AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a 'ripple' on Patriot about a month ago, around the time Dish was having serious dropouts with HBO-HD. It seemed to be in a strip about 20% up the screen. Hard to see at first, but noticed it on vertical pans. It was really obvious on the credits. I haven't noticed it on other HDTV broadcasts (including HBO).

Dave

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Does anyone notice a ripple effect near the bottom third of the picture on HBO HDTV? This problem is only apparent when the camera pans vertically and especially when credits roll up the screen. It's almost as if the picture is divided at the bottom third of the picture. I don't think it's a geometry problem with my TV because I don't see this problem on other channels like the demo loop on channel 199. By the way this is on DIRECTV. I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
By the way I'm using an E86 Hughes HDTV receiver if that's any help.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Wish I could offer a suggestion but everything I can think of would happen on channel 199 too. I don't see the problem onn HBO here. I assume it is always there and not just with the one movie you saw.

------------------

Don Landis

Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've been noticing it during credit rolls and it annoys me, for some reason. It appears to be only a couple of lines. It prompted me to watch credit rolls on other HBO channels, and on DVDs. But, I only see it on HBO HD. Wonder what it is. Art

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have not seen this effect on the HBO HDTV feed on C-band, so it probably is a problem with the DISH reproccessing or their feed. Bill

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gaw2:
I have not seen this effect on the HBO HDTV feed on C-band, so it probably is a problem with the DISH reproccessing or their feed. Bill
Interesting conclusion, but I don't see how you arrived at it. Most of the reports are from DirecTV users, but I highly doubt it's related to DirecTV. It's either the source or the TV's geometry. I had this and it was a linearity problem with my set, that has since been fixed.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry G:
Interesting conclusion, but I don't see how you arrived at it. Most of the reports are from DirecTV users, but I highly doubt it's related to DirecTV. It's either the source or the TV's geometry. I had this and it was a linearity problem with my set, that has since been fixed.
Gotta be somewhere at the source, this doesn't happen on any other channel. And we're talking boxes from two different manufacturers, Sony and Hughes.

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Jon,

I went into my convergence grid to double check the accuracy of my TV's geometry. The gridlines are all still roughly equivalent. Based on what others have stated on the forum it sounds like a problem with HBO HD. It's possible that this problem is interrmitent or HBO fixed the issue to explain you not noticing the ripple. Watch the credits closely at the end of a movie.

Andrew

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Could it be a vertical scaling artifact? This can happen on vertical pans and credit rolls if the vertical resolution doesn't match somewhere along the way from the original.

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry:

I'm still waiting my Buffy HD, ripple effect or no.

Me, too. But I'm in for a looooooong wait with Buffy moving to UPN this Fall. I don't even have a UPN ANALOG affiliate here (I get my UPN from WWOR on Dish)!

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Robert-

KPLR/11 is obviously the WB affiliate, but they are also the UPN affiliate (according to the UPN website and other sources). Better yet, their new digital station (26) should be up and running next spring.

Buffy in HD, that will be nice. Although, I'm sure it will be an upconverted signal for a few years.

However, according to this quote on their website, I guess it's not a done deal yet:

"To everyone concerned about Buffy and Roswell returning on WB11. We are currently in negotiations with UPN about carrying Buffy, Roswell and the new Star Trek Enterprise. Please do not send us emails, as soon as we know we will let you know."
http://www.wb11tv.com

Andy - I normally flip the channel while the credits are rolling, but I'll pay attention tonight after I watch Any Given Sunday.

------------------

Jon
Home_Theater_Pics
My_DVD_Profiler

[This message has been edited by jdiehl (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Mike-

Yeah, those fixes on the Spot (fine green grid) are to fix geometry problems...which we already covered. Andy already has his grid straight, so if he's getting rolling effects, then it's coming from Direct TV or his equipment.

PS. Nice home theater pics. Must be rough to have just a 55" HDTV for your everyday beater. :)

------------------

Jon
Home_Theater_Pics
My_DVD_Profiler

·
Registered
305 Posts
I saw it last night (6-24). On Dish HBO-HD. During the closing credits of "Simply Irresistible".

Jeremy

PS Can I just say that Sarah Michelle Gellar is Simply Irresistible! I know it's a bit on the campy side but I've now watched it several times (since HBO-HD seems to run it every other day), and I like it more each time.

------------------

D-ILA, HTPC, HDTV, Panamorph(?)

"I owe you PAIN !" -- Willow to Glory

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
After watching The Replacements on HBO HD tonight, it looks like HBO fixed the ripple problem. During the movie I didn't notice any ripple when the camera panned vertically. Also, when the credits rolled up the screen I didn't notice any distortion. If I had to bet, I'd say HBO fixed the problem on their end since members noticed the same annomaly on Time Warner, Dishnetwork and DIRECTV.

Andrew

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.