AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

I ripped about a Tb of movies (mostly Disney stuff for my daughter) with DVD shrink. Created separate Audio and Video Ts files for each. Upgraded to VMC 64 and Win7 RC MC, and neither can open the files.

Search didn't help, but I think its an easy fix. Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Joel

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 /forum/post/16976842

Hey all:

I ripped about a Tb of movies (mostly Disney stuff for my daughter) with DVD shrink. Created separate Audio and Video Ts files for each. Upgraded to VMC 64 and Win7 RC MC, and neither can open the files.

Search didn't help, but I think its an easy fix. Any suggestions?

Thanx,

Joel

Install MediaBrowser

Also, if in Vista and you want to play in the default VMC library you need to do the registry hack. Here is a good post regarding that I was just discussing over on another forum:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...=5022&start=15

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Dbone, the reg hack is unnecessary in Win7? I'm populating my libraries now, but I tried to open the first ripped VOB, and it didn't show anything, but it may not have been totally transferred. I noted in the other thread, you referenced the "Media Center Connect", is that the reg hack referred to in the previous post, or is that also unnecessary for Win7? Thanx,

Joel

·
Registered
701 Posts
Windows 7 should need nothing to display and play a DVDShrink rip, I've got it running right now, I do however also use Media browser because it looks fantastic and runs more than well enough. I do highly suggest it.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 /forum/post/16979010

Thanx Dbone, the reg hack is unnecessary in Win7? I'm populating my libraries now, but I tried to open the first ripped VOB, and it didn't show anything, but it may not have been totally transferred. I noted in the other thread, you referenced the "Media Center Connect", is that the reg hack referred to in the previous post, or is that also unnecessary for Win7? Thanx,

Joel

Sorry, the reg hack is only needed in Vista, not W7. Also, Media Center Connect is something used if your media is saved on WHS, so in your case it wouldn't apply. Did you have any luck getting the DVDs to work? If not there are still a few other work arounds.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/16979647

Also, Media Center Connect is something used if your media is saved on WHS, so in your case it wouldn't apply. Did you have any luck getting the DVDs to work? If not there are still a few other work arounds.

what? this is completely wrong info.

while media center (7mc) can play ripped dvd's from a whs box, that is certainly not the only device it can play files from.

7mc doesn't care what, where or how you store your media files (dvds, videos, pictures, music, etc.) as long as it can see them and you have the proper codecs installed. in 7mc, you need nothing else to play dvds as long as they are properly ripped.

can you play the files in media player? do you only have vobs in the video_ts directory? you should also have .ifo and .bup files. The .ifo files are necessary, the .bup (backup ifos) are not. Also, you don't need a audio_ts directory.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/16980081

what? this is completely wrong info.

while media center (7mc) can play ripped dvd's from a whs box, that is certainly not the only device it can play files from.

7mc doesn't care what, where or how you store your media files (dvds, videos, pictures, music, etc.) as long as it can see them and you have the proper codecs installed. in 7mc, you need nothing else to play dvds as long as they are properly ripped.

can you play the files in media player? do you only have vobs in the video_ts directory? you should also have .ifo and .bup files. The .ifo files are necessary, the .bup (backup ifos) are not. Also, you don't need a audio_ts directory.

Huh, did I ever say that ripped DVDs could only be played from a WHS box??? Joel was simply asking about Media Center Connect which was in a post on a separate WHS FORUM.

Also, please note that Joel asked about BOTH W7 and VMC, the reason why mentioning registry hacks, etc... was necessary.

Please try to follow along with the entire thread before saying that someone is giving wrong information

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
For W7 try the following:

Go to the "Movies" menu item. Right click, go to "Manage Library". Then "Add Folder" -> "Add Folders On this Computer (including mapped drives) -> Select the folder(s) where your movies are located. Click select and finish. Now you shoudl be back in the "Movies" UI and most likely there will be a message saying that 7MC is looking for videos. Shortly after your movies should show (here is a screenshot of 7MC on my HTPC).

This is only for the default 7MC library. MediaBrowser is a separate video library UI for 7MC which I highly recommend

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx Damian, I loaded my Win7 with the movies (I catalogued them under videos), and they show up with VTS and ATS, are still in one folder under the movie title, but have several separate subfolders.

I selected a folder like Anastasia (yeah, I know, but I have a 6 yr old), and it shows the 1:30 duration, begins the audio playback, but no video. Even if I select one of the VTS files, still no playback. These are files ripped by DVD Shrink, and on the other MCE systems, although they show with one audio ts. and one video ts file, they "just play". Not sure if this is a decoder issue, or something else going on.

And again, this is the Win7 RC 7100 version.

Anyone having this problem, or resolved it?

Thanx,

Joel

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 /forum/post/16981567

Thanx Damian, I loaded my Win7 with the movies (I catalogued them under videos), and they show up with VTS and ATS, are still in one folder under the movie title, but have several separate subfolders.

I selected a folder like Anastasia (yeah, I know, but I have a 6 yr old), and it shows the 1:30 duration, begins the audio playback, but no video. Even if I select one of the VTS files, still no playback. These are files ripped by DVD Shrink, and on the other MCE systems, although they show with one audio ts. and one video ts file, they "just play". Not sure if this is a decoder issue, or something else going on.

And again, this is the Win7 RC 7100 version.

Anyone having this problem, or resolved it?

Thanx,

Joel

Can you confirm, in 7MC you are trying to access your videos thruogh the Video Library under "Pictures and Videos"?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Joel - if you are seeing the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders you are accessing under Videos Library.

You need to access your library from the "Movies" section. I just retested and when I access my collection from the "Videos" Libray I see the Video_TS/Audio_TS folder, and the individual vobs which is not what you want. When I access under the "Movies" section as I laid out before it will treat these movies as actual DVDs, not a bunch of files within a folder.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I just randomly picked videos over movies. So even though they're stored as videos, I should load them as movies, and the proper codecs will apply? I won't be home 'til tonight, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanx Damien ;-)

Joel

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 /forum/post/16982032

Cool, I just randomly picked videos over movies. So even though they're stored as videos, I should load them as movies, and the proper codecs will apply? I won't be home 'til tonight, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanx Damien ;-)

Joel

Videos looks to go through a directory type structure, so it just sees the Video_TS folder as any other folder with some video files in it. The Movies section will actually recognize Video_TS as a DVD and play as such.

I remoted in to my HTPC a few minutes ago and confirmed this as well. Good luck and post an update when you have a chance to work on.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol, uh, yup, that was IT! Simply calling the files "movies" instead of "videos" solved my issue :)

Thanx Damian, feels good to resolve something so simply. . . .now if I can just get my HDHR to run in Win7. ;. . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts