AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the original ending was changed after an audience preview. Does anyone know how different the original cut was, and if there are any plans for that to be released on DVD.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Maybe he got into a good film school instead of Princeton!

Mark

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
I would be very interested in seeing an alternative ending. Do you have any links regarding the final editing?
No, I just know that the two of them did not end up together, which is actually more in keeping with the rest of the movie. You know that line where he says "She told me a lot of things. I believed them all." I never bought that last scene at all, it feels like what it is, which is tacked on and "Hollywood" but audiences demanded it.

Te final line of "Time of your life, huh kid?" would have been much stronger in the original.

As to whether or not he got into Princeton in the original, I'm not sure but I think so. In that scene where his father says, "Don't you have something to tell me?" it looks like he is angry, but then he could have just been pretending so before telling Joel the news. And the cut to him after Joel says that he doesn't think so certainly did not look like it was shot later.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found some more info at a Tom Cruise fan site, from an old interview:

CC: A lot of people have ideas about what the movie is about. What's your theory?

TC: It's about today's capitalistic society. Do the means justify the ends? Do you want to help people, or do you just want to make money? Joel is questioning all of that. ...

CC: Supposedly there was a major battle over the ending.

TC: Yes. We had to change the ending to make it more upbeat and commercial. Geffen Films felt it was too...basically they felt it was a bummer, okay? [laughs] At one point, Paul said he wouldn't direct the new ending. They were going to hire another director to direct it. Paul really fought it. We all did. We all loved the piece so much. I didn't want to sell Joel out. In the end, I think we got across the same point, though. Joel knows in his heart that this woman is more important than money. That's what I wanted to get across. A lot of people, when I discuss the ending of the film with them, say Joel didn't sell out - some say he did. It's a subtle film and you walk out with what you want to walk out with. It has so many different levels.

CC: What was the original ending?

TC: It was this great, emotional scene in the restaurant. Instead of the scene outside where Rebecca says, "Do you want to come over?", she sits on my lap in the restaurant and it just ends on the sunset background coming up and me stroking her hair with her head on my shoulder. It cuts back and forth and then I say, "Isn't life grand?" It was really nice. They felt it was too sardonic. So we made it more specific and upbeat".

This confuses me. In the original she asks him to go "make love on a real train" and when he comes back all the stuff is gone, and it is certainly implied that she was in on it with Guido. That is why I never bought the scene at the end with them together. And how is he "selling out"? How else was he going to pay for the car?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The original ending had him being accepted at Princeton, but turning them down. Instead, he enrolled at the University of Illinois and ended up with a FAR superior education.

Go Illini Go! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.