AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the newest handbrake 0.9.4 and I"m having some issues.

I have lots of ripped dvds that ripped using anydvd and clonedvd.

I'm trying to conver them into .mkv files and play them via Windows Media Center in my Windows 7 machine.

Using hanbrake I ripped those DVDs into .mkv files and the problem is that I get a thin, solid green line going across the screen at the bottom of the picture. Also the picture itself goes bright and dim at a high rate. Kind of like those old black and white movies. This can be duplicated using Windows Media Player as well.

Any of you know what could be cauaing this issues?

I've used handbrake with no problems in the same manner before in Vista before I upgraded to Windows 7 using the same machine.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
563 Posts
why use handbrake? Do you need to re-encode them for a smaller file size?

I'd use mkvmerge and make a 1:1 mkv of the original dvd.

If you do need to re-encode, you may have better luck with your issue in the handbrake forums.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/18222801

why use handbrake? Do you need to re-encode them for a smaller file size?

I'd use mkvmerge and make a 1:1 mkv of the original dvd.

If you do need to re-encode, you may have better luck with your issue in the handbrake forums.

Yes, i'm basically using a hanbrake to compress a DVD into a smaller .mkv file.

Is there a better/easier option?

Don't see where I can download mkvmerge.

thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/18223317

mkvmerge won't re-encode to a smaller file.

Ripbot is another tool you could look at. Never used it, so not sure if it is any easier than handbrake.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611

Thanks for the information. I just tried ripbot and unfortunately it doesn't let me configure things i want as handbrake does

Any other alternatives out there??

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm not sure. I'd maybe reconsider re-encoding. 1:1 dvd rips aren't that big and hard drive space is relatively cheap. Not to mention all the time you'd save yourself not having to re-encode.

If you decide to do 1:1 mkvmerge is easy to use.

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/18224770

I'm not sure. I'd maybe reconsider re-encoding. 1:1 dvd rips aren't that big and hard drive space is relatively cheap. Not to mention all the time you'd save yourself not having to re-encode.

If you decide to do 1:1 mkvmerge is easy to use.

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

I tried opening the 7zip archive file for windows but my machine won't recognice it. Do I need to download something in order to run the file?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The green line is caused by a problem with WMP. I've noticed it occasionally, and a google search turns up plenty of other people with the same problem, but no answer.

I strongly recommend you use a better media player, such as MPlayer or VLC. Both have all necessary codecs and filters built in, so there is no need to futz around with codec packs. I use SMPlayer , and it is excellent.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/18225279

download the installer instead.

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....2.0-setup.exe

Cool.. does this allow subtittles and all those options to be available when playing in Windows Media Center?

What are the settings that you recomend when I do a 1:1 from DVD to .mkv?

I want to be able to get good quality and stuff

·
Registered
563 Posts
Mkvmerge will package up subtitles, chapters, multiple audio tracks, etc. Though you need to make sure you include all of these when you rip the dvd.

I don't believe the WMC internal player supports subtitles (or at least the changing of subtitles). But if you use something like mpc-hc, then yes, you can make use of subtitles, chapters, different audio tracks, etc.

Mediea Control is a WMC plugin that supports the switching of audio tracks. I don't think it does anything with subtitles or chapters, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If compression to conserve disk space is of no conern to you than no reason to use Handbrake or Ripbot.

Since your target is MKV for 7MC playback then give Another EAC3to GUI Plus a shot. Quick, painless, simple GUI wrapper around the opensource tools commonly used in many other similar GUI programs and the best I've seen to date which has support for (forced) subs, chapters, HD, convert to flac or legacy.

Test your MKV files using MPC-HC to see if you're still having the green artifact issue. The green artifact could be bad encoding with handbrake, codec issue, Gfx driver issue. Are you using Win7 x86 or x64? What video card?

I use MPC-HC embedded within 7MC which to me has slightly better PQ.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell /forum/post/18237878

What do mean embedded within 7MC? How are you doing that? Or do you mean you have mpc launching from 7MC?

And doesn't Another EAC3to GUI Plus only work with bluray? OP has dvd, I believe.

·
Registered
563 Posts
^ gotcha. I am doing the same thing with MB and MPC

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell /forum/post/18237878

If compression to conserve disk space is of no conern to you than no reason to use Handbrake or Ripbot.

Since your target is MKV for 7MC playback then give Another EAC3to GUI Plus a shot. Quick, painless, simple GUI wrapper around the opensource tools commonly used in many other similar GUI programs and the best I've seen to date which has support for (forced) subs, chapters, HD, convert to flac or legacy.

Test your MKV files using MPC-HC to see if you're still having the green artifact issue. The green artifact could be bad encoding with handbrake, codec issue, Gfx driver issue. Are you using Win7 x86 or x64? What video card?

Disk space was a concern, thats why I was using handbrake. I guess it would be good idea to invest in a bigger hardrive now.

I'm using a 64bit Windows 7 machine with ATI video card. The machine used to be Vista and I had no green line when I used handbrake. After I upgraded to Windows 7 I started to get that green line issue.

I too use MB and I got to set up MPC within MB. However I don't like the fact that you have to close MPC in order to move around MB while playing a movie. I like how WMC keeps playing the movie while moving around the different menus. Thats why I want to convert my movies to .MKV.

Any of you know if WMC can play .ISO files?

Do you think .ISO would have better quality than 1:1 MKV file?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I converted dvd .iso to .mkv using makemkv 1:1 and the quality looks terrible on WMC. WMC can play the dvd if MB mounts the iso file.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisito /forum/post/18240431

Disk space was a concern, thats why I was using handbrake. I guess it would be good idea to invest in a bigger hardrive now.

I'm using a 64bit Windows 7 machine with ATI video card. The machine used to be Vista and I had no green line when I used handbrake. After I upgraded to Windows 7 I started to get that green line issue.

I too use MB and I got to set up MPC within MB. However I don't like the fact that you have to close MPC in order to move around MB while playing a movie. I like how WMC keeps playing the movie while moving around the different menus. Thats why I want to convert my movies to .MKV.

Any of you know if WMC can play .ISO files?

Do you think .ISO would have better quality than 1:1 MKV file?

If the file is 1:1 there should be no difference in picture quality. mkv is just a container - if you do 1:1 it will be identical in quality to playing the original dvd.

I don't believe wmc can play iso natively. think you have to use something like PowerDVD or TMT

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by qthai99 /forum/post/18242426

I converted dvd .iso to .mkv using makemkv 1:1 and the quality looks terrible on WMC. WMC can play the dvd if MB mounts the iso file.

Really? I didn't think the quality would be much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare /forum/post/18242809

If the file is 1:1 there should be no difference in picture quality. mkv is just a container - if you do 1:1 it will be identical in quality to playing the original dvd.

I don't believe wmc can play iso natively. think you have to use something like PowerDVD or TMT

Thats what thought. I guess I just have to try it and see the results.

is the conversion fast from DVD to .MKV 1:1 fast using makemkv ?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have never done a 1:1 dvd (back in my dvd days, I was doing handbrake like you).

With my blurays, it takes about 8 to 15 minutes (quad core) depending on the movie. I would imagine dvd should be significantly shorter. Note, this assumes you already have the dvd/bluray ripped to your computer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts