AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide how to backup my hercules seasons properly. Each disc has 2 episodes at an hour and half long that each come out to 4 gigs per episode. To shrink to one dvd seems like way to much compression to use with mpeg 2 and I hate wasting/having twice as many dvds as the originals. Do any of you decide to encode to divx and put them onto dvds instead to keep better image quality? I'm most worried about longevity of using divx since who knows maybe a couple years down the road it might be harder and harder to be running a proper divx setup. Right now I'm about to compare encodes from the 50% mpeg 2 compression and the divx episodes at 2 gig a piece and see how much of a difference I can tell. Anyways, anyone have any thoughts about this or does anyone do something similar?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I use AutoGK to backup my DVD's >4.3GB. But I use Xvid, it is free and I have had better results than Divx, but I am sure there are plenty that would say the oposite.

AutoGK does it in one step, and I can't tell the difference. I keep the ac3 sound and encode at 100%, a 2 hours movie is about 2.5GB and takes ~2.5hours on my AMD XP2600. I use DVDshrink to rip the DVD keeping only the parts I want.(No subtitles or special feature) but alot of people use DVDycrypter.

Here is a great guide from start to finish.

http://len0xmirror1.serveftp.net/~le...al/AutoGK.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.