AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 7 LD's left in my collection that are not available on DVD (Star Wars Trilogy; New York, New York; etc). I'd like to 'retire' my DVL-91.

1) What capture methodology comes closest to preserving the picture and sound quality of the LD?

2) Does anybody have any success recording the digital soundtracks, or is the only real option to record the analog stereo outputs?

3) Does anyone do this commercially? IE, I send my LD's and get back a digitized version suitable for playing by TheaterTek or other s/w based player?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think LDs are analog signals (?) recorded digitally. I'm not too familar with it, but I'm pretty sure that LDs are, for all practical purposes, analog.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
He means recording the DTS or AC-3 stream from the audio digital outs. The video, yes, is very analog, as are a majority of the earlier LD audio tracks.

Mark, I will do some searches. I'd like to do that as well as soon as I get a DVD burner.

Ted_B

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
One easy way to capture an LD with good video and audio quality is to transfer the LD directly to D-VHS with a JVC 30k deck, or use a DVD recorder. You can capture the PCM soundtrack this way, but not the DTS or AC-3 tracks.

One of the big problems with the LD DTS soundtracks is they are recorded at a 44.1 kHz sample rate, which is not supported by the DVD-Video format. You would have to capture the DTS track to a PC, decode it into 6 PCM tracks, sample rate convert to 48 kHz, then re-encode.

To my knowledge there are no publicaly available DTS soundtracks, but you can re-encode to AC-3. The bottom line is it is probably more trouble to preserve the multichannel soundtracks than it is worth.

-Dylan

·
Registered
119 Posts
For what its worth, I've sent a DD5.1 stream to my Tascam DA40 Dat deck. At first the DAT couldn't lock onto the signal but after confusing the deck that I was sending a regular PCM stream (to which it locked) and changed to 5.1 on the fly, it continued to record the AC3 stream. The signal played back to my Denon 4800 receiver flawlessly.

As a test, I put in the 5.1 tape and hooked up the DAT deck to my HTPC and setup my Delta 410 to listen to the digital inputs and ouput digitally. Voila, the 5.1 stream played perfectly.

If I could simply record the digital signal to a file (not decoded), I would have essentially ripped a digitally encoded stream from an external source - which is what you are trying to do. All that would remain, should you be able to copy the digital signal would be to sync it to the video, which I suppose shouldn't be a big deal with the proper video editing software.

This post was not intended as a solution but maybe first steps towards one.

Leo

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all,

Within the thread that rgrossman referenced, there is another thread ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...0&pagenumber=1 ) that actually cracks the digital capture of the AC-3 tracks.

It appears that the best solutions are fairly labor intensive, but come very close to the original LD quality. These all involve capturing the AC3 track separately from the video and then using authoring software to produce DVD rready production.

For not much degradation, a DVD recorder capturing the analog audio appears to be a very reasonable alternative, using the highest definition recording to capture one LD side per DVD.

It sure would be simpler if the SW trilogy was to be released on DVD!

I'm going the DVD recorder route.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
BTW, if you don't want any quality loss due to video recompression, I suggest you capture it as uncompressed (if your hardware can do that) and convert it to Quicktime using the Animation codec set to "best quality" (this makes it lossless). Just my 2 cents if you want to preserve as much quality as possible.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've also given up even trying to capture the AC3 stream off my discs and suffice with the PCM. I still have 1700+ LD's which I once dreamed of converting but have just done a few.

-Trouble

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Good lord... I didn't know they'd even MADE 1700 LDs :). I've seen some pretty good rips (the Gonzo rips of the Star Wars trilogy come to mind) but I know I'd love to have them in DVDs for the most part. But hey, give it 20 years and all those DVDs will be optical drives run by DNA energy or something.

-MP

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.