AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I couldn't find some of the old threads I had read before the search function was changed so I will just ask here.

I pretty much have a 23ft L x 19ft W x 12ft H room on the second floor. Screen is going on the short wall and there are closet doors (30 inch doors I think) on each side of the room next to where the riser is going. I want to build a riser in the back of the room and possibly a stage in the front.

I want to put in 2 rows of recliners. I was just wondering what were the dimensions that people built their risers and how tall they built their stage? I am mostly looking for height and length of the risers. And how high did they mount their screen above their stage?

What I am thinking is a 12 inch tall riser that is around 6 feet deep. Though, I guess if you recline all the way, 12 inches is not high enough. So maybe I need to go 18 inches. I was also thinking about a 6 inch stage and then mounting the screen 18 inches above that. The screen I am planning is 120 inch diagonal wide screen. Good/bad idea?

Also, should I build the stage/riser before the carpet or after? Could I build them and just attach them to the floor? Or should I build the riser after the carpet and add spiked feet to riser with like an inch clearence underneath? Sand is out of the question since this is a second floor theater.

Anyone really good in math want to run these numbers for me and make sure the back row viewing will clear the heads of the front row?

One last thing. I am putting all the rope lights on the floor and behind crown moulding on one GE zone. Is this a good idea to have them all dimming at the same time? And does the rope lighting under the stage's lip distract the viewer from the screen? Is it better to just leave out the rope lighting for the stage?

Sorry for all the questions. Just wanted to make sure since I am nearing the drywall and flooring. Then I can have all the wiring for the screen at the right height and the wiring for the rope lights where I need them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't forget, some of this will depend on what seats you use (floor-to-seat and back height, seat depth, etc.) as well as how tall the "usual" person is that will sit in front (obviously there are always exceptions to ever rule...except in this case ;) ).

If you have short seats and low backs with people who are not real tall, this is much different than using some of the higher rising theater seats, etc.

There is a nice layout/pdf over at cinemasource that goes through some of the geometry and seating/screen height stuff. I posted the link about 2-3 months ago so might want to search here first.

That said, my stage is a 2 x 6 on edge before the plywood, etc. My riser is a 2x 8 with several layers. My riser is definately too short but didn't have a choce unless I really wanted to move the front row up (whcih I didn't since it is where my wife and I sit). The back can't fully recline and walk past the front row if they are reclined. Also, include enough foot room on the riser if higher to walk past the reclined seats as if too high, you might trip stepping down off the front if you had to walk around the extended seats (is this making sense...need more coffee...or sleep).

Good luck,

Adam

Edit: Found the link:
http://www.cinemasource.com/articles/seating_guide.pdf

And here is the thread describing screen height mounting ideas, etc:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...17#post1360117

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The other missing info here is how far each row is from the screen.

The easy way to do this is right in your room.

Using some pins and a piece of string.

On the side wall put a pin up front even with the screen front to back and even with it's bottom.

Now place a pin even with first row, top of seated viewers head (tallest viewer)

Now run string from front pin across the second pin to the back wall.

Determine the placement of your second row viewer(Shortest), consider the seat height and now you can determine the riser you need.

It's way easier than it reads. Your just modeling your sight lines based on the landmarks.

BTW I'd guess you will find 12" a minimum riser height.

Also build the riser and place before carpet.

I would want the option of controlling the lighting soffit and path seperately.

IMHO-I think the under stage lighting would be a major distraction during a movie.

·
Registered
217 Posts
6 feet might not be deep enough - your feet may end up hitting the chair in front. Depending on the manufacturer, you may need anywhere from 6'-8" to 8'-0".

Personally, I'm not a fan of rope lights under the lip of the stage. It can be distracting and I've noticed the rope light gets very hot mounted in that position. It can start to sag and that becomes very unattractive.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm very happy with my 10" seating platform. That's about the maximum height you can do without adding a step up. My screen is pretty high on the wall, but if yours is going to be low, you might need a higher plaform.

Definitely check out that cinemascope link. Then, either draw your own scale pictures or use the string technique (personally, I think pictures are easier)

--Burke

·
Registered
664 Posts
What about a two tier platform? I have 7.5' head room, so I am limited in how high I can go. I will have 2 rows. The second row on a riser platform. I was thinking a thrid riser on top of the platform only wide enough to mount the seating would help. This would raise the seating higher, but when they get up and stand up on the platform, they are not hunkered down walking off. I think the chair height has a lot to do with the height of the chair riser (R2). Sitting up into the chair is better then having a view of someones head or feeling like the ceiling is brushing your head when you get up. I may try this approach, as I am near this stage of construction.

I give up on drawing this with asci! Looks right when I create it, but viewing is bad. Hope you get the point.

|................................|

|.............F.................|

|________________|

|.. ____________ ....|

|..|..........R2.........|....|

|..|_S___S___S_ |....|

|..............R1..............|

|________________|

|......S......S.....S.........|

|..............F................|

|________________|

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
BGPGuy,

I think that if you have a 10" riser you will be good to go especially if you stagger the seats so the back row sight line is between two seats in front. This would give you 6'7" in the back row which is the same as my back row. I've had two people 6'8" in my HT but 6'8" is standard door height so obviously designing the room for more than that is really unnecessary. The idea of the riser being lower than the seats I've seen done but I'm not sure you would even need to go there.

Art

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.