AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I was going to build just a 6 inch tall box to place 2nd row seating on in my home theatre for my riser, not attached to anything just a box in the middle of the room.

I have seen pictures and now in reading the new issue of home theatre builder that it’s a good idea to build the back of the room up for a riser and I do like that idea. My room is 18x12 with about a 7’ 3 ½†ceiling clearance once a ceiling would be installed.

The back two feet of the room there is a beam that lowers the ceiling to a clearance of about 6’ 6 3/4 “ once the ceiling is installed. The back wall also contains DVD storage cubby holes and the equipment rack.

If I stick with the original Riser plan of a box in the middle of the room there isn’t a problem as I can easily walk around the box to the back wall and people will only be seated while on the riser. I was going to have the riser about 3 feet off the back wall for walk around clearance so viewing distance would be approximately 9 feet in the front row and 14 feet in the back . The screen will be about 92 inches Diagonal. Not quite ideal distance but looks pretty good from tests.

If I build the back of the room up on a 6 inch riser I will only have about ¾ of an inch clearance when walking to the DVD storage or equipment. I honestly don’t see that being to big of a deal since it is not a walk way and I’d only be going there to find a DVD or change a setting on the equipment. My taller friends would have to duck a little to go back there. But the advantage is that I could see my self moving the platform and seating back 1 foot since I wont need walk around clearance to the back, making viewing distance 10 and about 15 feet respectively and from my tests was quite a bit better. There is also a drain in the back of the floor that I would have to cover up if I used the box, however if I built the riser as the whole back area I could leave the drain as is because I’ll be built right over it.

I really like the idea of the whole back built up for many reasons, the other idea I had was to build the riser only using 2x4 for a 4 inch riser but don’t know it that would be high enough. Suggestions and advice are very greatly appreciated.

You can get a general idea of the layout at http://www.pbase.com/pestario/home_theatre allot of pictures there.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think building the riser all the way to the back is a much better idea. HOWEVER, you definitely need to check the height clearance issue. You're correct about how often you will be actually having to go back there, but it needs to be functional even for those few times that you or someone else does have to access the area.

Don't forget to take into account the thickness of the plywood decking. Isn't the recommended plan on the forum something like 3/4" over 1/2" over 3/4" with 30# roof paper in between the layers? That's going to add 2" to your height.

Also, I think using a 2x4 as a riser is only going to cause viewing problems for the second row.

Robert

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have a similar layout (without the media storage along the back wall). To get to my A/V rack area in the back corner (like yours) I built my riser against only the back and left-side walls, and have a small (2' wide) "walk way" to my rack. You may be able to do something similar.

Of course, this doesn't help with your media storage area, which would still be short in ceiling height.

-D

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am initally going with just 3/4 inch Plywood on the riser, because I will be doing some tweaking under the riser eventually. Having the side walkway to the equipment is a posibilty as well.

Does anyone have a 4 inch riser? what is your experience with them? I think I can live with the lower ceiling, I guess it will almost always be me going back there as well and dvds can be seen by leaning over chairs. So many descions :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I would stick with 6" lumber for the riser. I have a similar situation in my room (presently under construction) and have actually lower clearance than you (about 6' 9"). The only time you'll be back there is to grab a DVD or change settings, and as you note, the low clearance is no big deal for you. This minor/non-existent inconvenience should not trump your preferred viewing distance IMHO.

Also, with the beam running along the back wall, having the platform go all the way back may actually be safer for guests because you won't have to worry about them falling off the back of the riser.

Kirk

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
Also, with the beam running along the back wall, having the platform go all the way back may actually be safer for guests because you won't have to worry about them falling off the back of the riser.

Kirk
Or trip over the wires that will eventually be between the wall and riser for the Bass Shakers :)

Now that I'm convinced of the 6 inch riser in the Back the only desicion left for that is to do the whole back or leave a walk way open to the equipment rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.