didn't by LOTR DVD's yet :).. THIS IS IT!

oh and as for players..

i'm sure as soon as the drive is released and the filesystem sorted.. linux players will be available.. meaning none of that DRM crap that you have to put up with in windows (if it even exists)..

can't wait.. guess this means i'm on the hunt for a 8~9" CRT now.. :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well, I for one will not be an early adopter of this technology that might mistakenly disable equipment in my video chain.

Let us all know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatKing
I knew there was a reason that i didn't by LOTR DVD's yet :).. THIS IS IT!

oh and as for players..

i'm sure as soon as the drive is released and the filesystem sorted.. linux players will be available.. meaning none of that DRM crap that you have to put up with in windows (if it even exists).
I would expect PC playback of HD-DVD or BluRay to have less copy protection than that DRM stuff unless you are talking about somebody breaking it or standalone players. I'm still waiting to hear their stance on component output, but as far as digital outputs I would expect those to have some copy protection set, although you may be able to get around that with an external device.

--Darin

·
Registered
136 Posts
as this forum is hosted in the US i would never suggest any such thing as a means to bypass or avoid any copyprotection scheme as that would be illegal under your digital millenium copyright act laws

but the words moome and dvdjon come to mind.. not to mention the fact that videocards with analog out are still very commonplace.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatKing
but the words moome and dvdjon come to mind.. not to mention the fact that videocards with analog out are still very commonplace.
Yes they are. And a PC that hasn't been hacked will probably not play these disks with those video cards over analog. We'll see.

BTW: Toshiba just announced an HD-DVD player for $499.

--Darin

·
Registered
83 Posts
Curious to see what (if any) current gen video cards are supported with these new pc hddvd/blu drives. Major pc monitor companies are already planning / building monitors with only HDCP protected dual link DVI-D inputs, nothing component or VGA. Not so much info coming from nvidia, et al either. Only time will tell I guess, and thank god for the open source community.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to take your 9 inch CRT's as they will be certainly rendered useless by all of this :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBrown
Well, I for one will not be an early adopter of this technology that might mistakenly disable equipment in my video chain.

Let us all know how it goes!!!
I hear ya! But, if you've ever watched D-Theater and compared it to scaled DVD, it is going to be hard to resist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
And a PC that hasn't been hacked will probably not play these disks with those video cards over analog. We'll see.
This seems to be how things are shaping up with regard to computer displays. However, let us not forget, neither HD-DVD nor BD mandated down rezzing the analog out. They both support a flag for the disc to tell them to do this. Thus, it is up to the content owners to decide if their content can be full rez analog. Some studios are starting to lean toward full rez analog, after all, some did it with D-Theater.

Dave

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'll confess, the moment a player goes below 500.00. I'm in

MATRIX, incredibles in HD!!!

I'm in!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
......Amazon.com lists many of the titles from those studios already, including Universal’s King Kong and The Bourne Supremacy; Warner’s Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Batman Begins and Friends; New Line’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Seven; and HBO’s Band of Brothers.
Couldn't find any of these listed at Amazon in BR/HD-DVD! Anyone find any?

Kal

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
I hear ya! But, if you've ever watched D-Theater and compared it to scaled DVD, it is going to be hard to resist!
And that doesn't even count the audio improvements in these new formats over D-Theater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
This seems to be how things are shaping up with regard to computer displays. However, let us not forget, neither HD-DVD nor BD mandated down rezzing the analog out. They both support a flag for the disc to tell them to do this. Thus, it is up to the content owners to decide if their content can be full rez analog. Some studios are starting to lean toward full rez analog, after all, some did it with D-Theater.
I agree. Some of them seem to have loosened up their stances for the standalone players. Hopefully we will find out more over the next few days. I plan to ask at CES if others don't first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
Couldn't find any of these listed at Amazon in BR/HD-DVD! Anyone find any?
As far as HD-DVD you can search with the whole string:

[HD DVD]

under DVD and look through the list.

--Darin

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
For either format to get a market share they will have to do things very smart, IMO. Those things would be the following: cheap HD-DVD players (Toshiba's at $499 is a good start while Sony's at $3,695.00 isn't); component output with full HD resolution for the thousands trapped without HDMI; HD version on one side and DVD version on the other or two discs with DVD version on one and HD version on the other (makes renting HD version possible); cost of disc about the same as DVDs are now; and some real choice in movies.

On this forum it appears that everyone is going to be enthralled with HD, but I don't think so. This has to be an easy transition without a huge cost and hassle for the consumer. HD is better the DVD, but with smaller screens and less enthusiasm the "normal" consumer just isn't that interested, especially if it is going to frustrate him (format wars) and cost a pile of money. LD was better than VHS, but it never really got big - one reason was the cost of discs and players and that led to low availability and not much rental which = failure in the long run. Give them cheap players, cheap high quality discs, and don't frustrate them and they will come.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu
LD was better than VHS, but it never really got big - one reason was the cost of discs and players and that led to low availability and not much rental which = failure in the long run.
Anybody remember who much the first LD players were? I wasn't into this stuff much then. I do remember hearing very high prices for disks and don't expect that much here (more like $5-$10 premium to DVD for many of them).

--Darin

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.