AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to plan my riser construction and need some advice as to what wiring should go there.

My current thinking would be for:

Two 110V lines, one switched.

Two Cat5 lines, since I read somewhere that D-Box uses them.

A quad line level audio cable, (4 twisted pair w/ground), just in case.

As for the quad cable, I was thinking that If I decided on Butt Kickers I could place the amp in the riser and use the audio cable to drive them. They could also be used for headphones, etc.

Am I missing anything? Is what I'm doing overkill?

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Phil,

I'm running two 110 volt lines to power the recliners and game console. Also, there will be HDMI, component, composite and s-video cables with wall plates so I can plug anything I want into the riser (all connected to the amplifier). There are two 12 gauge speaker wires running through the riser for the front row buttkickers as well.

So, I don't think what you're doing is overkill.

Dave

·
Registered
737 Posts
On the top of the riser I have a 2 gang box for chair power (back row). On the front I have another 2 gang box for chair power (front row). I also have a 2 gang box with a conduit running to it for AV needs (I figure it will change so I want to be able to pull the latest and greatest to it). I also have a single gang box with a dimmer in it for the step light.

Sounds like your covered. Are you planning on a step light?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was indeed planning a step light. I never thought of HDMI, etc. but it seems like a good idea.

The problem is that it is a concrete floor so no possibliliy of conduit. I'm seriously considering cutting grooves in it so the carpet can lay flat. The other option would be to bulld up the floor a bit, (1/4"??), with a rigid underlayment and run stuff through grooves in that.

The room is radient heated but with the equipment and projector I need cooling even now.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm getting ready to build the riser and am going to have two HDMI connectors and two speaker wire runs in addition to two AC runs, one always on, one switched via the Lexicon MC12B-HD. I think at this point I'm not going to bother with S-Video or composite as I think their race is run.

I'm also including two Cat 5 connectors as well.

Does this pretty much cover it? Do I have enough to support D-bOX and Butt Kicker?

Who's HDMI faceplates are people using? I saw a double at the Atlona site and was thinking of using that.

·
Registered
737 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts