AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computer #1: PIII, 1GHZ, 2X Toshiba DVD-ROM.

Computer #2: AMD 950 MHZ, 16X DVD-ROM.

I'm using SmartRipper (Per DVD Ripping 101 Thread) to rip to my HD. On Computer 1, the displayed rip speed is usually 1.7 to 2.0.

Wanting to reduce the time it takes to rip, I bought a 16X DVD-Rom and set up an AMD machine (Computer #2) as a video server. I was bummed to discover that SmartRipper only rips at 2.2X speed on Computer #2.

Is this normal? Are others experiencing the same slow rip speeds? 45 minutes is a long time to rip a movie.

Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
several things can influence the speed. make sure your hard drives and dvd are in dma mode. how big are the hard drives? what speed? how much buffer? a large 7400 rpm drive with 8 meg buffer will be faster than a small 5400 rpm drive with 2 meg buffer. make sure to defrag the hard drives often, particularly if you are writing large files like 1 gig vobs. also, i heard that the mode that you rip in influences the speed. not sure which is faster or slower, but maybe try iso versus file versus ifo to see if there is a difference.

i use dvddecrypter in ifo mode on several computers. speed varies, but i typically get 4-6x, with ripping times in the 12-15 min time frame.

kevin

·
Registered
655 Posts
Diver,

You need to find the RPC1 firmware for your drive. Most drives are locked to rip at a certain maximum speed if RCE and/or DeCSS is detected.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
probably your hard drive.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Try DVDshrink.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
check to see whether DMA is enabled on our DVD drives.

And yes, try DVD Shrink. This little piece rocks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
My experience seems to match summit3907's - i use dvddecryptor on a couple of machines & average ~4-5x under win2k. One of 'em is populated with old 5400rpm/2Mb buffer Maxtors, and an archaic HP9900ci DVD drive; processor is a 366MHz celeron (OC'd to 550MHz - hardly a speed demon). But it takes less than 20min to rip an 8GB ISO image.

Newer machine runs at comparable speed - despite having a much faster processor, bigger/faster harddrives ([email protected]), and a slightly

better DVD drive.

Suspect it may have to do with use of SPTI mode in the newer revision of the tool; useta get only ~2x working thru ASPI 4.60

·
Registered
24 Posts
I get up to 6.7x on a samsung 12X drive. 1ghz athlon (slot A) with IBM 7200rpm drive.

I also use adaptec aspi, as I have a scsi card installed.

paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Like it was said above.... most drives have a limitation in them to rip at a max speed of 2x. If you can get hacked firmware installed on your DVD drive, assuming it's available for your model, that should speed things right up.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all...., I'll give the firmware update a try.

My HD's are 7200RPM, 200GB, 8 Meg Cache, plugged into a 133 MHz HDD controller card. All drives are using UDMA.

DVD Shrink, eh? Doesn't that strip out the bonus features on the disc, leaving only the movie?

·
Banned
539 Posts
My 16X LiteOn DVD is a good ripper. I didn't hack the firmware or anything special. For dual layer disks, it averages between about 5 and 8X ripping. For single layer disks it can really fly and sometimes rips at 16X toward the end of the rip. This is the drive Newegg sells for around $34.

I think your particular limit is totally within your DVD drive, not a DMA or hard drive problem.

I use DVD decrypter for ripping. Free and fast.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
no, u need to get a cracked firmware, most DVD Drives have a biult in limit in ripping speed to DVD movies, this has something to do with keeping the noise down during DVD movie playback.

http://www.firmware-flash.com/ try to find an updated firmware here, but it wont be easy, coz not all updates are intended for ripping speed increase. Most are just to make it region free which does not affect the ripping speed. Most DVD Drives rip at 2x and thats very normal

·
Registered
117 Posts
Whoa, some very odd replies....

Bottleneck is definatley NOT the hard drive. Even a 5400RPM HD can easily get around 30 Mb/sec. Your drive is almost certainly to blame.

Many DVD drives are limited to 2x ripping ON DUAL LAYER DISCS. My pioneer a04 comes to mind. Get a single layer DVD-5 and it will slowly speed up to around 7-8x rip speed by the end. Granted most discs are dual layer....

There are a few firmare upgrades that can solve this problem, but not many and sometimes you just have to live with it. If it is a huge problem, go buy a nice DVD-Rom that can rip dual layer discs at high speed.

As for DVD shrink, it re-compresses the MPEG video so a dual layer DVD-9 can fit on a single layer DVD-5. It can keep all menus and extras, but there is a noticeable loss in quality for movies that need a great deal of compression. Why it was mentioned, I dont know, it will not help you rip your DVD's faster. :)

But as for re-encoding it is very easy to use and very fast.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well DVD Shrink can also rip your DVD straight to your hard disk, with no compression at all if you like. Or compress straight from the DVD drive, no need to rip first.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Diver: you didn't say what your 16x DVD-ROM drive was. The 16x Toshibas are notorious for ripping at 2x. And almost all the DVD burners have a 2x limitation, Sony now provides a tool for the 510A that removes the limit for their drive I believe. Annoyingly the Sonys rip at 2x on non-CSS protected disks as well :(

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, up I go, into the attic....

I found the box (Hey, I might want to e-Bay this thing some day). BTC 16X DVD-ROM. Quick (Does the box really say "Quick"? Geezo, some people will believe anything....) Data Access....

Manufacturer: BTC

Data transfer rate: 21632 KB/s

Average access time: 105 ms

E-IDE/ATAPI interface

Supports Ultra DMA 33 mode

Buffer memory 512 KB

Made in China - Bought in America (I hope this country can change that bad habit, before China becomes an unstoppable global power.... )

Politics aside, those are the specs on my DVD-ROM. 2.2x ripping speed is all she can do Captain.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Most drives rip fine above 2x, and firmware locking is NOT the usual problem. You are probably running in PIO mode instead of DMA, especially if you are running Win XP. Go into device manager and find the properties for the primary and secondary IDE controllers. Go to the advanced tab and you should see something like "DMA if available". Now check the "Current transfer mode" and insure that you are running in one of the DMA modes. If you see "PIO mode" in that window, then that is the culprit. Win XP has a "feature" that automatically switches to PIO mode when you reach a certain error count during rips of CDs and DVDs, and the only way to reset back to DMA mode is to delete the controller from Windows, restart your system and let Windows find the controller as if it were a new device. Once you restart one more time, check the properties to make sure that you are now running in DMA mode and you should now be able to rip faster than 2 or 2.1X. Most drives are NOT firmware locked except for some of the Pioneer DVD writers (like the A05 and A06 I believe). Since I only run XP, I don't know how to solve this problem under other OS's....sorry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.