AVS Forum banner

8781 - 8800 of 11637 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I remember us discussing this a couple months ago.

One reason is I'd already ripped a bunch of content to drives. When researching drivepool, I learned it manages what data ends up on what drive and I like to control what ends up where. Plus I'd have to copy everything into the pool and many of my drives are already filled to capacity. The solution I ended up with appeals to my meticulous nature :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I remember us discussing this a couple months ago.

One reason is I'd already ripped a bunch of content to drives. When researching drivepool, I learned it manages what data ends up on what drive and I like to control what ends up where. Plus I'd have to copy everything into the pool and many of my drives are already filled to capacity. The solution I ended up with appeals to my meticulous nature :)
I get what you're saying, however, this feature can be done. As you can see from the picture, when selecting the file "movies" I can check the box next to the drive that I want the movies to be stored onto. I have three HDDs at the moment to choose from. Since I like my drives to be equally balanced (I applied that plug-in rule or whatever it is called with DrivePool) I obviously would want all the HDD boxes to be checked. If I didn't enable the plugin to balance drives equally and wanted to control where each folder/file ended up I could by checked the respective HDD boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
These two programs are interesting. I assume FlexRAID can work within a Windows environment? I'm going to look into this. I span my 5 HDDs in Windows so they show up as one drive, but I don't have the benefit of re-balancing the free space.

Let's say in talking about a single m2ts file which could be let's say, 25GB. In a drive pool, could that file be split among different disks? Or would it split an ISO? I'm thinking no because it's a single file where as it might split a bunch of different separate files that are in a folder.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
@fatherom
Another alternative is the drive pooling software sold by FlexRaid.
http://wiki.flexraid.com/about/flexraid-storage-pooling/
In my research (over a year ago) I decided against FlexRAID. There were several reasons.... at the time FlexRAID's website was down (for well over 3 weeks) and support was none existent. There was a mass exodus (on this forum) from FlexRAID to Stablebits products. FlexRAID (f) was causing a whole bunch of problems for users. One notable problem is the parity features wasn't doing its job by repairing the array in the event of a drive failure. Several members tested this by physically disconnecting the drive as if the drive completely died.

On the other hand, DrivePool offered a simplistic way of pooling the storage and endless possibilities on how to manage that pool. Furthermore, Stablebits Scanner supposedly warns the user of any potential drive malfunctions months in advance of a failure. My original motivation for a pool was to go beyond the storage capabilities of a single drive without having multiple folders or drives show up on the network. Drivepool does just what I want in regard to that. I was going to download and enable a parity solution but haven't felt like I needed it with Scanner and file duplication enabled.

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts
What keeps me and others from considering Stablebit? WINDOZE and all of the crap it brings.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
What keeps me and others from considering Stablebit? WINDOZE and all of the crap it brings.
I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't had many if any problems at all having Windows run my media server. Really the only problems I've had were to do with beginners experience and/or being picky/selective of the software that I utilized. All in all though Windows performs as expected... stable and incredibly user friendly.

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. I haven't had many if any problems at all having Windows run my media server. Really the only problems I've had were to do with beginners experience and/or being picky/selective of the software that I utilized. All in all though Windows performs as expected... stable and incredibly user friendly.
Just like some here are incredibly ... obsessively? ... "detail oriented" in knowing where every bit is stored, some here seem .. irrationally? .. loathsome toward Windows. Re-reading some recent pages on the subject will explain. Somebody .. Kelson? ... characterized it as an OS that wants to be your world.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I love windows. When left alone, like my server and htpc, it normally runs without any problems. That is, until win10 and all its random auto updates, but even that has gotten a lot better.
@jhughy2010 no need for parity if you're doing duplication. You just eat up a lot more space is all.

Question for you drivepool users: any of you using the ssd landing disc option? Ever notice that the drive balancer doesn't work as well as when not using the ssd option?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Just like some here are incredibly ... obsessively? ... "detail oriented" in knowing where every bit is stored, some here seem .. irrationally? .. loathsome toward Windows. Re-reading some recent pages on the subject will explain. Somebody .. Kelson? ... characterized it as an OS that wants to be your world.

Jeff
I'm definitely not a windows fan-boy. But I have to disagree with the ones that say it is a horrible choice for an OS at server tasks. There is a reason major corporations use windows over other OS choices like Linux.

I have considered strongly unRAID. If I didn't already own a windows 10 product key I would consider unRAID... In fact I could almost guarantee I would at least try it because I've read so much positive things about it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I love windows. When left alone, like my server and htpc, it normally runs without any problems. That is, until win10 and all its random auto updates, but even that has gotten a lot better.
@jhughy2010 no need for parity if you're doing duplication. You just eat up a lot more space is all.

Question for you drivepool users: any of you using the ssd landing disc option? Ever notice that the drive balancer doesn't work as well as when not using the ssd option?
I have my archived pictures and documents file duplicated (not much more than 100GB used) but the bulk of my storage (media) isn't duplicated. When I rebuild my server I'll likely add disParity. Does anyone know if the disc that I use for disParity need to stay separate from the pool?

I'm not sure what the SSD landing disc option is? Is it the same as the SSD optimizer plug in?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I'm using a Lacie 4Big to store my media. Works well but it's not easily expandable the way the other products mentioned are. But it's fast and does the job. Got it off eBay for an incredible price.

In fact, I had a drive failure over the holidays. I replaced the drive and waited and waited (days)... Turns out the first replacement was a bad drive so I replaced it with another. Within hours the rebuild was complete.

Since I use a Mac it was a journaled HFS+ drive. What got affected was the journal and man! was that a pain to correct.

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts
I have never loved MS, but my bad feelings toward them shot up when they snuck a bunch of crap onto my Win 7 installations to "prepare" my computer for Win 10 and to nag me to do it. I find that incredibly offensive. As a computer user, I love Windows (7). As a consumer, I hate MS. So, love/hate.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I thought that uninstalling that update would remove the nagging, but no. I still have those annoying popups EVERY time. And I don't want to install another piece of software just to subdue it so I let it be. Eventually they will get smart and remove it.

I looked at Stablebits, flexraid, and drive bender. Shame that DB went under. Seemed like a cool product. They blame their demise on Windows Storage Spaces. Wonder how Stablebits is holding up.

I like my Win7 span with an off-line backup. I wish it had parity (not duplication) AND the ability to add space on the fly. Storage Spaces has this but there is talk that the parity option eats way too much space.

Since I went medieval on my win7 pc to strip it of all things, it's been great so far as a server. Very stable and purring along. I was thinking about starting a thread dedicated to people who exclusively use Windows 7/8/10 as their server. What do you guys think? This thread prob isn't the best place.

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts
I thought that uninstalling that update would remove the nagging, but no. I still have those annoying popups EVERY time. And I don't want to install another piece of software just to subdue it so I let it be. Eventually they will get smart and remove it.

I looked at Stablebits, flexraid, and drive bender. Shame that DB went under. Seemed like a cool product. They blame their demise on Windows Storage Spaces. Wonder how Stablebits is holding up.

I like my Win7 span with an off-line backup. I wish it had parity (not duplication) AND the ability to add space on the fly. Storage Spaces has this but there is talk that the parity option eats way too much space.

Since I went medieval on my win7 pc to strip it of all things, it's been great so far as a server. Very stable and purring along. I was thinking about starting a thread dedicated to people who exclusively use Windows 7/8/10 as their server. What do you guys think? This thread prob isn't the best place.
I think there would be constant sniping between the 7 and 10 users, and both of those would gang up on the 8 users. ;)

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
In my research (over a year ago) I decided against FlexRAID. . . . There was a mass exodus (on this forum) from FlexRAID to Stablebits products. . . . One notable problem is the parity features wasn't doing its job by repairing the array in the event of a drive failure. Several members tested this by physically disconnecting the drive as if the drive completely died.

On the other hand, DrivePool offered a simplistic way of pooling the storage and endless possibilities on how to manage that pool.
Thank you for the information. I'll take a look at Stable-Bits. One thing I will ask -- with StableBits, does each drive in a pooled array still have to have a Windows drive letter assigned? With the FlexRaid drive pooling software (which can be purchased separately from their RAID-F module) they do not. This is important for people with a lot of drives attached who are running out of drive letters.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
Somebody .. Kelson? ... characterized it as an OS that wants to be your world.
Yes, me.
Win-10 is the most intrusive OS I've ever encountered. Out of the box it gives MS access to way more on your PC, including a lot of your personal information, than they should ever be allowed to have. And all of it for the purpose of targeting you with "appropriate" advertising by their 3rd party "partners". I went through something like 10 screens of security settings to turn off and deny access to my information they had no right to be intruding upon. This is not the function of an OS. One would have to be crazy to use their Edge browser or allow their Cortana spy-ware to be active.

I am currently using Win-10 as the OS on my Media-PC/server. Some issues I was having with stability seem to have been cured by a recent driver update for my port-replicating eSATA controller. So for the time being, I'm leaving Win-10 running -- especially after I have taken all the time to disable and uninstall all the spy/crap-ware that gets installed along with it. That is, all the crap-ware I'm "allowed" by MS to uninstall -- can't get rid of the X-Box garbage. I'm still planning on eventually returning it to Win-7 Pro if future Win-10 updates don't address the network stack. Under Win-7 I had PCServer network transfer rates of 110MB/s. Under Win-10 that has dropped to 60MB/s. Those are transfer rates similar to what I had under Win-XP which was one of the reasons I upgraded from XP to Win-7.

A thread on Win-10 as a media server would be useful if it was targeted to help users with configuring to use as a server, locking out the intrusions and getting rid of the crap-ware.

Reactions: techflaws

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts
This is important for people with a lot of drives attached who are running out of drive letters.
Twenty-six letters is the new 64k?

8781 - 8800 of 11637 Posts