AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to attempt to rip all the audio tracks off a DTS Video DVD and was wondering the best/easiest way of doing this.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
258 Posts
Assuming the DVD is yours and you're making a backup...

Rip the relevant VOB from the DVD using your favorite DVD ripper that allows stream processing. You'll have at least a M2V file from the video and at least a PCM track, and a .dts file.

Not sure what you'll do with the DTS data. DTS DVD data is encoded at 48KHz audio samples, CD DTS is at 44.1KHz.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just want to make a DTS CD to listen to the concert when I don't want to watch it, makes it a little easier when I insert the disc :)

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
OK, that probably isn't possible strictly in the digital domain.

The DVD DTS encoding is done at 48KHz and CD DTS CDs are at 44.1KHz. Even if you ripped the DTS from the DVD (easy) you would need to transcode the DTS into six (one channel per file) raw PCM files (I don't have a solution for that), resample each file to 44.1 (easy, but quality really suffers) and then encode the six files back to DTS (easy, use Surcode DTS, $495).

If the DVD was dolby digital, it would be very easy. The DTS "format" is fairly locked down, no "free" software or inexpensive software will let you transcode from DTS to PCM.

I haven't tried, but... If you can live with hi-quality two channel CD, play the DVD in your DVD player and connect your PC to the L-R outputs of the DVD player and digitize the 2-ch downmix. I don't know if a downmix of DTS is available on L-R analog, but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the DVD has both DD and DTS, so would that be any easier? If so, could you be specific?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
258 Posts
As far as Dolby digital (AC3) is concerned, this is done quite often. "Soft Encode" and "Head Ac3he" will convert AC3 to/from raw PCM wav files.

So, rip the AC3 audio only from the DVD's VOB. Convert to PCM with program of your choice. Convert the files to 44.1KHz and re-encode back to AC3. Write this file to a blank CD-R as a CD-Audio disc.

Here's a much more detailed description:

http://www.5dot1.com/ac-3_5_1_audio_onto_a_cd-r.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfrjim
I was going to attempt to rip all the audio tracks off a DTS Video DVD and was wondering the best/easiest way of doing this.

Thanks,

Jim
I'm no expert at this (actually, I'm just learning), but I've been able to successfully transfer from DVD both video and audio content to HD using Freeware I found from these sources:

http://dvd2svcd.doom9.net/

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvd2svcd.htm

http://www.riphelp.com/articles/dvdripping.html

...I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but if it's only the audio content in its original format that you're trying to copy, the DVD3SVCD progy will do the job.

Good luck,

Craig

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been playing with these programs for the past week and come to realize, I can rip DTS files but can only break them up into small .dts files, anybody know a way to convert to a playable media? The other way was to rip the AC3 info and converting them with BeSure/Surcode, it works ok, but would prefer the first options because of the purity and dynamics of a true DTS track.

So, 2 questions:

1) Any way to play a .dts file(converting in anyway?)

2) Also, sometimes when I rip the tracks from a concert, there is dialogue at the ends/beginings of the song, what is the best way to edit or can a .wav file be edited in a normal editor even though it is a DTS wav file?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
602 Posts
Use smartripper and rip the DVD "MOVIE" into seperate chapter files on the HD. Then use VOBRator to select each VOB chapter and extract the DTS to a WAV file. Then You can use Winamp and the ASIO plug-in to pass through the unaltered encoded DTS wav file into your home audio receiver.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shawn, that worked great, thanks. Is there anyway of burning the tracks and playing them on my RP82? It just plays static on each track when burned with Nero.

Jim

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have ripped and burned conventional DTS audio tracks but never from a DVD so I can't give you an answer. If you already tried to make a standard audio cd by dragging and dropping the wav files and it didn't work then I don't know what to suggest.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This may be a wild goose chase -- I've heard mention of a "mini-dvd" format which is basically a CD burnt with the same data structures as a DVD. I don't even know if "mini-dvd" is the official name for it, or even if there is an official name. But, if you could figure out how to do this (probably requires some DVD mastering software) you could probably use the original 48KHz DTS tracks without any re-sampling and without the original video and then you could probably play the "mini-dvd" in your regular DVD player.

If you do figure out how to do this, be sure to post the procedure here for the rest of us...

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
I've heard mention of a "mini-dvd" format which is basically a CD burnt with the same data structures as a DVD
I've been thinking of this since I started this thread and the DTS tracks seem to be impossible to play with "normal" DVD stand alone players. I think the software though will be expensive to do this project though..

But will update this thread if I come along a procedure to do this.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.