AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the most amazing visual and auditory spectacles every year is the Rio Carnival parades in Brazil (which, like Mardi Gras, occur the night before Ash Wednesday).

The Paris-based channel "FTV" covers this for hours every year (and is available in North America by free Ku Band satellite if you have the equipment) - but it is in SD only.

Has anyone heard of any HD coverage of this event this year?

Only 3 days from now...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't think so, if it was to be on any HD channel I'd figure it'd be HDNET but I haven't seen anything on my guide about it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't think you are going to find it in HD.

The broadcast of the Rio carnaval parade is exclusivity of Rede Globo and as far as I know they only broadcast it in SD.

The amount of HDTV sets in Brazil is very minimal and there is no reason for Globo to invest in shooting it in HDTV.

I hope that will change it soon. For sure watch it in HD would be a treat because is such a beautiful spectacle.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Brazil has started their HD transmissions back in December. As far as I can remember reading while I was there when the transmissions took place, Globo would be producing this year's Carnaval in HD. In addition, I know for a fact that Maracana and Morumbi stadiums were already wired with fiber optics, as Globo wanted to broadcast the soccer matches in HD.

I'll check with some colleagues in Sao Paulo whether Globo Tv indeed broadcasted the carnaval this year in HD or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts