AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
why is empire the best of the 6?

because irvin knew something about character development

and how to get actors to project believable emotions.

he will be missed but he left quite a legacy in that one movie.

·
Registered
28,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/19563543

why is empire the best of the 6?

because irvin knew something about character development

and how to get actors to project believable emotions.

A shame he couldn't do the same in either his James Bond or RoboCop movies.

Empire Strikes Back really seems to have been a remarkable fusion where everyone brought out the best in each other.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Never Say Never Again wasn't THAT bad. Granted, it's no Goldfinger, but I think there were some interesting things in it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
the guy was a class act and he new his craft well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Never Say Never Again was released the same year as Octopussy. I'll take NSNA every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Moore's movie, or most of Moore's Bond's for that matter. The great Klaus Maria Brandauer and Kim Basinger in her prime and Sean Friggin' Connery? No brainer. BTW, r.i.p. Mr. Kershner.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/19563593

A shame he couldn't do the same in either his James Bond or RoboCop movies.

Empire Strikes Back really seems to have been a remarkable fusion where everyone brought out the best in each other.

The second part explains the first part of your text. A director is of course one of the most important part of the production. But if the script isnt good, he will have a hard time doing anything magical with it. And basicly everything in a production is important.

If someone fails his or her part, everybody else looks bad. And some times everybody do their part, but are a bad combination together.

Kershner deserves to be remembered for Empire and not Robocop 2.

·
Registered
28,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19563647

Never Say Never Again wasn't THAT bad.

Oh, yes it is. It really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker /forum/post/19566289

Never Say Never Again was released the same year as Octopussy. I'll take NSNA every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Moore's movie, or most of Moore's Bond's for that matter. The great Klaus Maria Brandauer and Kim Basinger in her prime and Sean Friggin' Connery? No brainer.

You should watch them both again. Neither is top-shelf Bond, but NSNA has aged much more badly than Octopussy, which is at least deliberately campy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/19568915

The second part explains the first part of your text. A director is of course one of the most important part of the production. But if the script isnt good, he will have a hard time doing anything magical with it. And basicly everything in a production is important.

If someone fails his or her part, everybody else looks bad. And some times everybody do their part, but are a bad combination together.

Kershner deserves to be remembered for Empire and not Robocop 2.

I concur with everything you say here.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/19569179

Oh, yes it is. It really is.

You should watch them both again. Neither is top-shelf Bond, but NSNA has aged much more badly than Octopussy, which is at least deliberately campy.

Different strokes I suppose, but NSNA wasn't campy so much as it was tounge in cheek. Connery was having fun with his image and the character that created that image. Octopussy deliberately campy? IDK about that, it just seemed that the assembley line Bonds were just evolving that way naturally, which they seemed to realize and is why I suppose they went "serious" when T. Dalton came aboard.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
geez, the guy died. no need to rip the movies he directed.

even if every flick he directed totally sucked, he will always be remembered

for empire. it is an all time classic.

i don't think anyone can criticize him for directing the best of the s.w.

films and doing a better job then g.l.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Filmography
  • Stakeout on Dope Street (1958)
  • The Young Captives (1959)
  • Face in the Rain (1963)
  • The Luck of Ginger Coffey (1964)
  • A Fine Madness (1966)
  • The Flim-Flam Man (1967)
  • Loving (1970)
  • Up the Sandbox (1972)
  • S*P*Y*S (1974)
  • The Return of a Man Called Horse (1976)
  • Raid on Entebbe (1977)
  • Eyes of Laura Mars (1978)
  • Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
  • Never Say Never Again (1983)
  • The Last Temptation of Christ (actor) (1988)
  • RoboCop 2 (1990)
  • SeaQuest DSV (TV series) (1993)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvin_Kershner#Filmography

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Raid on Entebbe, The Luck of Ginger Coffey and The Flim-Flam Man are all really good. Eyes of Laura Mars has some flaws, but not too bad.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19569811

Raid on Entebbe, The Luck of Ginger Coffey and The Flim-Flam Man are all really good. Eyes of Laura Mars has some flaws, but not too bad.

RoE is like Friedkin's; Sorcerer. They both are excellent movies, but had the misfortune of being released in 1977 . . . the year Star Wars was released.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
In addition to his knowing "Kersh" via his USC days, Lucas has said that it was the director's work on another sequel - The Return of a Man Called Horse - that helped prompt George to approach Kershner about directing Empire.

·
Registered
28,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally /forum/post/19569602

geez, the guy died. no need to rip the movies he directed.

Conversely, just because he's dead doesn't mean we need to romanticize him as one of the greatest filmmakers of the last century. He had one masterpiece in him (ESB), and a handful of other decent movies, but also some junk too. Unfortunately, it was the latter that dominated his post-Star Wars work.

Quote:
even if every flick he directed totally sucked, he will always be remembered

for empire. it is an all time classic.

i don't think anyone can criticize him for directing the best of the s.w.

films and doing a better job then g.l.

I agree with this 100%, actually. My intent wasn't to disparage Kershner. Rather, I wish he could have brought that same magic he achieved with ESB to the James Bond and RoboCop franchises.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/19576386

Conversely, just because he's dead doesn't mean we need to romanticize him as one of the greatest filmmakers of the last century. He had one masterpiece in him (ESB), and a handful of other decent movies, but also some junk too. Unfortunately, it was the latter that dominated his post-Star Wars work.

I agree with this 100%, actually. My intent wasn't to disparage Kershner. Rather, I wish he could have brought that same magic he achieved with ESB to the James Bond and RoboCop franchises.

The 1st time I ever saw RoboCop 2, I felt the sequel was several clicks down on the quality meter than the Verhoven (sp?) original. When the end credits kicked in & "Kersh" was listed as director....I had no idea he had helmed the movie until I saw it.

My thought then was that maybe he wasn;t the best go to guy for sequels after all. But I think he had at least much better source material to direct in ESB than with RoboCop2.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Robocop 2 is definitely watchable and somewhat enjoyable. However, it is a "nasty" film, especially for children. Always thought this, even when I was 12 watching it.

As far as Empire, its "arguably", and only "arguably" the best of the SW films. My vote still goes for IV, though I consider them both neck-in-neck for different aspects.

RIP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts