AVS Forum banner

11601 - 11620 of 11637 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is a 1080p iTunes downloaded movie about the same image quality as a movie that has been ripped from a Blu-ray disc and then compressed with Handbrake down to the same size of the iTunes 1080p downloaded movie, assuming that both are H.264 and are from the same mastered source?
Pretty much. Although they have experts in compression who know how to choose the best settings and I suspect they do multi-pass with variable bit rates. There are many setting in Handbrake for H.264 compression and knowing how to optimize them quality/size is important. And an efficient encode takes time.

·
Registered
22,167 Posts
Has anyone else been dealing with the new BD: The Cotton Club Encore?
Some kind of playlist shenanigans going on there. AnyDVD got it wrong, trying Fab now. AnyDVD says that [URL=https://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=830]#830 [/URL] is correct but I think its not. I'm doing full disc backup.

Edit to add: Fab and MakeMKV are also getting this one wrong.
AnyDVD has got this one sorted, so you can now rip the full disc and have it play correctly. I was informed that there were some 50-odd branch points that each had to be manually patched. #830 is still the correct playlist if you're making an MKV. Far as I can tell, neither of the other ripping tools has got this one fixed yet.
ScreenPass is such a thrill.

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts
Do ClownBD/Blu-Ray Ripper work, with AnyDVD HD in the background, if one selects the correct playlist?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Do ClownBD/Blu-Ray Ripper work, with AnyDVD HD in the background, if one selects the correct playlist?
Blu-Ray Ripper will always give the correct playlist when used with AnyDVD-HD. If AnyDVD-HD does not produce the correct playlist you just have to submit a log file to https://forum.redfox.bz/ and they will provide a fix in a few days.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the "To Be or Not to Be" Blu-ray disc from the Mel Brooks Collection Boxed set. Previously in this thread I mentioned how I could not rip it with MakeMKV and I also tried other ripping utilities and still was unsuccessful as it error out on the same spot on the disc. That troublesome part plays fine on my mom's Panasonic blu-ray player but that part skips on my 4k Panasonic Blu-ray player and also when trying to play it through PowerDVD on my PC. I was able to rip it fine on the day I purchased this boxed set but I deleted my rips and decided that I wanted to rip it again about 9 months later. Upon inspection of the disc underneath my bedroom light I noticed a few tiny dots which I can see the light penetrating through on the data side of the disc but I'm not sure if it could be just holes on the label. Is this disc rot? Can a Blu-ray disc go rotten in just 9 months after purchasing it brand new? I stored my discs in their cases when I'm not playing or ripping them. Was that disc most likely manufactured several years ago, being in circulation long before I purchased it?

·
Registered
22,167 Posts
I have the "To Be or Not to Be" Blu-ray disc from the Mel Brooks Collection Boxed set. Previously in this thread I mentioned how I could not rip it with MakeMKV and I also tried other ripping utilities and still was unsuccessful as it error out on the same spot on the disc. That troublesome part plays fine on my mom's Panasonic blu-ray player but that part skips on my 4k Panasonic Blu-ray player and also when trying to play it through PowerDVD on my PC. I was able to rip it fine on the day I purchased this boxed set but I deleted my rips and decided that I wanted to rip it again about 9 months later. Upon inspection of the disc underneath my bedroom light I noticed a few tiny dots which I can see the light penetrating through on the data side of the disc but I'm not sure if it could be just holes on the label. Is this disc rot? Can a Blu-ray disc go rotten in just 9 months after purchasing it brand new? I stored my discs in their cases when I'm not playing or ripping them. Was that disc most likely manufactured several years ago, being in circulation long before I purchased it?
Yes, you have a defective or damaged disc. How it got that way isn't really important, but yes they can get worse over time. That set is still available at retail.

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
429 Posts
It "borrows" from other's work and never gives credit for it.
From what I understand they all sort of borrow from each other when possible. He mentioned in passing something about helping AnyDVD with enabling support for the UHD "official" drives like the 16ns60 and the lg slim. Of course I might have imagined that part :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello. Please excuse me for making this very quick question: Being that MakeMKV seems to be a big favorite, does it makes exact 1:1 copy of BluRays/DVD? I don't mind how big the size, I just need a perfect accurate copy of the physical disc so there won't be any difference between the ripped version and the original disc. I'm planning to back up some concerts I have on DVD and BluRay and then stream them to my TV. Thank you very much!

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
429 Posts
Hello. Please excuse me for making this very quick question: Being that MakeMKV seems to be a big favorite, does it makes exact 1:1 copy of BluRays/DVD? I don't mind how big the size, I just need a perfect accurate copy of the physical disc so there won't be any difference between the ripped version and the original disc. I'm planning to back up some concerts I have on DVD and BluRay and then stream them to my TV. Thank you very much!
Yes sir, go to File > Backup, click the decrypt files checkbox once, it will stick, choose your target direction and hit OK. The output of this action is a BDMV folder containing the entire contents of the 4K UHD blu ray including menus (mkv format no menus) Dolby Atmos (mkv format has issues with Atmos in some situations?) and dual layer Dolby Vision HDR (mkv format you get one layer and I think that takes some work).

So there you have it, if you are down with the BDMV format this is for you!

I know VLC can play BDMV folders most of the time. I personally use Infuse Pro 6.0 on my Apple TV 4K to stream BDMV full rips from the shared drives on a Windows 10 Pro box to the ATV4K to my Sony A1E OLED TV, it's super easy and I never seem to find the time to learn about Plex servers and Nvidia shields. My Infuse setup I loose the bitstream audio bye bye atmos but the lossless 7.1 Dolby TruHD stays, hmm is it lossless in this case dunno. Pretty sure Dolby Vision is not being passed not sure who is at fault there Infuse or the ATV4K, it's not the Sony TV's fault I know that.

The ultimate, in my opinion, demo of what a BDMV folder is all about can be shown very easily. Procure an Oppo 203 or 205, they're dirt cheap on eBay and Amazon (if you're the owner of eBay or Amazon LOL), plug in an external hard drive into one of the USB ports on the back of the Oppo, navigate through the Oppo interface to the ****, fill in the blank named screen, is it network? Don't remember it's easy to find, choose movies, click on the icon that represents your hard drive voila, now click on a BDMV folder created by a full disc backup using MakeMKV and 4K UHD Blu Ray, the movie starts playing the trailers if present. Bring up the disc menu and do something with it, it'll work! Oh yeah bring up the disc menu and change the surround format fro ATMOS to something else and watch your AVR report the change = sick! Oh forgot, when the folder starts playing watch for what I call the double Dolby Vision shuffle. On the left side of your TV out pops the Dolby Vision logo then right after on the rigth side of your TV screen it's a bird, it's a plane holy smokes it's another Dolby Vision logo that looks almost like the first one LOL. This is the Oppo an the Sony doing their DV handshake. On this model Sony, which used to be their flagship TV and the first OLED they offered? Think so. They apparently forgot to add the chipset to support new features like Dolby Vision so as the story goes Sony because their Sony told Dolby to re engineer DV so the source device did the heavy lifting and get Sony off the hook which allowed them to say sure we support DV from the player.

That's all great and stuff but Dolby called up Oppo and said Hey Oppo what's happening? So listen you know this DV code we're testing on your player right now, well we kinda sorta need you to make a few changes, you know back to the drawing board type stuff, yeah like NOT minor changes uh huh yes, yes well yeah oh you got the spec then great, anyways we need you to add support for what we call "player led DV" and something else but mainly this player Led meaning your box does all the work and the Sony gets off Scott free and we blame the delay on the Oppo > Sony DV squarely on you guys. Yeah we're um sort of a covering up Sony's mistake and we need to play catch up yeah so we'll see you at the usual time. Oh and can you uh come in on a Sundayyyyyy too? Thanks Oppo!"

So back to drawing board for Oppo they're like WTF we gotta redo DV processing for one ****ing brand of TV. Oh yeah ok well yes they are the world leader and make the best TVs. Even God has one in fact, yeah the 77" A1E he's upgrading this year to an 114" A9H with the X1 Ultimate Extreme Fajita CPU, yeah he's a beta tester. Satan gets the LG and Trump gets the Samsung, burn!

Wow I need some sleep. Right so most of that is true Oppo got the shaft but eventually reworked their DV handling and it's sick because they're Oppo and they are the greatest. BDMV right, so not many devices out there support BDMV, look at the specs on most hardware media players you will be hard pressed to find BDMV. **** even Sony's fancy new 1100ES UHD player whoops, no BDMV file format support sorry suckers. The Panasonic 820 that's God's gift to 4k UHD enthusiasts, any BDMV support? NOT. Do any of the 820 fanboys know what BDMV is? lol. BDMV support costs money, Oppo paid it, so it's the best hidden feature on those players and for disc rippers, archivists excuse me, it's the best way ever to demo what it is we do I forgot to finish. Play a bdmv rip of Saving Private Ryan now put the SPR disc in the tray and cue that up. OK now stop playback of your rip, cool. Now hit play to start the disc: woah what's that say on the screen "do you want to resume where you left off?" WTF I just put the disc in! You did yes but the Oppo can't tell the difference between the disc and the rip, why? Two words: Bit Perfect.

I hope you've enjoy my reply which is about ten times longer than it should be. Feel free to PM me regarding the subject of this thread, that's all I can say :)

·
Wireless member
27,109 Posts
Short version ... what @alexcoluzzi32 said is true but it should be added that the MKV format is simply a container, and you can "repackage" the Blu-ray in MKV format and also have 1:1. MKV is more universally compatible than BDMV.

Jeff

Reactions: obonillaf

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes sir, go to File > Backup, click the decrypt files checkbox once, it will stick, choose your target direction and hit OK. The output of this action is a BDMV folder containing the entire contents of the 4K UHD blu ray including menus (mkv format no menus) Dolby Atmos (mkv format has issues with Atmos in some situations?) and dual layer Dolby Vision HDR (mkv format you get one layer and I think that takes some work).

So there you have it, if you are down with the BDMV format this is for you!

I know VLC can play BDMV folders most of the time. I personally use Infuse Pro 6.0 on my Apple TV 4K to stream BDMV full rips from the shared drives on a Windows 10 Pro box to the ATV4K to my Sony A1E OLED TV, it's super easy and I never seem to find the time to learn about Plex servers and Nvidia shields. My Infuse setup I loose the bitstream audio bye bye atmos but the lossless 7.1 Dolby TruHD stays, hmm is it lossless in this case dunno. Pretty sure Dolby Vision is not being passed not sure who is at fault there Infuse or the ATV4K, it's not the Sony TV's fault I know that.

The ultimate, in my opinion, demo of what a BDMV folder is all about can be shown very easily. Procure an Oppo 203 or 205, they're dirt cheap on eBay and Amazon (if you're the owner of eBay or Amazon LOL), plug in an external hard drive into one of the USB ports on the back of the Oppo, navigate through the Oppo interface to the ****, fill in the blank named screen, is it network? Don't remember it's easy to find, choose movies, click on the icon that represents your hard drive voila, now click on a BDMV folder created by a full disc backup using MakeMKV and 4K UHD Blu Ray, the movie starts playing the trailers if present. Bring up the disc menu and do something with it, it'll work! Oh yeah bring up the disc menu and change the surround format fro ATMOS to something else and watch your AVR report the change = sick! Oh forgot, when the folder starts playing watch for what I call the double Dolby Vision shuffle. On the left side of your TV out pops the Dolby Vision logo then right after on the rigth side of your TV screen it's a bird, it's a plane holy smokes it's another Dolby Vision logo that looks almost like the first one LOL. This is the Oppo an the Sony doing their DV handshake. On this model Sony, which used to be their flagship TV and the first OLED they offered? Think so. They apparently forgot to add the chipset to support new features like Dolby Vision so as the story goes Sony because their Sony told Dolby to re engineer DV so the source device did the heavy lifting and get Sony off the hook which allowed them to say sure we support DV from the player.

That's all great and stuff but Dolby called up Oppo and said Hey Oppo what's happening? So listen you know this DV code we're testing on your player right now, well we kinda sorta need you to make a few changes, you know back to the drawing board type stuff, yeah like NOT minor changes uh huh yes, yes well yeah oh you got the spec then great, anyways we need you to add support for what we call "player led DV" and something else but mainly this player Led meaning your box does all the work and the Sony gets off Scott free and we blame the delay on the Oppo > Sony DV squarely on you guys. Yeah we're um sort of a covering up Sony's mistake and we need to play catch up yeah so we'll see you at the usual time. Oh and can you uh come in on a Sundayyyyyy too? Thanks Oppo!"

So back to drawing board for Oppo they're like WTF we gotta redo DV processing for one ****ing brand of TV. Oh yeah ok well yes they are the world leader and make the best TVs. Even God has one in fact, yeah the 77" A1E he's upgrading this year to an 114" A9H with the X1 Ultimate Extreme Fajita CPU, yeah he's a beta tester. Satan gets the LG and Trump gets the Samsung, burn!

Wow I need some sleep. Right so most of that is true Oppo got the shaft but eventually reworked their DV handling and it's sick because they're Oppo and they are the greatest. BDMV right, so not many devices out there support BDMV, look at the specs on most hardware media players you will be hard pressed to find BDMV. **** even Sony's fancy new 1100ES UHD player whoops, no BDMV file format support sorry suckers. The Panasonic 820 that's God's gift to 4k UHD enthusiasts, any BDMV support? NOT. Do any of the 820 fanboys know what BDMV is? lol. BDMV support costs money, Oppo paid it, so it's the best hidden feature on those players and for disc rippers, archivists excuse me, it's the best way ever to demo what it is we do I forgot to finish. Play a bdmv rip of Saving Private Ryan now put the SPR disc in the tray and cue that up. OK now stop playback of your rip, cool. Now hit play to start the disc: woah what's that say on the screen "do you want to resume where you left off?" WTF I just put the disc in! You did yes but the Oppo can't tell the difference between the disc and the rip, why? Two words: Bit Perfect.

I hope you've enjoy my reply which is about ten times longer than it should be. Feel free to PM me regarding the subject of this thread, that's all I can say :)

You're much too kind. I can't express how much I appreciate your thoroughly answer and taking the time to help me with such a complete guide. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Short version ... what @alexcoluzzi32 said is true but it should be added that the MKV format is simply a container, and you can "repackage" the Blu-ray in MKV format and also have 1:1. MKV is more universally compatible than BDMV.

Jeff
Thank you for your advice! I think all my devices can read MKV files. I don't know how well those devices would handle big files though. I'll give a try. Best regards and thanks,

·
UHD Addict
37,075 Posts
I am.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Reactions: timmo
11601 - 11620 of 11637 Posts