AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can give some advice. I see in the various riser calculators, information in height, but can someone give me a guide on how much depth you need from the from of the seat to the front of the riser? The risers I looked at are about 70 Inches deep, and if I use fold up theater style seating that looks like a lot of wasted space. Depending on what is a reasonable space needed for egress I may be able to get two levels rather than just one. Any help appreciated

Thanks
Aaron

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I made mine about Six and a Half feet. If you have recliners I wouldn't go any less then 6 feet that's for sure. If you just have a static seat like a sofa you might be able to get away with less.
Yep...mine is 6.5 feet but would have liked 7. That was putting my first row closer to the screen and I wanted to be around 9 feet so it was a bit of a compromise. Plus you don't want your second row right against the wall for sound purposes especially if you're using rear speakers.

Are you going to put any subwoofers in the back of the room?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,143 Posts
Take your tape measure to a local theater with fold up seats and measure seat back to seat back. Sitting with your back to the wall is terrible for audio in the back row. But if it is just for when the in-laws visit they can sit there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts