AVS Forum banner

3221 - 3240 of 3263 Posts

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Does anyone know of a device that can read full disc backups from a NAS and play back Dolby Vision? I’m using my Oppo 203 for this on one TV but in another room I would like a way to play these files back if such a device exists.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good... So people will no longer be encouraged to use the new 'open source' builds of TSmuxer GUI to generate single layer .ts contained muxes!
There is an awful of chatter about this on the MakeMKV forum but it is total gibberish to me. It seems to be people who cannot wait for official support to come to Plex/Kodi/Emby/etc. I, for one, am happy to wait and accept the fall back of standard HDR from my DV rips.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Does anyone know of a device that can read full disc backups from a NAS and play back Dolby Vision? I’m using my Oppo 203 for this on one TV but in another room I would like a way to play these files back if such a device exists.
Try this thread

Reactions: giomania

·
Registered
357 Posts
Reactions: giomania and lujan

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
435 Posts
That should be ClonerAlliance
ClonerAlliance, come on man :)

Anyways what I wanted to say is the drives do not get updated from the Internet by anything. The thing about having to reflash drives after awhile when they suddenly forget how to read 4K discs is really weird, but I believe it since it's worked for so many people. With my drives I'm now flashing them two or three times in a row lol.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Reports over at the MakeMKV forum is that it mostly works.
Mostly works is more like 25% of the time for me.

I have most recent beta version of Plex Server (Plex Pass required) and the second beta of the client app.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
So it's only the beta plex version that can play DV?
I tried several of my MakeMKV DV rips last night but didn't see any DV. But I don't load any of the betas to my two plex machines.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I tried several of my MakeMKV DV rips last night but didn't see any DV. But I don't load any of the betas to my two plex machines.
Is there a new/beta version of ExoPlayer? If so it should include a specially coded .mkv file parser/decoder filter that can detect Dolby Vision.

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
576 Posts
Correct. It's just beta for Plex at the moment, and my guess is it's going to take a lot of testing to work the bugs out. I had trouble in the super-early alpha versions with rips made from multiple m2ts files (e.g. Midway, Knives Out).

@SeeMoreDigital

Yes there's a new version of ExoPlayer. You can compile the official v2.12 code with the Android SDK and get mkv Dolby Vision playback by adding the player to Kodi, which is great if you hate Plex like I do. Here are the release notes mentioning it:
Exoplayer devs said:
Support for Dolby Vision in Matroska. This is a great example of an external contribution to the project from the wider community. Thanks to all those who contributed to the issue and pull request.
But if you don't know how to do that, just wait for other apps that use Exoplayer to incorporate the functionality. ExoPlayer is an API/library that other apps use, not a full standalone app. So, basically, hundreds of Android apps can flip a switch to allow mkv DV playback on Dolby licensed devices. Hang tight and that'll happen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
MediaInfo was just updated today with DV mkv detection.
I went and updated after I read your note. I can't seem to see any DV info in the Basic view, but I do see it when I go to Sheet view. Is there a way to modify what shows up in Basic view? Or just wait for a future update to add more info there?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
I went and updated after I read your note. I can't seem to see any DV info in the Basic view, but I do see it when I go to Sheet view. Is there a way to modify what shows up in Basic view? Or just wait for a future update to add more info there?
Tree view is better, IMO.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Correct. You need a beta server version, which is only available to Plex Pass members, and the beta Andriod client, which you have to sideload on to the Shield.

It's very imperfect at the moment so you aren't missing much.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts
OK. I'll just wait until things get ironed out.

Reactions: lujan

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK. I'll just wait until things get ironed out.
Good idea. I've done all the testing I can bothered doing so will just leave as is until things come out of the beta channel.

It was good to see proof of concept though on my system. I was concerned that my 2015 TV with its 30Hz limitation for DV might be a problem.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Well I guess Dolby Vision is finally happening in MKV. I just tested it with MakeMKV and the Plex Android TV beta on the Shield Pro, and it appears to work as advertised. The only problem I have is that MakeMKV doesn't apply forced flags to subtitles (PGS subtitles do work if I manually select them). Usually I would use MKVToolnix to fix this, but I don't think MKVToolnix supports Dolby Vision yet. TrueHD and DTS-MA appear to work. I don't have overhead speakers, so I can't test Atmos/DTS:X.

Unfortunately my trusty LG B6 doesn't support DV at 60 Hz over HDMI. This means I have to force the Shield UI to run at 23.976 Hz. Not ideal. The Shield also can't automatically switch from 60 Hz to 23.976 Hz and engage Dolby Vision like the Apple TV 4K can. Might have to upgrade the TV...

Edit: Spoke too soon. I used MKVToolnix to change the subtitle flags, and Dolby Vision was retained! So everything appears to be working perfectly (except for my TV limitations).

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Edit: Spoke too soon. I used MKVToolnix to change the subtitle flags, and Dolby Vision was retained! So everything appears to be working perfectly (except for my TV limitations).
Out of interest... What movie did you try?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Spider-Man: Homecoming
That particular movie was encoded with Dolby Vision at 23.976fps, so setting your Shield to 23.976Hz is the perfect thing to do...

3221 - 3240 of 3263 Posts