AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to rip all my SD dvds to HDD and eliminate themenus and FBI warnings but not do any compression of the video. Also I'm using the MyMovies add on to MediaCenter for my interface. I have found a lot of the movies say cannot complete due to sector read problem. Any ideas on other software or any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Try DVD Shrink.

Its not updated anymore but it still works for most of the DVDs.

Don't know of any other free software that is as versatile as DVD Shrink.

Check Doom for ripping guides and software links.

Also, you can use this free version of DVD Fab's Passkey in conjunction with DVD Shrink.

Another good site is Video Help ; tons of resources.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
for me, lately dvd shrink has been failing on more and more new releases. I need anydvd almost 75% of the time. it will fail on nearly 100% of disney dvds.

but anydvd and dvd shrink will do exactly what you want.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just did a huge stack of movies for my sister and most of them were disney disks. Mostly the 2-3 disk collections out of the vault stuff from 2 or so years back. Dvdfab worked with almost all of them except the 2nd disk from 101 dalmations. So works ok with most of the stuff pressed at least 2 or so years ago from them. And it did work on Mater's tales that just came out too. Just to help out for some info

·
Registered
292 Posts
AnyDVD and CloneDVD2......best combo

·
Registered
435 Posts
DVDFab to rip the DVD to the HDD, Handbrake to convert to .mkv

·
Registered
664 Posts
MakeMKV here as well. It will rip both BD and DVD, both without any extra software (no AnyDVD-HD needed). It's cheap; easy to use, and works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/19645064

makemkv.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin29311 /forum/post/19645356

DVDFab to rip the DVD to the HDD, Handbrake to convert to .mkv

Why would you purchase one software to rip it to hard drive and then use another to convert it to MKV?

Its 'either or'; doing both is redundant.

Either use DVDFab to rip as 'Folders' to the drive or use MakeMKV to rip directly to MKV format.

Since OP's using MM and MC for playback, simplest is to rip as Folders, no additional filters or codecs required for native playback.

And DVD Shrink is still one of the best (for most DVDs).

From what I've read, MKV is very simple too, however it requires additional filter/codecs for playback in MC.

Why make it more complicated than necessary?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I like using handbrake personally...I feel it's done the best job out of everything I've tried.

Problem is, Handbrake won't take straight from the DVD...need something else to do that. DVDFab Decrypter is free to use, so I basically just rip the DVD to my HDD, and then use Handbrake to do the encoding.

Yea, maybe it takes 10 min longer this way, but I feel that Handbrake does a lot better job of processing than anything else I've tried so far.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/19645064

makemkv.

Works for me, too. It's nice in that you can rip the entire disc and pick and choose from the resulting files - the largest is the actual movie; the others are special features and documentaries (sometimes worth seeing), previews, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottns /forum/post/19647348

I did DVDFab and then vob2mpeg. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing .mkv?

I haven't found any, though I've only ripped about 10 BD's and 5 or so DVD's. The video looks great and the audio is intact (in whatever format it was on the disc).

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If the OP is just looking for a simple, one click program to rip movies you can't do better than the free DvdFab. You can select the just the main movie. Also you can select DVD9 or DVD5, which basically means rip with no compression (DVD9) or to a custom size (DVD5). For space considerations I would consider using DVD5 on most movies, there is no reason Something about Mary can't be compressed, you'll never see the difference. There is also a setting to automatically generate a dvdid.xml which is what Media Center looks at for meta data. I'm using Media Center Master to download all me meta data though.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro /forum/post/19653448

If the OP is just looking for a simple, one click program to rip movies you can't do better than the free DvdFab.

I was about to post a new question (hoping the dumb questions department was open for business) asking about something similar and decided to search around a bit first. I think my situation is exactly what augerpro mentions above about the OP - I think I'd simply like to have some DVDs available on the hard drive of the HTPC I'm building, for convenience.

I ran across the DVDFab website's special pricing over Thanksgiving but decided not to pull the trigger. Tonight, I noticed that they have the same sale going on again. I don't mind paying for the DVDFab software, but will the freeware version do what I'm trying to do? Since I'm new to HTPC, HDTV, etc., I wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing what was meant by terms like ripping, copying, cloning, etc., as they are applied in these instances. (Also, is there a rule of thumb for HDD space needed per hour of SD DVD video?)

Thanks for any advice or clarification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While DVDs are high quality and can be rip to your PC, have disadvantages such as large files (4.9 GB per movie) and obscure file names. Riping a DVD to AVI or MPEG format, you get files small, portable, your own file naming. Additionally, files can be used for video editing.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel /forum/post/19662059

I don't mind paying for the DVDFab software, but will the freeware version do what I'm trying to do? Since I'm new to HTPC, HDTV, etc., I wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing what was meant by terms like ripping, copying, cloning, etc., as they are applied in these instances. (Also, is there a rule of thumb for HDD space needed per hour of SD DVD video?)

The free DVDFab will rip/copy anything except the absolute latest DVD encryption to hard drive in either Folder or ISO format. After about a month they'll update the free version with the previous months encryption. ie Right about now they'll add The Last Airbender to the free version, next month they'll add the new encryption found on Twilight Eclipse. With the paid for subscription you get the latest encryptions as soon as they have them available.

I've never found a rule of thumb that can be accurately applied to studio produced DVD's as far as how much space they'll need. The typical studio DVD has 8GB of space on it, some use all of that space, some don't. I've had DVD's with no extras and the movie was about an hour and a half take up almost the entire 8GB and I've had DVD's of the same length take up less than 4GB. I mentally allocate 8GB per DVD and then am happy if it takes up less space. On DVD's I've produced myself, ie TV shows I've taped then edited, the rule of thumb is about 1.2GB per 45 minutes with MPEG SP compression. I can cut that almost in half to ~626mb if I use MPEG LP compression but depending on what it is I'll see a certain amount of pixelation from compression degradation so I don't like to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewKrauss /forum/post/19662342

While DVDs are high quality and can be rip to your PC, have disadvantages such as large files (4.9 GB per movie) and obscure file names. Riping a DVD to AVI or MPEG format, you get files small, portable, your own file naming. Additionally, files can be used for video editing.

Yes, they are large files but DVDFab at least lets you change the folder or the ISO name if it's something obscure. Plus if you're using something like WMC it will pick up the correct movie name whatever the original filename is. Ripping to AVI or MPEG will give you a smaller file but you will also get degradation. Some movies it's not noticeable, things that are slow moving like typical dramas and comedies, but I have never not seen degradation in fast-moving action movies and most animated movies when I compressed them to smaller file sizes. And yes, AVI and MPEG files can be used for video editing but so can VOB files which is what you get in Folder rips. I do video editing as a hobby and I only use uncompressed VOB files whenever I can.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynde /forum/post/19663766

The free DVDFab will rip/copy anything except the absolute latest DVD encryption to hard drive in either Folder or ISO format.

Thanks so much for the info. Nothing I have is real recent, so I think I'm safe.

While I'm thinking about it, is there anything I'd need to do different to add some TV shows to my HTPC hard drive? For example, if season one of something has 13 episodes spread over 3 or 4 DVDs, does/can the software just rip them all into the same folder? Or do I need to do something special for either ripping or playback?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewKrauss /forum/post/19662342

have disadvantages such as large files (4.9 GB per movie) and obscure file names.

Absurd!

Do you have to look into and understand the software coding of a program to use it?

Why would you have to look into the files that are contained inside the DVD Folders to watch it?

The 'large file size' argument is hogwash in this day and age when 2TB drives are being sold for less than $80.

DVD Folders provide a much more friendly user experience in HTPCs and HTs than any other format.

It is natively supported in Media Center, doesn't require any additional codecs/filters for playback and has chapter & subtitle support including full menus (if available), not to mention full surround sound.

Watching on a tiny screen is well and good to pass time occasionally but if I'm watching something blow up, I want to feel it shake the room.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamy /forum/post/19639913

I am looking to rip all my SD dvds to HDD and eliminate themenus and FBI warnings but not do any compression of the video...

After trying a bunch of different options I am now settled on DVD Shrink. I am doing pretty much the same thing you want to do except I leave the menus. I am also using MCM and MB.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts