AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 3263 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
That particular movie was encoded with Dolby Vision at 23.976fps, so setting your Shield to 23.976Hz is the perfect thing to do...
Right. Virtually all UHD discs are. The problem is that the LG B6 cannot handle Dolby Vision at 60 Hz over HDMI. So, the Shield will not let you enable Dolby Vision support unless you set the entire UI to 23.976 Hz. This means the UI won't be very smooth.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I did find somewhat of a work-around for the LG B6 limitations. You can set the Nvidia Shield interface to 1080p & 60 Hz while retaining Dolby Vision support. You then can enable resolution switching in Plex. Plex then will switch to 4K (including 4K @ 23.976 Hz with Dolby Vision) when needed. The downside is that you lose AI upscaling and can't watch 4K in apps that don't switch resolution (i.e., all of the streaming apps).

Also, the Dolby Vision support in the Plex app is still a little buggy. Occasional it will not trigger properly. Hopefully the bugs will get ironed out.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I hope you don't like Game of Thrones, because the eight-season 4k boxset is going to gobble a few TB.:eek::eek:
I was thinking the same thing, "what am I going to do about space when I get this one"? Unless a streaming service finally has this one in 4k, I have to rip it as a backup. I already have seasons 1 and 8 backed up but will need to do seasons 2 through 7.
I was getting a little worried about having enough space on my drives to rip "Games of Thrones" 4k seasons 1 - 8. Not anymore because I bought this on sale for Prime members:

It's still on sale today so any of you needing more space may want to consider. I don't think it's been less in price than currently?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Correct. You need a beta server version, which is only available to Plex Pass members, and the beta Andriod client, which you have to sideload on to the Shield.

It's very imperfect at the moment so you aren't missing much.
I just installed Plex Android client beta on my Shield 2019. Did not install PMS beta. DV on titles ripped with MakeMkv 1.15.2 and 1.15.3 are working. DV titles ripped with 1.15.1 defaulted to HDR. I left Skyscraper 4K DV playing in the background. Noticed that color seemed to be off in dark scenes towards the end - it looked too red.

Edit: devices in the chain are LG C9 - Denon 3700H - Shield Pro 2019

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Hi @hoyalawya ,

If you're able, can you run one (or more) your working .mkv contained files through an application called MediaInfo (set to text mode) and post what it reports 'in full' as a text file.

Many thanks

·
Registered
882 Posts
One note: Restart the Plex Android Beta app (kill the process & re-launch) if it stutters & transcodes when playing DV MakeMkv file. The app seems to be caching playback settings of files played while the app is alive (this is my guess).

·
Registered
882 Posts
I was getting a little worried about having enough space on my drives to rip "Games of Thrones" 4k seasons 1 - 8. Not anymore because I bought this on sale for Prime members:

It's still on sale today so any of you needing more space may want to consider. I don't think it's been less in price than currently?
I estimate that the entire GoT series rip will be between 1.8 TB and 2.5 TB. Westworld season 2 4K I ripped is about 25 GB per episode. GoT has 73 episodes. 73 * 25 = 1,825.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I estimate that the entire GoT series rip will be between 1.8 TB and 2.5 TB. Westworld season 2 4K I ripped is about 25 GB per episode. GoT has 73 episodes. 73 * 25 = 1,825.
Great, I should be left with quite a bit more space for future rips. I will also have to rip Westworld season 3 4k which is coming out a couple of weeks after GoT.

·
UHD Addict
37,422 Posts

Yes. I saw that price for the 12TB WD Elements drive yesterday. But I ended up getting the 12TB WD Easystore from BestBuy for the same price.

But I won't be opening it until later. I am hoping the 14TB version goes on sale next month for $200. If so then I will return the 12TB Easystore. I got one last year for $180.

So I've been hoping that the 14TB ones go on sale for near that good price as well. Plus I want to remove am 8TB elements drive from my UHD Plex machine. And a 14TB Easystore would give me an additional 6TB of storage. And then I can move that 8TB elements drive over to my HD plex machine.

RIght now I have 26TB of storage with my UHD Plex machine. Since I also have a 6TB Ironwolf internal drive that I got for under $100 on Amazon day in 2018. But I haven't seen any deals like that in the last couple of years for the internal drives.

Reactions: lujan

·
Registered
357 Posts
DV titles ripped with 1.15.1 defaulted to HDR.
You can open these files with MakeMKV 1.15.3 and reprocess them (recreate the MKV) and it will fix the DV metadata. This will be much faster than reripping from the original disc.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You can open these files with MakeMKV 1.15.3 and reprocess them (recreate the MKV) and it will fix the DV metadata. This will be much faster than reripping from the original disc.
Can you reprocess files going back to last year or only those made with 1.15.1 or later?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have found that it takes longer from my laptop connected wirelessly to the NAS. Have not tried the hardwired PC yet.

Edit: it took longer for MakeMkv 1.15.3 to redo DV in MKV file made with 1.15.1 than just to re-rip the disc in 1.15.3.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can you reprocess files going back to last year or only those made with 1.15.1 or later?
Only those originally ripped with 1.15.1.

Earlier versions did not even attempt to store any DV metadata.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Only those originally ripped with 1.15.1.

Earlier versions did not even attempt to store any DV metadata.
Ok, this means I will have to reprocess almost all of my rips that have DV. I don't think I've done many rips in the last couple of months except maybe "Gemini Man" and "Pitch Black"?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts

So I've been hoping that the 14TB ones go on sale for near that good price as well. Plus I want to remove am 8TB elements drive from my UHD Plex machine. And a 14TB Easystore would give me an additional 6TB of storage. And then I can move that 8TB elements drive over to my HD plex machine.

RIght now I have 26TB of storage with my UHD Plex machine. Since I also have a 6TB Ironwolf internal drive that I got for under $100 on Amazon day in 2018. But I haven't seen any deals like that in the last couple of years for the internal drives.
The 2 TB of space will make a big difference for you since, I believe, you rip your whole collection. I only rip those discs that don't have a streaming copy included or those that may not be the same via streaming, like "Gemini Man" which is 60 fps on disc but not via streaming. The 12 TB drive should be good for me for quite a long time.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Well .. nothing is the same via streaming providers. No lossless sound and bit rate is lower. Netflix 4K is about 15 Mbps while Disney + is about 18 Mbps. 4K remuxes from disc in my collection range from 40 Mbps (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) to 87.5 Mbps (Hell or High Water).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
With regard to MakeMkv v1.15.3... I have just used it to back-up the Dolby Vision 4K UHD disc version of 'Black Panther' to an .mkv file. And I can confirm the following: -

• My OPPO can play the .mkv file. Both the OPPO and my LG television detects the images as HDR(10) - Which is as expected as the OPPO does not have the required new MKV file parser.
  • The 'Photo & Video' player app in my 2016 LG television is unable to play the .mkv file at all. The app reports 'UNABLE TO PLAY: This file cannot be recognised'.
Previous versions of MakeMKV would allow Dolby Vision 4K UHD disc back-ups to be played in HDR(10) using my TV's 'Photo & Video' player app...

This begs the question... Are people with newer LG televisions able to play Dolby Vision 4K UHD disc .mkv contained back-ups, created using MakeMkv v1.15.3?

Cheers

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Well .. nothing is the same via streaming providers. No lossless sound and bit rate is lower. Netflix 4K is about 15 Mbps while Disney + is about 18 Mbps. 4K remuxes from disc in my collection range from 40 Mbps (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) to 87.5 Mbps (Hell or High Water).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I realize this but I would never have enough space for every disc.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
This begs the question... Are people with newer LG televisions able to play Dolby Vision 4K UHD disc .mkv contained back-ups, created using MakeMkv v1.15.3?

Cheers
EDIT: I re-processed the .mkv file using 1.15.3 to make sure it was getting the DV metadata. I played it on my 2019 LG TV and it only played in HDR10 and not DV but at least it played.

3241 - 3260 of 3263 Posts