AVS Forum banner

3401 - 3420 of 3475 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Very interesting thread, I'd love to digitise all my blu-ray collection of both 2K and 4K content.

Is it possible to make 1:1 copies (same as original)?

I suppose non-lossy compression could be allowed to keep file sizes sensible.

I presume the MKV container supports and maintains HDR information?
Rather than do an MKV you can use the MakeMKV software to do a full backup of BD/UHD. This maintains all info and takes handling of forced subtitles out of the equation, assuming you have a player that can handle full BDMV rips. After you have done your first 50TB and backed it up as a mirror no need to stress anymore about space :)

Remarkable to think that only 20 years ago my entire PC had 5Gb capacity, now I just rip away regardless :ROFLMAO:

·
UHD Addict
37,999 Posts
I thought MakeMKV does it in one swipe but if it doesn't then I agree, it's not worth the extra effort.

In that case, I presume PLEX can handle 4K/60 4:4:4 and HDR. Is there a monthly charge to it or is it free?
2160P60 at 444 would require HDMi 2.1. It exceeds the 18Gbps max bandwidth of HDMi 2.0. And the SHield Tv has an HDMi 2.0 port.

2160P60 at 444 can be done at 8 bit. But then you would not get the benefit of an extended color space. Only 2160P60 with 422 at 12 bit or 420 at 10 or 12 bit can be used with HDMi 2.0 with an extended colorspace. That is all the HDMi 2.0 spec allows.

Reactions: Sam Ash

·
Registered
461 Posts
What device are you using to run PLEX and are all your movies on a NAS Drive via a wired gigabit switch / network?
A Synology DS1019+ NAS (I used to use a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+). Yes, wired gigabit.

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
client or server?
This is a big question, and could be the root of your problem.

I had the Plex Server running on my NAS, and the Client on my Shield, and it was slooooow.

I added a HTPC to the mix: mapped the NAS drives to the HTPC, run Plex Server on the HTPC, kept the Client running on the Shield and it's LIGHTNING fast. I mean "I can have 2 Shields streaming different things, and a buddy streaming across FiOS to his Plex client, and it doesn't even slow down" Fast.

Short version: NAS just don't have the horsepower to act as a Plex server.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Remember that with Plex, if you're streaming to an Nvidia Shield or an Oppo 203/205, transcoding of Audio or Video is "not" needed. So this will alleviate your Plex Server from any extra processing.

I just recently set up a 2019 Shield Pro, and set up my 2015 Shield as a "headless" Plex Media Server. My media is stored on a NAS which can also run Plex Media Server as well, but the Shield's Plex server receives updates more often than on my Freenas Server. So far, this has been a great configuration for streaming local content to both my Shield Pro and Oppo 203.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
306 Posts
quick question. does Pex/emby need to be on the NAS to work? or does the sheild just pull the files from the NAS as needed with the app on the sheild.

trying to wrap my head around this

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't have any experience with Emby, but for Plex, your content does not necessarily need to be stored on a NAS. However, a Plex Server is required. You can have your content stored on external hard drives connected directly to the Shield, but be sure that the Plex Media Server is pointing to these drives in order for the Clients to stream content from them.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I don't use Plex because I can never seem to get it to figure out that I NEVER want it to transcode anything for any reason.
Plex will only transcode if the client device cannot accept the audio and/or video as is.

A lot of my Blu-ray rips transcode the video, but it's the simple transcode that Plex does. It just does a copy of I believe from one container to the next. Very low overhead.

If it has to transcode lossless audio to AAC, or something else,, again that is low overhead.

To solve your problem, you just need a a television and audio system that accepts all of the audio and video in your content :). Probably cheaper just to let Plex transcode :)

-T

Edit. After rereading your post, you may have been just joking around

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
2160P60 at 444 would require HDMi 2.1. It exceeds the 18Gbps max bandwidth of HDMi 2.0. And the SHield Tv has an HDMi 2.0 port.

2160P60 at 444 can be done at 8 bit. But then you would not get the benefit of an extended color space. Only 2160P60 with 422 at 12 bit or 420 at 10 or 12 bit can be used with HDMi 2.0 with an extended colorspace. That is all the HDMi 2.0 spec allows.
Thanks Aaron, useful info.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Plex will only transcode if the client device cannot accept the audio and/or video as is.

A lot of my Blu-ray rips transcode the video, but it's the simple transcode that Plex does. It just does a copy of I believe from one container to the next. Very low overhead.

If it has to transcode lossless audio to AAC, or something else,, again that is low overhead.

To solve your problem, you just need a a television and audio system that accepts all of the audio and video in your content :). Probably cheaper just to let Plex transcode :)

-T

Edit. After rereading your post, you may have been just joking around
That hasn’t been my experience. Plex never works for me because it seems to want to transcode everything even when I tell it not to.

I gave up a long time ago a d will never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
That hasn’t been my experience. Plex never works for me because it seems to want to transcode everything even when I tell it not to.

That sounds like whatever client device you were using was not compatible with the media that you were trying to stream, hence the transcoding.

Certain types of subtitles can also force transcoding.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Hmmm...

What's the make and model numbers of your gear. And what's their connection chain?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plex is built to transcode so the content will play properly on many different types of displays and audio systems . But if you don't have a server that's up to the task of transcoding, then Plex is not for everyone in that case.

-T

·
Registered
461 Posts
IMO, this is your problem. I haven't heard many instances where the NAS was up to the processing requirements to be the server.
What are you talking about?

I don't have a single problem with my set up!

3401 - 3420 of 3475 Posts