Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an RM-1271 remote for my VPH-1271QM, however only the light switch seems to be functioning. There was some battery corrosion on the terminals, but the board looks clean. The little red transmission light doesn't illuminate when any of the buttons are pressed. Are there any thoughts on how easy it would be to test and repair this device? WOuld a service manual on the RM1271 be of any help?

I have read that there is a mod for the onboard control to turn into a remote device but I haven't located any descriptions in the forum yet. Perhaps I can use both to make up a working IR remote.

thanks for any suggestions...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Mine went on the fritz a few years back. Had intermittent button failures. I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. It worked better but still not 100%. Did it again, actually a couple more times and got all the buttons 100%. It's been working perfectly the past few years and that is with its monthly bang on the floor.

The main area to focus on is the contact points on the underside of the rubber buttons and where they contact the circuit board. I took alcohol or maybe even acetone (carefully) to really scrub the contact points clean. As I recollect, they had a kind of dirty greasy film and enough dirt had mixed in with the lubricant over time to cause poor contact.

I was not sure if the light lubricant was there originally or if the remote had gotten too much popcorn butter thrown on it but I decided to reassemble it without out adding any lubricant.

If you decide to do it post me a PM and I'll try to remember the method of separating the two sections of the remote to open it up.

Oh - come to think of it. I also had a different problem; can't remember if it was related at the same time or not but it had to do with the remote just "going dead". But with a swift slap or two it would get going again. I pulled it apart and discovered one of the battery contacts had come loose at the wire. Resoldered it up and that problem went away.

·
Registered
490 Posts
there is a way to convert the wired remote to wireless... danded if I can't find the link to it though ( thread was over a year ago )

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Before doing any mods. I think it would be good to really know that the remote you have isn't working. I'll check if the red light goes on with mine with button push.

If you have a pronto... you can dl a file to program it and make sure the onboard IR receivers are working on the projector. Also, you can check that those are plugged in after removing the projector cover. There are sensors in the front and back.

If you have a remote that's JP1 compatable I made a file that lets you program it to emulate the original Sony remote and that could be tried also.

-Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the suggestions,

I did manage to open the remote and found some battery acid spill on a corner of the board, I have cleaned it (carefully) and touched the soldering iron on some of the affected joint. It sprang to life for a little while, but now I think I have to clean the contacts under the buttons (some are not working all the time)...

I have made some inquiries about a JP1 remote so I might give that a try.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Scroll

I sent you a PM

If you don't have PM'S turned on could you PM me

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.