Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am about to start construction, possible this week or next, after spending the last couple months tearing out the existing prefinished basment. I have a quick question. What size of riser do you recommend for a 7' ceiling. I know I can't go very high, but want some opinions from the experts and from other how have been in this position. The room is 11x17.5x7. I am using Irwin theater seats to get the most chairs in the 11' width. I am going with a row of 4 in front and a row of 3 in back. The will be positioned so the back row will be looking between the heads of the front row, if that makes sense. what would you recommend???

Couple other questions that don't really pertain to the subject, but I don't want to create a new thread for them...

1) Would it look strange to have the stage higher than the riser?? Should I keep them the same size??

2) I need some quick in-line 6 inch fans, what brands do you recommmend?

Thanks!

Ron

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Your riser height will also vary depending on the screen height and size. You may be able to go with only a 4" riser as long as the second row will have good sight lines to the screen. How large a screen and how far up it is will vary this greatly.

Also, where the pj hangs will be an influence.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I was think of just going with 2x4 with 3 layers of ply. The screen size will be around 100" diagonal and 3 or so inches from the ceiling. The projector will hang above the first for second row(11' or 14') I am guessing that above the second(back) row would be the best. Thanks for the help. Anyone else???

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm just finishing up a remodel of an existing media room that has roughly the same dimensions. Both my riser and stage are roughly 8", any more and some of my friends would be smacking their heads against the ceiling. Also, because of the size of my projector, I went with putting the projector on the riser.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I use 2x6's after the ply, the riser to ceiling height would be about 6'6". That is pretty low, although it would clear my head by around 6". Also, for those of you that have use 6" can lights on your 7' ceiling, how do they look? Do they look ok?? Are you happy with them?? I would rather save the cost between the 4" and 6" cans and put it toward something else.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I persoannly think the smaller cans are a lot sexier in a theatre. I spent the money to go to 4", although I didn't do anything extravagant with the trim. I just like the smaller diameter profile.

I used the cheap ones (~$15) at Lowes. It is an all in one design (can, trim, electrical connection) Not really the best quality probably, but I only use them to show off the room and when I am working in there.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a low ceiling also, with a sofa on a platform. I have the sofa sitting on top of an additional rise of 1.5 inches above the platform. This gave me more head room for the area of the platform you stand on. The sofa was a low rider anyway, and I find it more comfy raised up. Raising the seating up should be tested before committing to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.