AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it crazy if i want to put in an Antec Earthwatts 650 into my Moncaso 312 HTPC case, but to cut the extra cables that I don't need and to crimp and cap the wire....is this totally dangerous and a fire hazard???

http://www.kitguru.net/components/po...-green-2011/2/

i've got two hard drives installed right next to the power supply, and want to leave the third 3.5" bay open for another hard drive in the future. everything's a really tight fit already...this power supply has a million cables that i don't need.

currently, i have an antec true power 750 powering the HTPC, but i'm planning to take that out to power another pc i'm building.

·
Registered
218 Posts
you already got this psu or are you planning to buy it ?

if you planning to buy it.

i would suggest to get another one where you can plan your cable managment better.

i self use a Nexus Value 430 in my moncaso 320,

because it it's smaller compared to other PSU.

and i also got 2 drives in the cage behind the PSU.

i managent to loose allot of cables on the side of the cages.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't bought the earthwatts psu yet. I was looking into other psu as well, preferably modular ones...but i didn't want to spend too much money on it, and really i dont think i need THAT much power.

i was looking at the ocz modxstream and thermaltake tr2 because they are modular, but i think the reviews are pretty inconsistent.

my HTPC has the following:

Intel I3-2100, H67 gigabyte mobo using integrated graphics

4 gb ddr3 ram at 1333

3x Western digital caviar green drives, 2 TB each

DVDR/CDr drive

I used this wattage calculator, it said my power draw would be about 138 W.....so it seems like most psu should provide enough power.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

i can't seem to find the nexus psu for sale anywhere, i assume it was discontinued.....

what else can i use?

·
Registered
959 Posts
If you want to cut extra wires you're better off opening the PSU case and cutting them at the PCB that way there's no risk of them shorting while giving you the least amount of clutter possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh that's a good point. i've been looking at the dimensions of the earthwatts 650 and it's 6.1" deep, compared to my current truepower 750, whic his 5.9" deep and already VERY TIGHT.

i don't think the earthwatts would fit very well, so i'm looking into the 430 model, which is something like 5.5" deep. BUT...where the power connector is located on the back of the PSU, there are two wings that retain the screws (the 650 has a fully rectangular power connector)...which may press up against the case and prevent the PSU from sitting flush against the back of the case...at least this is what i'm concerned about...

anyone tried this already?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts