AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for a product like this but haven't been able to find anything yet. I know Sony has a fairly expensive CD megachanger ($900) that allows you to rip 200 cds at a time to your computer. What I wonder about is the possibility of doing this without the Sony megachanger and perhaps just a regular Pioneer megachanger with a digital or analog output.

Does anyone know if software or a product exists that can do this?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Do it yourself for free with Exact Audio Copy and Mareo. EAC lets you adjust your optical drive parameters to obtain a bit-for-bit copy and sync up with AccurateRip for rip comparison and FreeDB for metadata. Mareo allows you to take the wav rips and convert them into several different encoding formats such as a lossless flac and lossy mp3.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did it one CD at a time using iTunes. Actually 2 at a time since I had 2 computers at the time. This was about 4 years ago and iTunes was one of the few free products I could find that allowed high quality ripping to MP3 files. Didn't take as long as I thought, even with around 250 CD's to rip.

·
Registered
284 Posts
AVOpus - What are you using to rip to WMA lossless that can do it in 60 seconds? Mine take forever.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I like itunes for ripping. I rip for my cheapo mp3 player so I'm not really critical about quality. It does a very good job of tagging the files and sorting them by artist/album. If the 100+ changer doesn't tag and sort the files then the system is useless.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I prefer CDex for ripping Cd's to hard disk, then Frontah
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/
http://home.vxu.se/mdati00/frontah/manual-main.html

to encode to .flac

I have found EAC to be too fickle and too anal-retentive.

Frontah is a GUI front end for any command line encoder. CDex will encode to MP3 by itself, as it includes an MP3 encoder.

CD ripping is fast and takes little CPU resources, so just have a stack of CDs next to your PC all the time, and pop one in every time you sit at the machine for web or office apps, or even while you watch a DVD or video from another drive.

If you dedicate a hard disk for music/audio only, you will fill it up sooner than you think with little effort.

I recommend encoding to flac, as you can basically double the amount of CD's you can store on a hard disk, or effectively turn a 300GB drive into 600GB, a 400GB to 800GB and so on, assuming you store nothing on the drive other than CD rips.

Flac is a lossless encoder with no patent or license issues:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Storing as flac is the same as the uncompressed .wav- I have tested many flac files, decoding back to wav and doing a bit compare between the original wav and the flac decoded wav, and they are identical.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOpus /forum/post/0

It takes me about 60 seconds / CD using WMA lossless. I think this is acceptable and since it can be done in the background while I am listening it doesn't ever bother me.

yup. wma lossless is what i use too... fast and effective (mathematically lossless).. maybe 1-2 min per CD on an older P4/2.8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.