AVS Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3743 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings (again);

My original post can be found on page 173; here Ripping UHD 4k discs with Makemkv: Instructions How-to

I purchased a new LG WH16NS40. The one I originally had was too old and didn't have the "NS50" on it (see below).

My new drive came with firmware 1.00. When I opened DVDFab it created a message saying my optical drive is a 4K UHD drive but needs to be downgraded. I then used MakeMKV flash tool (I'm not paying DVDFab $200 to downgrade my firmware) to flash the firmware to 1.02, see below:

This time, I didn't completely ruin my optical drive. I can play DVD and Blue-Rays; however, I still can not play my 4K Ultra HD disks! And when I open DVDFab, the message still appears saying I need to downgrade my firmware to make it "backup-friendly" despite me using MakeMKV to flash the firmware to 1.02 (vs 1.00).

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You cannot play UHD Blu rays - to do that requires UHD Blu-Ray capable drive, which the drive you is not. What you drive can do is back up a UHD Blu-Ray to hard disk for later playback, so you can rip the disc.

Playback requires everything to be AACS compatible and your drive is not, so playback off the disc is not possible. Ripping just requires being able to get the disc key and decrypting it later in software.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
...I still can not play my 4K Ultra HD disks! And when I open DVDFab, the message still appears saying I need to downgrade my firmware to make it "backup-friendly" despite me using MakeMKV to flash the firmware to 1.02 (vs 1.00).

What am I doing wrong?
As Worf has already mentioned, it's not possible to use an LG WH16NS40 drive to "play" 4K UHD discs with a software player.

What you are able to do is use LG WH16NS40 drive to 'back-up' your UHD discs, using MakeMKV into the .mkv container and then play the .mkv files using a software player. Or even a hardware player or smart TV ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
As Worf has already mentioned, it's not possible to use an LG WH16NS40 drive to "play" 4K UHD discs with a software player.

What you are able to do is use LG WH16NS40 drive to 'back-up' your UHD discs, using MakeMKV into the .mkv container and then play the .mkv files using a software player. Or even a hardware player or smart TV ;)
Thank you for the reply.

Would you happen to know if the 1.02 firmware version is no longer able to rip 4K UHD? I tried both on DVDFab and MakeMKV and both didn't work. Guess I should mention I tried this with the 4K UHD Lord Of The Rings BlueRays

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Flashing the LGWH16NS40 is easily done wrong. I had to buy a second one before I got it right.

From the image you posted above everthing looks right. On the MakeMKV website there is a guide that tells you exactly which FW to use. IIRC it's not the one for the model I had ... it was a different model FW (still LG... DEFINITLY NOT ASUS) that was recommended.

quote - WH16NS40 on any Firmware directly to > WH16NS60 1.02MK - This is what I mean by mine had a different model FW as recommended. I asked about this and they told me to just do the recommended one.

I accidentally used the wrong FW with my first drive but second time around just made sure to follow the guide exactly.

edit = I haven't used DVDFab in many many years so if I were you I would test with MakeMKV. .... it shows info about the drive in the right upper pane.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
The latest version of firmware to use with this particular drive is actually v1.05 (modified). Many threads on MakeMkv sites about this topic are quite old and links are outdated as well.

As mentioned above, use MakeMKV software to show the details about your drive and it will actually tell you if you can rip UHD or not. From your photo, your drive came with firmware version 1.05. I'd try the modded 1.05 firmware. But before that, post a screen shot of what MakeMKV says about your current firmware.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The latest version of firmware to use with this particular drive is actually v1.05 (modified). Many threads on MakeMkv sites about this topic are quite old and links are outdated as well.

As mentioned above, use MakeMKV software to show the details about your drive and it will actually tell you if you can rip UHD or not. From your photo, your drive came with firmware version 1.05. I'd try the modded 1.05 firmware. But before that, post a screenshot of what MakeMKV says about your current firmware.
This is what MakeMKV currently says about my drive. Mind you I already flashed the firmware to 1.02. My drive originally came with 1.00. Is firmware 1.05 the current version that allows one to rip 4k UHD disks?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
This is what MakeMKV currently says about my drive. Mind you I already flashed the firmware to 1.02. My drive originally came with 1.00. Is firmware 1.05 the current version that allows one to rip 4k UHD disks?

View attachment 3117974
According to that, you should have no problem rip UHD discs. No need to mess with other firmware.

Your drive originally came with firmware version 1.05 according to the label you posted (ROM version 1.05), not 1.0. Some one must have messed with it before you. IIRC, anything below 1.03 will be ok for UHD ripping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
According to that, you should have no problem rip UHD discs. No need to mess with other firmware.

Your drive originally came with firmware version 1.05 according to the label you posted (ROM version 1.05), not 1.0. Some one must have messed with it before you. IIRC, anything below 1.03 will be ok for UHD ripping.
Omg, I can't believe I made a silly mistake. My tower has two optical drive bays with one being a Blue-ray, the other a DVD player. The Blue-ray player is the one I originally bricked (the DVD player stopped working a long time ago so I just left it alone). I mistakenly replaced the old DVD player with the new LG one I recently purchased and accidentally selected the old LG (bricked) Blue-ray when flashing the firmware. I forgot to change the source (see below)!!

Ugh, can't believe I made such a silly mistake. And that would explain why I initially thought my new drive came with firmware 1.00 as I tried to flash it back to its previous firmware after I bricked it (didn't work lol). And would also explain why my new drive still works as I essentially did nothing to it :)

Guess the only thing to do now is to actually flash my new drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Omg, I can't believe I made a silly mistake. My tower has two optical drive bays with one being a Blue-ray, the other a DVD player. The Blue-ray player is the one I originally bricked (the DVD player stopped working a long time ago so I just left it alone). I mistakenly replaced the old DVD player with the new LG one I recently purchased and accidentally selected the old LG (bricked) Blue-ray when flashing the firmware. I forgot to change the source (see below)!!

View attachment 3118051

Ugh, can't believe I made such a silly mistake. And that would explain why I initially thought my new drive came with firmware 1.00 as I tried to flash it back to its previous firmware after I bricked it (didn't work lol). And would also explain why my new drive still works as I essentially did nothing to it :)

Guess the only thing to do now is to actually flash my new drive.
Is the 1.05 firmware (prior to flashing) encrypted? Or do I just flash as normal?

I apologize for asking so many questions.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Yes, 1.05 is encrypted. Just find the 1.05 moded firmware and flash the same way. It is quite easy. It really doesn't matter much if it is encrypted or not.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It really doesn't matter much if it is encrypted or not.
It really does as you have to use the 'enc' flag or check box when flashing.

Reactions: T-Bone and Nitaka

·
Registered
13 Posts
What confuses me is how do I tell if the version I have is encrypted. I believe all current firmware is encrypted but I wanted to make sure. The SDF tool flasher shows a lettered code at the end of my drive's firmware, is that the same as the "bin"? And there is only one option in the folder to flash. I assume all I have to do is select said option, hit the "enc" button, hit start, and see what happens?

The "Read Firmware" option in the middle creates a backup of what's currently on my drive, correct?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
BTW I wouldn't get tempted to upgrade if there's ever newer FW like 1.07 or something. If a drive works stop flashing.
Agreed... Do not update your LG drives firmware. As any official firmware update will remove the drives capability to back-up 4K UHD discs!

Reactions: sparky7 and Nitaka

·
UHD Addict
38,243 Posts
Whew !

I'm happy to know you solved it.

BTW I wouldn't get tempted to upgrade if there's ever newer FW like 1.07 or something. If a drive works stop flashing.
Yes. I flashed my three Asus drives in Spring 2018. I have not run into any issues with them ripping several hundred UHD BD titles. Over the last three years.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Thank y'all for the warning! I'm not going to touch any further as it is now working perfectly!
If you're running Windows operating system, you'll have to configure the updates so that it does not download updates for the hardware. Only for the OS.

-T

Reactions: SuperFist
3721 - 3740 of 3743 Posts