AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why don't they make the Replay TV play files served from Rio's Mp3 server (or a server for a rio receiver)? It has the network card...

I only have 1 network jack by my AV stuff downstairs...

-Shawn

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnSteele
I only have 1 network jack by my AV stuff downstairs...
Welll, if that's your problem then just buy a cheap 4-port ethernet hub with an uplink port to get more jacks (around $30 these days).

But seriously, the Replay 4000 (and now 4500) has the *potential* to decode MP3 files. According to this thread , the 4000s even have the MP3 player code in it, but it's disabled. It would be nice if Sonic Blue got around to enabling this code, but I'm sure it's just one of hundreds of potential new features they could add. Maybe a future release.

What Sonic Blue really needs is a combination audio/video "receiver". It should play MP3 music stored on the Rio Central or other Rio Receiver server, and it should play video programs stored on a Replay 4000. It should retail for no more than $199. I'd put one in every room. Since I hear the current Rio Receiver is discontinued, perhaps they're working on something new along these lines....

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Actually, if you have both a Rio Receiver and a ReplayTV, I'd suggest a switch rather than a hub. That way the 100Mbit ReplayTV won't be throttled by the 10Mbit Rio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.