AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I saw the posts about Stone Chasm. Unlike most of you guys, I do not have a front projection system, mine is a typical rear projector unit. I am therefore not as concerned about minimizing ALL reflections.

However, I found Ralph Lauren River Rock Canyon Fossil paint at Home Depot. It is lighter than Stone Chasm, so perhaps WAF is higher. It is closer to the density of 18% gray photo card than is Stone Chasm, and still seems to me to be neutral in hue.

I am considering using Canyon Fossil on the walls of my room and using Flat Ralph Lauren Thoroughbred Sweatshirt Grey for the ceiling. I am thinking about Sweatshirt Grey because:

1) Easier to paint than Canyon Fossil on the ceiling, and

2) Lighter than Canyon Fossil, which helps to reduce the closed-in feeling that a dark ceiling creates (according to some.)

Anybody have experience with either of these colors, or the combination? Any advise is appreciated...

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the dark burgundy antique leather on my front wall and ceiling as well as on the side walls for about 2'. The rest of the walls are River Rock Canyon Fossil. I cannot tell you about reflections and such as I have just completed the painting in the last week.

I will tell you that the antique leather is a heck of a lot of work. The river rock was easy to do and looks really good.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Hi Tom,

I'm using a UK Duluxe paint which was mixed to match the Kodak 18% card I gave them. I painted the side walls and ceiling with it, and I have to say that reflections are not an issue. The walls do lighten around the top corners, but it isn't a distraction, and no light appears to reflect back onto the screen.

I doubt your walls will be as close as in my set-up, so if you use the River Rock Canyon Fossil paint I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

HTH

Gary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This may not help you much, but I used the River Rock Pacific Bluff in my home office. 99% of the walls do not reflect light(Bright halogens and direct sunlight). There is, however, a small little patch that is HIGHLY reflective to direct light. You can not see this patch unless you hit it with a bright direct light. All I can think is there was something with the additive that provides texture. Is it a silica? There might have been something "extra" in my can that caused this problem. One of these days, I'll throw another coat over it to fix the problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary;

I checked your pics to understand you point, thanks. The pics must be illuminated by the camera flash.

So, when you dim the lights and are running the projector, do the walls still lighten around the top corners?

brianhinfl;

Perhaps the additive settled to the bottom of the can. Question: can you just repaint the specific area, or do you need to repaint the entire wall?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I can't comment on the color but I did use paint that has similar texture. I used the Ralph Lauren Suede paint in a custom blue/purple/gray color I made up.

One thing I found with this paint was that when I went back to touch up after everything else was done, those areas tend to stand out an awful lot. No way I am repainting the entire basement since it was a huge pain in the neck. Maybe there is a trick to matching up the brush strokes or something but so far I have not found it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mcody,

Thanks for the comments. You have allot of guts to use the RL Suede!

I decided to give Stone Chasm a try (one 18" x 18" square) last night. Needs a second coat today. Kinda cool. My wife told me that if I am to paint the room such a dark color, then I will need to:

1) sell the piano.

2) get a divider to separate the room from the adjacent dining room.

Probably a good time to do both anyway.

I also tried RL Garden Spigot as suggested here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=garden+Spigot

While it does match Stone Chasm well, it sure looks dark to me. I am considering asking my painter to apply Stone Chasm on the walls and ceiling. Alternative is Stone Chasm on the walls, and 1/2 formula of Garden Spigot on the ceiling.

Only paint I know for sure is flat black on front wall.

Thanks for the input from all...

Tom

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

My insurance company paid for painting the room, so I had a painter come in and do the following:

Side Walls: River Rock Canyon Fossil

Ceiling: River Rock Canyon Fossil

Front Wall (inc molding & base): Flat Black

Base along Side Walls: Behr Deep Amethyst

They did a tinted primer and then two coats of the River Rock. Looks like it needs a good third coat!

The piano went on ebay last night (item number 883197123).

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.