Audio/Video Enthusiast
431 Posts
PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Converting ISO to MKV

Hi guys, I'm finally going to pull the trigger and ditch the Dune smart players in favor of Plex (via Roku players), and thus starting the conversion of all my ISO's to MKV. This decision, as you can imagine, did not come easily.

Now, I am concerned about forced subs. Never had to worry about that with the ISO's. I've attached pics of dvdfab and makemkv. Is there anything I need to do with these options? thanks, I know I'm late to the party and even a redirect to some research would help. thanks.

Do you think there are any other concerns re going from ISO to MKV? (and Dune -> Roku/Plex)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hi guys, I'm finally going to pull the trigger and ditch the Dune smart players in favor of Plex (via Roku players), and thus starting the conversion of all my ISO's to MKV. This decision, as you can imagine, did not come easily.

Now, I am concerned about forced subs. Never had to worry about that with the ISO's. I've attached pics of dvdfab and makemkv. Is there anything I need to do with these options? thanks, I know I'm late to the party and even a redirect to some research would help. thanks.

Do you think there are any other concerns re going from ISO to MKV? (and Dune -> Roku/Plex)
I reencode everything with handbrake. And if there are forced subtitles I burn them in to the image rather than having a separate subtitle file in the container.

·
Wireless member
27,111 Posts
.... if there are forced subtitles I burn them in to the image rather than having a separate subtitle file in the container.
I think his issue is the "if" part, not how to treat them.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I think his issue is the "if" part, not how to treat them.
If there are forced subs and you have that checked in makemkv it will then include them in the MKV. If they aren't forced then they won't be included. I ALWAYS check forced english subs.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Wireless member
27,111 Posts
If there are forced subs and you have that checked in makemkv it will then include them in the MKV. If they aren't forced then they won't be included. I ALWAYS check forced english subs.
I didn't know MakeMKV had the smarts to know if there are forced subs.

·
UHD Addict
37,317 Posts

I would think the main issue would be using the Rokus for primary players with Plex. SInce they don't handle the lossless codecs.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would think the main issue would be using the Rokus for primary players with Plex. SInce they don't handle the lossless codecs.
Is it possible that my TCl tv with Roku built in can transmit DTSMA/DTHD via ARC? I need to double check the other roku players.

Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Is it possible that my TCl tv with Roku built in can transmit DTSMA/DTHD via ARC? I need to double check the other roku players.

Unfortunately built in and standalone Rokus do not support lossless audio. You would also need a display and receiver with eARC to handle more than stereo lossless audio. Then lastly, even if you have an eARC display and AVR, I haven't seen any TV apps that will pass lossless codecs.

·
UHD Addict
37,317 Posts

The TCL only supports ARC. You would need eARC to handle the lossless codecs.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Never thought I would say this but I think I'm choosing to scrap the high-res audio in favor of convenience. That's what kids will do to you i guess. I'll still leave the high-res audio track on the file and I'll hold on to one of my dunes in case I end up putting in a theater later on lol.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Do you guys know how or what is downgrading the audio? Is there a Dolby digital track inside of dts-hd?
DTS core is what's playing. Plex may also be transcoding the audio but that's easy to look up.
Honestly depending on your equipment you probably can't even tell the difference between lossy and lossless audio. If everything is setup properly. I have 2 home theaters in my house and I can only tell the difference on the one in the large room with floor standing speakers.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
DTS core is what's playing. Plex may also be transcoding the audio but that's easy to look up.
Honestly depending on your equipment you probably can't even tell the difference between lossy and lossless audio. If everything is setup properly. I have 2 home theaters in my house and I can only tell the difference on the one in the large room with floor standing speakers.
I hear you. I can't tell you the last time I cranked up a movie. I even traded my floor speakers in for bookshelves.

There are a lot of variables. I believe the movie I tested last night only had a DTSMA track and Plex was indeed transcoding it. My receiver showed DD. I was wondering where that came from?

11621 - 11637 of 11637 Posts