AVS Forum banner

3381 - 3400 of 3475 Posts

·
Registered
20,607 Posts
Seriously? For new friends in Korea? I don't want to send them wine, too heavy, maybe coffee beans? no they like tea. Johnny Walker blu label? Wait I can't afford that lol.
THC infused gummy bears OG Kush flavor. Dudes might go into a coma.
Depending on local laws they may also go to jail.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Well this just gets better and better. According to a friend not in the habit of making stuff up, he had this happen to him as well and got ahold of someone somewhere who knew something and learned that the laser in the BU40N can move vertically while it's focusing, ok. What's more is this vertical movement allowed while focusing is not restricted so in theory yes the laser and whatever it's housed in is most likely the culprit here. OK you've got disc spinning very fast, then perfectly circular scratches like something popped up and did a little carving on the data side of the disc.
But again the chances of this happening are very rare...ok. Well it ain't that rare if it happened to me, him, and someone I turned on to the slim drive, who just happened to text me not two hours after I was examining my disc. "Hey Alex, why's my slim drive damaging my discs?" Um, hmm, no hablo Inges??

To answer your questions yes the disc in question is one of my pristine test discs, not a scratch on it, well now there is, wasn't before. Shout Factory's "Turtle Odyssey" (Bunji's Big Adventure) I loved this one. I love all the stuff Shout Factory does all the nature stuff and animal stuff.

But back to this cluster you know what. I just can't believe that LG would release a product with this little chestnut just waiting to happen. My friend has no reason to make stuff up. I would figure someone else would have seen by now there's gotta be a couple or three thousand of them in use I can vouch for 500 of them no sweat. Oh well I'm going to stop tripping and Monday get on hold with Life's Good and beg them to escalate me to anyone who knows anything about optical drives and I'll see what I can find out. Never a dull moment when 4K disc ripping is involved lol.
I got one that was sourced from you direct with the case you put on last year I believe however it doesn't scratch anything when I looked on the disc it failed to rip using MKV's latest FW. The title in question was FOTR disc one of the extended edition. I was next to it and I could tell there something wrong as the spin slowed down big time and started to make the spin up slow down sound and the log data on the MKV window started to show errors after errors, eventually stopping and saying 0 title saved. Then I popped in the theatrical versions and all 3 films ripped fine, so nether the drive nor the software was broken but rather that one disc so far it seems, however as I just examined the disc again there is in not hint of any kind of damage on it.

Edit: just tried that disc again and it ripps now with no issues.... 😮

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
464 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't worry about this ever happening with you unit or anyone elses.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
For anyone who is interested...

I've just noticed that some Archgon UHD 'friendly' drives have appeared on Amazon UK. There's some info about them dating back to March 2019 over on the MakeMKV forum, which confirms that they are fitted with an LG BU40N drive unit.

Cheers

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
464 Posts
Good stuff, long as they have Ultra HD Blu Ray logo on the faceplate that’s the drive you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Very interesting thread, I'd love to digitise all my blu-ray collection of both 2K and 4K content.

Is it possible to make 1:1 copies (same as original)?

I suppose non-lossy compression could be allowed to keep file sizes sensible.

I presume the MKV container supports and maintains HDR information?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Very interesting thread, I'd love to digitise all my blu-ray collection of both 2K and 4K content.

Is it possible to make 1:1 copies (same as original)?

I suppose non-lossy compression could be allowed to keep file sizes sensible.

I presume the MKV container supports and maintains HDR information?
MakeMKV does a one-to-one bit rip. So there's no additional compression compared to what's on the Blu-ray disc.

I know HDR10 is preserved. I'll let others chime in about Dolby vision since I cannot play Dolby vision on my equipment.

-T

·
Registered
461 Posts
MakeMKV does a one-to-one bit rip. So there's no additional compression compared to what's on the Blu-ray disc.

I know HDR10 is preserved. I'll let others chime in about Dolby vision since I cannot play Dolby vision on my equipment.

-T
MakeMKV retains everything including Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10, subtitles, embedded cover art and whatever audio and subtitles you choose to select.

Where there are multiple language options you can keep the file size down by deselecting the foreign languages that you do not need although the bulk of the size is down to the video stream.

Reactions: aaronwt and T-Bone

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
MakeMKV retains everything including Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10, subtitles, embedded cover art and whatever audio and subtitles you choose to select.

Where there are multiple language options you can keep the file size down by deselecting the foreign languages that you do not need although the bulk of the size is down to the video stream.
Thank you for the useful information.

Is it possible to opt for NON-LOSSY compression under the H265 (HEVC) codec?

What app do you use to organise and play back your 1:1 copies?

Like you, I use the NVIDIA Shield TV console and KODI.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Is it possible to opt for NON-LOSSY compression under the H265 (HEVC) codec?
Ove on the MakeMKV forum, I have seen methods for achieving lossless compression of the video stream but it seem very involved with the use of various tools and command line parameters. Frankly, I can't be bothered. Storage is pretty cheap these days and my time is worth more.

What app do you use to organise and play back your 1:1 copies?
Plex on the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ove on the MakeMKV forum, I have seen methods for achieving lossless compression of the video stream but it seem very involved with the use of various tools and command line parameters. Frankly, I can't be bothered. Storage is pretty cheap these days and my time is worth more.
I thought MakeMKV does it in one swipe but if it doesn't then I agree, it's not worth the extra effort.

Plex on the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019.
In that case, I presume PLEX can handle 4K/60 4:4:4 and HDR. Is there a monthly charge to it or is it free?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I thought MakeMKV does it in one swipe but if it doesn't then I agree, it's not worth the extra effort.
Everything but lossless compression.

In that case, I presume PLEX can handle 4K/60 4:4:4 and HDR.
Correct. DV playback on the Shield is still a bit spotty but that appears to be down the Nvidia DV decoder rather than Plex.

Is there a monthly charge to it or is it free?
There is a monthly charge (Plex Pass) but only if you want to as there is a free version too. 4K/HDR/DV is part of the free version.

I opted for a lifetime Plex Pass when they had a sale on about 6 months ago.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Everything but lossless compression.

Correct. DV playback on the Shield is still a bit spotty but that appears to be down the Nvidia DV decoder rather than Plex.

There is a monthly charge (Plex Pass) but only if you want to as there is a free version too. 4K/HDR/DV is part of the free version.

I opted for a lifetime Plex Pass when they had a sale on about 6 months ago.
That makes a lot of sense.

What device are you using to run PLEX and are all your movies on a NAS Drive via a wired gigabit switch / network?

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Hello,

I did this years ago (Digitzed my DVDs and Blu Rays) and later went back to using discs directly instead.

More recently, since I still have the 50TB of storage sitting here, I decided to try to back up my 4K discs. However, With a few movies I saw a glitch. I rewind and it's repeatable. A few seconds of garbled video. I've seen this in two out of 150 but I haven't watched all of them.

I've been a paid user of MakeMKV for many years and generally have had some discs just back up with no fuss and others back up reporting AV Sync errors and still others that are new and won't read. I expect MakeMKV to fail before making a less than perfect backup and that's clearly not the case.

I've really come to think the disc itself is better storage than making files of it and trying to ensure and verify that they came out perfect and then maintain them. Or maybe it's just simpler for me to keep my discs clean than to load my movies onto NAS units.

I've retired my media NAS units again .... at least for the moment.

-Brian

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Hello,

I did this years ago (Digitzed my DVDs and Blu Rays) and later went back to using discs directly instead.

More recently, since I still have the 50TB of storage sitting here, I decided to try to back up my 4K discs. However, With a few movies I saw a glitch. I rewind and it's repeatable. A few seconds of garbled video. I've seen this in two out of 150 but I haven't watched all of them.

I've been a paid user of MakeMKV for many years and generally have had some discs just back up with no fuss and others back up reporting AV Sync errors and still others that are new and won't read. I expect MakeMKV to fail before making a less than perfect backup and that's clearly not the case.

I've really come to think the disc itself is better storage than making files of it and trying to ensure and verify that they came out perfect and then maintain them. Or maybe it's just simpler for me to keep my discs clean than to load my movies onto NAS units.

-Brian
Oh wow, that's unfortunate. I used to experience full backup glitches only with DVDFab, which is why I bought an AnyDVD HD lifetime license (twice). But later I also incorporated MakeMKV into my repertoire because you can never have too many awesome ripping programs.

Have you reported these anomalies on the official MakeMKV forums? It could be something that could benefit the community as a whole if it gets resolved.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Hello,

-Brian
The single biggest advantage to ripping is the metadata that shows movie art, descriptions, etc. And it's filterable by genre, etc.

I recall the days of the family looking/reading disc covers to see what a movie is about... Horrible process. But that's just me.

I own the original discs, so if a rip has an issue it's no big deal. I will re-rip at my leisure. Takes 3 minutes to start MakeMKV, and return 30 minutes later when it's done.

Discs are great for watching bonus material. I've long since stopped watching that material... main movie is all I want for my use case.

But I hear ya on glitches... ruins the viewing experience. I see them on 3 BD rips of my 250+ collection when jumping ahead 30 seconds. Saw it a lot with JRiver media center version 23. But same movie won't do it on Plex.

-T

3381 - 3400 of 3475 Posts