AVS Forum banner

3261 - 3263 of 3263 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
EDIT: I re-processed the .mkv file using 1.15.3 to make sure it was getting the DV metadata. I played it on my 2019 LG TV and it only played in HDR10 and not DV but at least it played.
That's probably because the internal LG app has not been updated to recognise DV inside an MKV.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
With regard to MakeMkv v1.15.3... I have just used it to back-up the Dolby Vision 4K UHD disc version of 'Black Panther' to an .mkv file. And I can confirm the following: -

• My OPPO can play the .mkv file. Both the OPPO and my LG television detects the images as HDR(10) - Which is as expected as the OPPO does not have the required new MKV file parser.
  • The 'Photo & Video' player app in my 2016 LG television is unable to play the .mkv file at all. The app reports 'UNABLE TO PLAY: This file cannot be recognised'.
Previous versions of MakeMKV would allow Dolby Vision 4K UHD disc back-ups to be played in HDR(10) using my TV's 'Photo & Video' player app...

This begs the question... Are people with newer LG televisions able to play Dolby Vision 4K UHD disc .mkv contained back-ups, created using MakeMkv v1.15.3?

Cheers
EDIT: I re-processed the .mkv file using 1.15.3 to make sure it was getting the DV metadata. I played it on my 2019 LG TV and it only played in HDR10 and not DV but at least it played.
Thanks for the confirmation. This would suggest that the 2019 LG televisions have improved .mkv file compatibility over the 2016 models (which is good to know).

On a side note (which is not to be encouraged). I ran the afore-mentioned Dolby Vision .mkv file back-up (created using MakeMKV v1.15.3) through TSmuxer GUI git-c139668 and created an .ts contained file. Which I can confirm played perfectly on my humble 2016 LG television in Dolby Vision.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
That's probably because the internal LG app has not been updated to recognise DV inside an MKV.
Yes... We know this... We're experimenting ;)

3261 - 3263 of 3263 Posts