AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 3475 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I’ve tried using my NAS as the server with a ds1511+ and then with a ds1815+ and it wasn’t optimal either time. I finally settled on a NUC and it’s been great. The NUC also serves as the hub for eleven i.p. cameras and handles all of it quite nicely.

On another note, I’m coming up on ten years that the ds1511 has been running 24/7 and it’s still going strong! I’ve utilize it as a full backup for the ds1815 since it came online.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm surprised that the 1815+ caused you any issues as a Plex server.

Most perceived server issues are to do with transcoding which is best avoided.

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
464 Posts
Hey real quick, who here is still using the MakeMKV BETA Key that expires periodically as opposed to buying a permanent key that never expires and can be used on as many computers as you own?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey real quick, who here is still using the BETA Key that has to be changed out monthly as opposed to buying a legit key that never expires and can be used on as many computers as you own?
It is not monthly, it is every other month, please get your facts right.

Yes I use the beta since I do not rip enough discs to justify buying the full key. Also at £53 for a UK subscriber I think it is overpriced, half that amount and I would probably subscribe. Nothing illegit about the beta key and if Mike thought so he would not make it available.

·
Registered
461 Posts
And why are you selling keys? Why wouldn't someone just purchase a key direct from MakeMKV?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Yes, If you continue to use this amazing software after the first beta key session, you should purchase it outright... It is a bargain for all the work and updates to functionality that Mike provides!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Reactions: SeeMoreDigital

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Well I learned something new today. I did not know this was a lifetime purchase. Around the time UHD discs were possible to be ripped, I purchased both MakeMKV and DeUHD. DeUHD long expired as MakeMKV became easier for me to rip discs, but I did not know I purchased the Lifetime Key.

·
Registered
596 Posts
And why are you selling keys? Why wouldn't someone just purchase a key direct from MakeMKV?
@alexcoluzzi32 is really active over at the makemkv forum. If I remember correctly, he bought a pile of keys at a discount and can offer them at a lower rate because of this.

There are a lot of people who won't buy something at full price but would pick it up if there is a sale. He's offering a temporary sales price to bring in the consumers that would not have bought it originally.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
@alexcoluzzi32 is really active over at the makemkv forum. If I remember correctly, he bought a pile of keys at a discount and can offer them at a lower rate because of this.

There are a lot of people who won't buy something at full price but would pick it up if there is a sale. He's offering a temporary sales price to bring in the consumers that would not have bought it originally.
And he’s a good guy that has helped a bunch of people. He’s not trying to scam anyone.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
IMO, this is your problem. I haven't heard many instances where the NAS was up to the processing requirements to be the server.
My Synology transcodes via Plex perfectly. You just need the 64 bit version installed and a Plex Pass to turn on hardware enabled transcoding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
My Synology transcodes via Plex perfectly. You just need the 64 bit version installed and a Plex Pass to turn on hardware enabled transcoding.
Out of interest... What media formats is Plex transcoding and why?

What make and model of media player or TV do you have?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good point. I don't know why you would want to be transcoding.

If you need different resolution rips for different playback devices, create them, don't transcode.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
When I'm on the road and say my son wants to watch movies on his iPad and I have him connected via my phone's hotspot, it transcodes to a lower resolution. I have a ton of 4K HEVC MKV rips and it handles transcoding them to 720P without a hiccup. For local playback I just use Kodi on the numerous Shields I have installed around the house connected to my gigabit wired network so no transcoding is needed.

3421 - 3440 of 3475 Posts