AVS Forum banner

3701 - 3720 of 3743 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes with both of them.

One was a internal and one was USB. There's an external slim USB drive recommended by TreyPoint online in his YouTube videos and that seems like the best one I've used so far. BU40N I think it is but you can get it already in a slim case

It feels a little flimsy but works good.

I also have an old LG USB drive that also works with the mac. It's an older drive so it doesn't do UHD at all but does BluRay good.
Brian,

I have a BU60N drive that already has the flashed fw on it and I have been using it internally inside a pc for awhile now with no issues.

I recently got an M1 Mac Mini and am curious if you know if that I get an external enclosure for the uhd bluray drive, will it work to rip discs using dvdfab or makemkv on the new M1 Mac Mini when connected via usb?

·
UHD Addict
38,243 Posts
MakeMKV to hard drive then copy to NAS
or
MakeMKV to NAS directly

I've been having sucess backing up media so far with the second option but I want to know best practices are

Edit per a little reading elsewhere seems directly to NAS is best.
I always go to a local drive first. And then when I transfer to the NAS, I am copying multiple titles to be stored there.

Sent from my Galaxy S21

·
Registered
515 Posts
I rip straight to my NAS but not to the folder where the films are stored because Plex always screws up when you rip directly to the folder it scans.

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
478 Posts
I am considering getting a blu ray burning to back up my collection. How difficult is it to downgrade the firmware to a version that will work and can this be done from a Mac? Or is this have to be done from a PC? I see some sellers listed on the make MGV site that sell drives preloaded with old firmware, but decent mark up over just buying the drive, enclosure and doing it myself. Thanks.
Hey if the markup is too much for you just say something. I know that one cat who cannot spell John Gotti’s name correctly will work with you the price for sure. If you buy a MakeMKV license from him (at 25% off to boot) he’ll definitely knock down the total. Plus look at that feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: aaronwt

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
So looking to understand if I can accomplish my goal with my existing equipment. I have an Apple TV 4K And a Panasonic UB800. I was hoping to rip my 4k UHD blu-rays to files and then either play them through plex on the Apple TV or copy them to a USB HD and plug into the UB800. I would prefer to use the UB800 as my player as I feel it gives a better overall picture. I am using an Epson 4010 projector.

I was hoping I could rip and create a file that would allow for complete lossless audio in the best format each movie provides along with best picture. Doing some more research it looks like maybe this is not so easy? I am seeing that the UB800 can’t play lossless audio via MKV file and produce more then 5 surround channels. Also looks like Apple TV also cant output full 7.1.4 sound as well even via plex? Am I correct with this or has anyone successfully done either?

I am not going to bother to go through the effort of converting my library to files if I cant view and hear the highest quality UHD has to offer, kind of defeats the purpose. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Apple TV does not support any Atmos or DTS:X in local lossless format. It only supports Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus. No idea what your Panasonic player supports. WIth my past experience with Panny BD players, their capability to support local file playback is extremely limited. They also strictly enforce Cinavia so that any ripped media that contains Conavia will only be able to playback for 30 minutes before it completely turns off audio.

MakeMKV rips original content, no transcoding. How you deal with the ripped content is whole another story, much more complicated than ripping, e.g. how and whether you can playback Dolby Vision, HDR10+?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Apple TV does not support any Atmos or DTS:X in local lossless format. It only supports Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus. No idea what your Panasonic player supports. WIth my past experience with Panny BD players, their capability to support local file playback is extremely limited. They also strictly enforce Cinavia so that any ripped media that contains Conavia will only be able to playback for 30 minutes before it completely turns off audio.

MakeMKV rips original content, no transcoding. How you deal with the ripped content is whole another story, much more complicated than ripping, e.g. how and whether you can playback Dolby Vision, HDR10+?
Thanks for the reply. I guess I didnt realize the playback would be complicated, lol. I guess I should have known.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
MakeMKV supports new Macs. DVDfab will not rest until every visitor to their site has spent $265 for all 26 of their disc ripping modules lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not to mention they’re in China and god only knows what you’re opening up your PC to.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I guess I didnt realize the playback would be complicated, lol. I guess I should have known.
I backup UHD BD to a NAS and then use infuse 6 pro on my ATV4K to play them.

You don't get ATMOS from these files ... for that you would want an andoid box like Shield or any of the ebay $35 boxes though I can't offer any experiences there.

For me it's not complicated at all.... back up to NAS, play with infuse. I actually prefer it to playing the discs directly and if I ever want the ATMOS I sill have the options of playing the disc or streaming the itunes version.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
I backup UHD BD to a NAS and then use infuse 6 pro on my ATV4K to play them.

You don't get ATMOS from these files ... for that you would want an andoid box like Shield or any of the ebay $35 boxes though I can't offer any experiences there.

For me it's not complicated at all.... back up to NAS, play with infuse. I actually prefer it to playing the discs directly and if I ever want the ATMOS I sill have the options of playing the disc or streaming the itunes version.
So, you get DV out of it?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
So, you get DV out of it?
Infuse only supports DV profile 5 and James says the profile 7 rips only trigger the DV flag but is not real DV. The P7 rips don’t look like DV to me either but I’m guessing it’s a work in progress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
That's what I mean. You got no Atmos, no DV. Of course, that is simple to you. But to get full glory of UHD discs, you need to get Atmos and DV working. That's the part that is complicated.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Not to mention they’re in China and god only knows what you’re opening up your PC to.
I have been using the DVDFab products for years and I have never had any problems with any virus.

Reactions: sparky7

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I have been using the DVDFab products for years and I have never had any problems with any virus.
As far as you know :). I wonder what information was stolen from you.

-T

3701 - 3720 of 3743 Posts