AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current process of ripping my Blu-Ray collection to mkv is (1st) HDDVD Fab for the .mt2s streams & (2nd) Handbreak to strip out everything else and condense the file size. Depending on the movie content, some get 1080p and others go to 720p.

I'm noticing that my final file doesn't have chapter breaks or subtitles. Do I not have the ability to retain these features through this two program process? I've seen how MakeMKV gives those two to me, but the filesize is huge and I don't know what my next step should be. I've tried taking the MakeMKV result into Handbreak, but the resulting file's playback is pretty messed up.

I'm currently streaming through my XBOX360 with the help of a previous Shark007 codec pack on my Win7 PC. I plan on streaming through my WDTV device as soon as my cables arrive. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbotello1981 /forum/post/20880253

My current process of ripping my Blu-Ray collection to mkv is (1st) HDDVD Fab for the .mt2s streams & (2nd) Handbreak to strip out everything else and condense the file size. Depending on the movie content, some get 1080p and others go to 720p.

I'm noticing that my final file doesn't have chapter breaks or subtitles. Do I not have the ability to retain these features through this two program process? I've seen how MakeMKV gives those two to me, but the filesize is huge and I don't know what my next step should be. I've tried taking the MakeMKV result into Handbreak, but the resulting file's playback is pretty messed up.

I'm currently streaming through my XBOX360 with the help of a previous Shark007 codec pack on my Win7 PC. I plan on streaming through my WDTV device as soon as my cables arrive. Any help would be appreciated.

If you rip to m2ts you lose the chapters. I would recommend you use DVDFab and rip to Blu-ray folder structure. This will keep the chapters in tact and allow handbrake to read. I do a similar process expect I use AnyDVD + Clown_BD to rip to main movie Blu-ray structure and then Handbrake to encode (for creating a secondary mobile version)

EDIT - you may already be using DVDFab to rip to Blu-ray folder structure, so with handbrake just make sure you are choosing the Add Folder option and not the Add file option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20880670

If you rip to m2ts you lose the chapters. I would recommend you use DVDFab and rip to Blu-ray folder structure. This will keep the chapters in tact and allow handbrake to read. I do a similar process expect I use AnyDVD + Clown_BD to rip to main movie Blu-ray structure and then Handbrake to encode (for creating a secondary mobile version)

EDIT - you may already be using DVDFab to rip to Blu-ray folder structure, so with handbrake just make sure you are choosing the Add Folder option and not the Add file option.

Okay, within DVDfab, do I use the "blu-ray ripper" or "blu-ray copy" option? I've been using the "blu-ray copy" option and ripping the main movie, but that's where I ended up with the m2ts files. Which way do you suggest I need to go?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
I would do:

1. Rip BD in MKV by MakeMKV (HD audio, PGS subtitles are intact, chapters are present.)

2. Re-encode the MKV file by RipBot264 (a GUI of x264, similar to HandBrake, well-maintained at Doom9's Forum) that keeps HD audio intact. But I think PGS subtitles are still lost. So,

3. Add the original MKV file and the re-encoded MKV file to mkvmerge GUI, extract necessary streams from them (the re-encoded video stream from the latter; HD audio streams, subtitle streams and chapters from the former), then merge them into a single MKV.

Actually I use the above method not to reduce the file size (HDDs are so cheap nowadays) but to convert interlaced VC-1 (a bit difficult to play in the MKV format) to interlaced H.264 (much easier to play).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20883473

I would do:

1. Rip BD in MKV by MakeMKV (HD audio, PGS subtitles are intact, chapters are present.)

2. Re-encode the MKV file by RipBot264 (a GUI of x264, similar to HandBrake, well-maintained at Doom9's Forum) that keeps HD audio intact. But I think PGS subtitles are still lost. So,

3. Add the original MKV file and the re-encoded MKV file to mkvmerge GUI, extract necessary streams from them (the re-encoded video stream from the latter; HD audio streams, subtitle streams and chapters from the former), then merge them into a single MKV.

Actually I use the above method not to reduce the file size (HDDs are so cheap nowadays) but to convert interlaced VC-1 (a bit difficult to play in the MKV format) to interlaced H.264 (much easier to play).

What kind of file sizes are you talking about in regards to 1080p rips? I'm really liking my ~4GB 1080p rips of heavy CGI movies, but like I originally stated, I'd like to have those subtitles and will gladly try this method later.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbotello1981 /forum/post/20883859

What kind of file sizes are you talking about in regards to 1080p rips? I'm really liking my ~4GB 1080p rips of heavy CGI movies, but like I originally stated, I'd like to have those subtitles and will gladly try this method later.

The MakeMKV portion does not encode so you will have the original file size. RipBot will handle encoding down, and the file size will depend on the profile you use.

Regarding DVDFab it sounds like you are doing everything correct, When you use Handbrake are you adding the created m2ts file or are you adding the ripped Blu-ray folder structure?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20883863

The MakeMKV portion does not encode so you will have the original file size. RipBot will handle encoding down, and the file size will depend on the profile you use.

Regarding DVDFab it sounds like you are doing everything correct, When you use Handbrake are you adding the created m2ts file or are you adding the ripped Blu-ray folder structure?

When using Handbrake, I've just been adding the m2ts file. I didn't know which folder to add. I'm sure you're aware, but once I'm done with DVDfab, I have the main folder. Then there's the "BDMV" & "Certificate" folders. Under "BDMV", there's several sub-folders in which there is a "STREAM" folder that contains the m2ts file. Which "folder structure" should I be adding?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbotello1981 /forum/post/20883884

When using Handbrake, I've just been adding the m2ts file. I didn't know which folder to add. I'm sure you're aware, but once I'm done with DVDfab, I have the main folder. Then there's the "BDMV" & "Certificate" folders. Under "BDMV", there's several sub-folders in which there is a "STREAM" folder that contains the m2ts file. Which "folder structure" should I be adding?

That is why you are losing chapters in handbrake. In handbrake you want to choose add folder and then point handbrake to the root folder where you movie is (so for example if you ripped Avatar point Handbrake to the Avatar folder (which then contains the BDMV, STREAM, etc... folders)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20883903

That is why you are losing chapters in handbrake. In handbrake you want to choose add folder and then point handbrake to the root folder where you movie is (so for example if you ripped Avatar point Handbrake to the Avatar folder (which then contains the BDMV, STREAM, etc... folders)

Thank you very much. I will give it a go when I get home later today as I'm currently at work and give you an update.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbotello1981 /forum/post/20883906

Thank you very much. I will give it a go when I get home later today as I'm currently at work and give you an update.

No problem, good luck. I do this all the time with Handbrake to create mobile versions of my Blu-ray rips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20883970

No problem, good luck. I do this all the time with Handbrake to create mobile versions of my Blu-ray rips.

I don't really have any need to convert to any mobile device right now. I'm viewing these rips on my 120" projector so I'd like to have the highest quality while keeping the file size as low as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, so after I ripped through DVDfab and got the folder structure, I selected the main movie folder (containing all sub-folders) with Handbreak. I still am not getting subtitles. I know Handbrake looks/asks for the srt file, but I don't see any "srt" file in any of the folders from DVDfab. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Blu-ray's subtitle is PGS, high-quality bitmap images. SRT is text-based subtitles. To get SRT from PGS, OCR is required! Unless you reduce the video resolution to 720p, keeping PGS subtitles in the final video is the best solution (the size of PGS subtitles is still very small compared to video). Stupidly DVDFab does not support PGS subtitles. Check my post above for a better solution.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/20891936

Blu-ray's subtitle is PGS, high-quality bitmap images. SRT is text-based subtitles. To get SRT from PGS, OCR is required! Unless you reduce the video resolution to 720p, keeping PGS subtitles in the final video is the best solution (the size of PGS subtitles is still very small compared to video). Stupidly DVDFab does not support PGS subtitles. Check my post above for a better solution.

In regards to your solution, I'm attempting to install ripbot. Out of the 4 required components needed to be installed, I have a question about Avisynth. There's multiple "builds" and I just want to make sure I install the correct one. I've got a Win 7 Pro 64bit system with an AMD cpu. Which build do I need?

Also, are there any recommended settings for these components that you recommend?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
 2.6.0 Alpha 3 should work. Personally I am using 2.5.8 + 2.5.8 MT.

Ripbot264 uses these components automatically, no user customization is required (nor possible). Just launch RipBot264 and configure it properly (basically select a correct CRF depending on your target file size). You can ignore audio and subtitle streams there. Use mkvmerge to grab the re-encoded video stream and combine it with the audio/subtitle streams you want into a single file.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I believe .mkv files are compatible with .pgs if you use a newer version of HC-MPC and use the internal mkv splitter. This was a recently added feature about nine months ago. It was discussed in a thread in this sub (Home Theater Computers) when the feature was added. I use .pgs subs in my .mkvs and only had trouble with Avatar so far.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostclusters /forum/post/20892505

I believe .mkv files are compatible with .pgs if you use a newer version of HC-MPC and use the internal mkv splitter. This was a recently added feature about nine months ago. It was discussed in a thread in this sub (Home Theater Computers) when the feature was added. I use .pgs subs in my .mkvs and only had trouble with Avatar so far.

What trouble are you having with Avatar? I tested with Avatar and the pgs subs displayed correctly (although my latest testings was using LAV Splitter with MPC HC)

·
Registered
202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 /forum/post/20892515

What trouble are you having with Avatar? I tested with Avatar and the pgs subs displayed correctly (although my latest testings was using LAV Splitter with MPC HC)

My subs would not display. But I was using and still use the internal .mkv splitter. As a simple fix I resorted to using a .srt sub file.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, something weird has started happening. So, I rip a blu-ray using MakeMKV to a folder. When it's done ripping and I go to the folder the mkv file is located in using windows explorer, windows explorer crashes. And it happens just by clicking on the folder. I can click on any other folder around it just fine. This leads me to believe the resulting MakeMKV .mkv file is affecting the folder? Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbotello1981 /forum/post/20900207

Okay, something weird has started happening. So, I rip a blu-ray using MakeMKV to a folder. When it's done ripping and I go to the folder the mkv file is located in using windows explorer, windows explorer crashes. And it happens just by clicking on the folder. I can click on any other folder around it just fine. This leads me to believe the resulting MakeMKV .mkv file is affecting the folder? Your thoughts?

Something (for example, Haali Media Splitter) must be trying to create thumbnails for MKV files, and it happens to fail with the MKV file you created. The disabling "Enable thumbnails extraction" will fix the problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.