AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
5,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read today in the Washington Post that Myer-Emco is shutting down after 55 years as a family owned AV business. Very sad.

Those who live it the Washington metropolitan area are probably very familiar with Myer-Emco. They were a staple at the long defunct Washington Hi-Fi Show. Many years ago I purchased the Carver C-4000 Sonic Holography pre-amp that Myer-Emco debuted at the show. That pre-amp was subsequently modified by Bob Carver himself when I dropped in to his old Woodenville, WA plant to say "hi" while on vacation in Washington state.

I purchased many items from Myer-Emco over the years from amplifiers, receivers, speakers, tvs, cables, etc. They were always friendly and knew more about their products than most anyone. Although I haven't bought much from them over the last several years, I always made it a point to stop by their Fairfax store just to see what was new whenever I was in the neighborhood.

They will be sorely missed by their many customers and fans.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
I imagine this scenario is playing out all over the country. Here in Houston, virtually all the old hi-fi shops that were around when I was a teenager back in the 70s have closed down - some bought out by chains, some shut down when the owner retired, etc.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Guess we have lost most all of them. Only a few small independent shops left. But truthfully , when I visited ME last they had almost nothing to show me, no product to demo and were as arrogant as ever. There is a small shop over in Millersville who still cares, a couple in Bethesda, the big guys downtown Balto, Ear up in Riestertown, and one last big store in Columbia. BB does not sell hi-fi. A fancy name does not cover up they sell mid-range Denons.

· Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I was rather saddened to read the news yesterday.

I guess I should'nt be too surprised given the trends in retail electronics and the extra bad economy of late...

I'm recalling my first purchase at a Myer-Emco store in Baileys Xroads Virginia back in 1985 where I bought a Nakamichi SR-4A receiver and a Nak BX-125 Cassette Player along with a Kyocera CD Player and my very first CD I owned was used as a demo by a Myer-Emco Sales person (Peter Gabriel - So). Still have it to this day and play the CD sometimes. Sounded so good on my B&W DM-220 Speakers which I also purchased from them.

So long ME, it sure was a good run but i do miss the true high-end equipment you used to sell in the old days that separated you from the others around town but in recent years you had to fight to adjust to consumer trends and stay around and your product line was more mainstream. Maybe some more former employees could band together and look for some smaller boutique store opportunity out there and fill a niche...

Steve B

Aldie, VA

· Registered
2,326 Posts
Yea, don't pick super expensive middle or Rockville or Gaithersburg location. Audio Pro moved from Laurel on Rt 1 to an industrial park of rt 32 in Annapolis Junction. Saved many thousands a month in rent. There is actually a Cambridge dealer in Bowie in the tech center, but they don't have a show-room as such.

· Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesst /forum/post/18128985

......Maybe some more former employees could band together and look for some smaller boutique store opportunity out there and fill a niche...

Steve B

Aldie, VA

This happened last May. The store is called IQ Home Entertainment (iq-av.com) and is in Fairfax right before 236 and 50 intersection in the same building that Audio Associates/Audio Buys/Tweeter occupied. For their startup story, search article # 249422 on twice.com

· Registered
2,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby-james /forum/post/18140762

Check out our website chesapeakesmarthomes if you are in need of any gear give us a call or send an email. We are a high end custom integration firm located in Stevensville MD. We travel to DC, DE, VA, and PA.

Cedia 2009 award winner for Large Home Theater Level VI: $391,000 - $670,000

I would not have guessed you would retail equipment. From your site, just install. Might post a list on your WEB of what manufactures you supply. I am guessing you have no plans for a showroom.

· Registered
2,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED27 /forum/post/18133323

This happened last May. The store is called IQ Home Entertainment (iq-av.com) and is in Fairfax right before 236 and 50 intersection in the same building that Audio Associates/Audio Buys/Tweeter occupied. For their startup story, search article # 249422 on twice.com

Not much in the stereo hardware line listed. A few good speakers. May drop in on them sometime. LONG drive though.

· Registered
2,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED27 /forum/post/18145467

Gramophone in Columbia isn't too far from Bowie. Nice store and the salespeople were generally pleasant the last time I was there. For 2-channel stuff they have Arcam, Classe, ML, McIntosh and Rotel.

Yes, they are much nicer. They also have Nad. No Arcam on display. That is where I heard the Totem's. Sweeeeet.

· Registered
223 Posts
It was just a matter of time before they went out of business. More people are doing research and buy the same equipment for cheaper prices compared to ME. The last time I visited ME, was at the fairfax location where a sales person demo'ed the SuperCube II. After getting some documentation and a price that was as high as the north star.. I left. Found the same product for $200 cheaper from a reputable Internet Seller... It was just a matter of time..

· Registered
5,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_SoulMan /forum/post/18160953

It was just a matter of time before they went out of business. More people are doing research and buy the same equipment for cheaper prices compared to ME. The last time I visited ME, was at the fairfax location where a sales person demo'ed the SuperCube II. After getting some documentation and a price that was as high as the north star.. I left. Found the same product for $200 cheaper from a reputable Internet Seller... It was just a matter of time..

Can an Internet seller demo their products for you? Of course their prices are cheaper. They don't have to pay for a salesman who will take their time to explain a product to you and give you a good demo. When I bought my last set of speakers from Myer-Emco (Polk RT-16s), I brought my own CDs and sat for over an hour comparing speakers. I picked what sounded best to me among several different brands. Can't do that on-line.

· Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:

So you had a salesman waste his time showing you a product with personal attention and then bought from an internet dealer?

Nice!

· Registered
3 Posts

Quote:

........More people are doing research and buy the same equipment for cheaper prices compared to ME......After getting some documentation and a price that was as high as the north star.. I left. Found the same product for $200 cheaper from a reputable Internet Seller...

Did you ask for a discount? In the past I've been able to get at least 10% to 15% off. Even more on profit items such as speakers and accessories.

· Registered
722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18123438

They will be sorely missed by their many customers and fans.

I was verbally abused in that place and talked down to more than once. My thought was, "OK, it's fine, because you guys will be out of business before too long ... it's just a matter of time."

Today's the day. Good riddance.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
damn it!!! all of these high end A/V retail stores are dropping like flies. I have fond memories of Meyer Emco....too bad they're closing down. The only high end retail store left around my area is Sound & Vision which I'm sure is going to shut down as well.

· Registered
5,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone /forum/post/18177415

I was verbally abused in that place and talked down to more than once. My thought was, "OK, it's fine, because you guys will be out of business before too long ... it's just a matter of time."

Today's the day. Good riddance.

Gee. I can just imagine what kind of attitude you went into the store with.

· Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesst /forum/post/18128985

Yeah, I was rather saddened to read the news yesterday.

I guess I should'nt be too surprised given the trends in retail electronics and the extra bad economy of late...

I'm recalling my first purchase at a Myer-Emco store in Baileys Xroads Virginia back in 1985 where I bought a Nakamichi SR-4A receiver and a Nak BX-125 Cassette Player along with a Kyocera CD Player and my very first CD I owned was used as a demo by a Myer-Emco Sales person (Peter Gabriel - So). Still have it to this day and play the CD sometimes. Sounded so good on my B&W DM-220 Speakers which I also purchased from them.

So long ME, it sure was a good run but i do miss the true high-end equipment you used to sell in the old days that separated you from the others around town but in recent years you had to fight to adjust to consumer trends and stay around and your product line was more mainstream. Maybe some more former employees could band together and look for some smaller boutique store opportunity out there and fill a niche...

Steve B

Aldie, VA

Is Nakamichi around anymore? They used to make some nice stuff but I do not hear of them either!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.