AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3743 of 3743 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I don't think Winodws can update the drive firmware that way. No need to worry.
I thought I read in the past where firmware could be updated via the Windows update just like it may update the video card drivers (which I had to turn off hardware updates because the new drivers would give me compatibility issues).

there's a chance that I could be wrong, but it's always great practice to turn off software updates of all hardware related to Windows update.

-T

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Some firmware like BIOS can be configured to receive from Windows update, e.g. my Dell laptop is this way. But since firmware updates are quite involving and never fail safe, they are never automatically updated via Windows update. It requires you to manually select each one to apply. I have never seen any LG drives push firmware this way though.

Driver updates, not firmware updates, often resolve critical issues and should be allowed to be updated automatically. But that's up to each indivisual's preferences.

Earlier this year, there is a well known zero day exploit for Chrome browser. Many probably never care or heard of it. If you turn off the updates for all software, your PC is in huge risk of being hijacked for this reason alone.

·
Audio/Video Enthusiast
478 Posts
Glad there was a happy ending for this one! And v1.02 perfectly acceptable And my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: SuperFist
3741 - 3743 of 3743 Posts