AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 3189 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I must confess, after considerable reading, I am still confused.

As of this date, 12/11/2019, what 4K Friendly Drive should I buy (5.25" or SlimLine) for trouble free ripping of 4K Blurays?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I must confess, after considerable reading, I am still confused.

As of this date, 12/11/2019, what 4K Friendly Drive should I buy (5.25" or SlimLine) for trouble free ripping of 4K Blurays?

Thanks in advance.

I have the ASUS BW-16D1HT. It's a 5.25" internal drive that I have installed in my PC case, not in an external enclosure as others have done. The drive needs to be on firmware 3.10 for it to work. It's been pretty solid so far, but can struggle with discs that have even the slightest bit of dirt on them. A good cleaning of the disc with a microfiber cloth usually does the trick.

I purchased my drive from a seller on the MakeMKV forum. There is a lot of positive feedback from buyers in this thread and my purchase went smoothly:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have the ASUS BW-16D1HT. It's a 5.25" internal drive that I have installed in my PC case, not in an external enclosure as others have done. The drive needs to be on firmware 3.10 for it to work. It's been pretty solid so far, but can struggle with discs that have even the slightest bit of dirt on them. A good cleaning of the disc with a microfiber cloth usually does the trick.

I purchased my drive from a seller on the MakeMKV forum. There is a lot of positive feedback from buyers in this thread and my purchase went smoothly:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17829

Good luck!

Thank you very much for all the info!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You're welcome! I should have mentioned the reason I didn't purchase my drive from one of the usual retailers is because the drive now ships with a newer version of the firmware that has disabled the drive's ability to read 4K UHD discs. The firmware would need to be "downgraded" by flashing it with the older version. The seller on the MakeMKV forums takes care of flashing the firmware before he ships the drive to his buyers, saving us the hassle of doing it ourselves. I figured this was worth the small price premium he charges. He also sells enclosures if you don't want to mount the drive in your computer case.

·
Registered
570 Posts
What is the "new" process for doing this?

1. Buy a compatible drive from Amazon or your favorite retailer.
2. Download MK firmware pack from the link in this post: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113
3. Launch the patched Asus flasher, load the firmware matching your drive (Asus flasher works with LG or Asus drives)
4. Enjoy.

It's not like the bad old days when you needed a weird IDE port on your motherboard and 32 bit (not 64 bit) Windows 7. :eek: MakeMKV Mike is a hero.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Sorry, I'm just backing in to this topic so haven't had a chance to read the entire thread. Was there a specific post that I should read? Is it the one with the google docs link?
The instructions that @Taxcheat elucidated in his post are on page 9 of the Google Docs link that @giomania mentioned in the post quoted below on the current page of this thread...

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
The instructions that @Taxcheat elucidated in his post are on page 9 of the Google Docs link that @giomania mentioned in the post quoted below on the current page of this thread...

Thanks! Yeah, I see the doc and it looks great! However, it looks like at the very bottom it refers to a new option but the link takes you to a blank page (saying the requested topic does not exist), so not sure if I was missing something.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks @giomania, @Taxcheat and @SuperFist! I just ordered an Asus BW-16D1HT, and hope to be able to get it setup properly with the provided instructions when I receive it.
I just bought one and if on firmware 3.10 you have to download and flash to the 3.10 MK firmware first. Thereafter you can flash to another if you wish. Details on the mkv site.

·
UHD Addict
37,084 Posts
1. Buy a compatible drive from Amazon or your favorite retailer.
2. Download MK firmware pack from the link in this post: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113
3. Launch the patched Asus flasher, load the firmware matching your drive (Asus flasher works with LG or Asus drives)
4. Enjoy.

It's not like the bad old days when you needed a weird IDE port on your motherboard and 32 bit (not 64 bit) Windows 7. :eek: MakeMKV Mike is a hero.
Yes. Things are a heck of a lot easier now. Also With little risk of mucking up the drive.

I did my three Asus drives the old way. Awhile ago. But they are still performing great in external enclosures.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

2761 - 2780 of 3189 Posts