AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is a bit of info from one of my last post in my decision thread.

Here are the materials I bought and my thought process. . Please enlighten me If I am wrong in any of my thinking.

1 RCA to XLR cable or connector to go from receiver to amp:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000068O4D/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Speakon cable to go from amp to sub:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E1U4WY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Speakon mounting plate on sub:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067JSFK/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So now I am trying to figure out how to use the amp in bridged mode and found this thread, but am a little confused:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1386895/wiring-inuke-nu3000dsp-up-for-bridged-mode

It looks like I would put the amp in bridged mode and hook in the speakon connector to channel A output and then I get lost with the 1+ pos and 2+ Neg, does this have to do with where I run wires off of the mounting plate?

Do I run run my positive wire off the 1+ terminal and negative wire off the 2+ terminal? Is that correct?

Looks like from the diagram I run the negative (2+) terminal to the negative on one voicecoil... and the positive (1+) to the positive on the subs other voice coil and them join the the other negative and positive together?

In addition to the materials above I am going to be using the SI HT18" D2 sub with an inuke 1000dsp in bridged mode.

The speaker is rated for 600 watts and the inuke 1000 dsp should give me close to 700 watts to power the speaker with in bridged mode. I am only planning on building one sub and not adding a second in the future due to current space constraints.

Please let me know your thoughts so far.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am building out of 3/4 MDF.. Bought at home depot. .I was able to use one full 4ft x 8ft sheet of plywood along with purchasing 1 2ft x 4ft piece. . And without even asking. .I was looking at my cut sheet and going to have them cut it all into rough 2ft x 2ft squares and the guy at home depot volunteered to do all of my exact cuts for me. . So that was awesome.

I'm going to finish the cube by priming it with a super cheap black spray paint to seal it and then use a spray can of truck bed liner to finish it.. Has anyone done this before? I think it could work quite well and be a durable finish. I was reading another thread elsewhere where they said you can get a pretty smooth finish by holding the can at about 8 inches vs 12 plus for a textured finish...We'll see after I do some tests.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are my pictures so far:

Cut wood:

Start on cube:

Comparison test in room old vs new..that's a velodyne vx11 10" sub.

More work:

Some holes filled:

I plan to route all the edges with a 1/2 inch round over bit and the same with the ports. .I like the way someone else's looked like that. . Plus it is more bump friendly. .. Sharp MDF corners would damage easily.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Wiring for you will be pos 1+ and neg 2+. All you will have to do is move the neg from -1 to 2+. Remember to do that on both end of speakon cable. Wire sub to 1+ and 2+ on back of sub connector . Then change to bridge mode on inuke.

We all start with just one

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24457820

Looking good :thumbup:

When do you think you will fire it up ?
Well, everything has shipped and is on its way but the sub. .. How long does it typically take to get it from stereo integrity? I ordered it on the 3rd and still have no shipping information. ..I hope it ships no later than Monday so that I can hopefully get it by the weekend to finish the build and fire it up next weekend.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do have one question. . What size is the cutout hole supposed to be? The specs say 16.7 inches.. so I just rounded it up to 16.75 to make things easy. .The hole you see in the middle brace is that size and I cut one of the other sheets for the front with the same size. ..I would like to inset the speaker into the first 3/4 inch piece of plywood. .. Right now that hole is also 16 3/4...I saw the measurements on the si site for the speaker size but I seem to remember someone saying it would be to big of a hole of they used that measurement. ..I am going to be mounting the speaker with the included gasket. .

By the way. .I was able to cut the hole quite easily measuring out and drawing the hole. .. then drilling a starting hole and using my jigsaw to follow the line and cut it out. ..I then routed it on both sides with a 1/2 round over bit and it came out great. ...I have not routed the mounting hole as there is no need to

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24457856

I do have one question. . What size is the cutout hole supposed to be? The specs say 16.7 inches.. so I just rounded it up to 16.75 to make things easy. .The hole you see in the middle brace is that size and I cut one of the other sheets for the front with the same size. ..I would like to inset the speaker into the first 3/4 inch piece of plywood. .. Right now that hole is also 16 3/4...I saw the measurements on the si site for the speaker size but I seem to remember someone saying it would be to big of a hole of they used that measurement. ..I am going to be mounting the speaker with the included gasket. .

16.75" for inside fit is good. Outside fit with gasket is 18 7/16".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24457877

Cool.. Now I can cut that hole... that was the only mmeasurement I didn't know and didn't have time to go through the whole thread looking for while I was working. . Haha..

Is 3/4 inch to deep for the inset.ll..I seem to remember someone else saying they only in else 1/2 inch. Is it recommended to inset?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24457872

Looking good! I just finished mine.....your gonna love it!
Thanks.. I'm really excited to get it going sooner than later

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24457889

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24457877

Cool.. Now I can cut that hole... that was the only mmeasurement I didn't know and didn't have time to go through the whole thread looking for while I was working. . Haha..

Is 3/4 inch to deep for the inset.ll..I seem to remember someone else saying they only in else 1/2 inch. Is it recommended to inset?

Depth is 18mm , just under 3/4".

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24458106

Depth is 18mm , just under 3/4".
Cool... so I'm good then. .btw... thanks for your instructions... They were very easy to go by. . The only thing I might add to them are measurements for the holes for the si 18 since that seems to be the speaker of choice at the moment. That is one thing I looked for on your drawings and didn't see in the first thread and then also measurements for where to mount the middle panel to take out anyones guess work if they don't realize to just mount it in the middle. Other than that. .great work!

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24458183

Cool... so I'm good then. .btw... thanks for your instructions... They were very easy to go by. . The only thing I might add to them are measurements for the holes for the si 18 since that seems to be the speaker of choice at the moment. That is one thing I looked for on your drawings and didn't see in the first thread and then also measurements for where to mount the middle panel to take out anyones guess work if they don't realize to just mount it in the middle. Other than that. .great work!

added cutout sizes. gotta leave some thinking for people for middle panel:p

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1521652/rnconyncs-martycube-build#post_24458215

added cutout sizes. gotta leave some thinking for people for middle panel:p
Hahaha..should be self explanatory. ..but you never know

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Port round overs done and I rounded the other edges of the cube that were finished.

I have to wait a bit as I was afraid of with the hone depot cutting he goofed in one cut and made one of my 19 3/4 panels 19 1/2... so I had to skim a 1/4 inch piece off of one of the scraps and tack and glue it onto the short end...Now waiting for it to dry so I can cut the last hole.

Here's a small test of the finish I am thinking of...The only thing I'm worried about is ease of cleaning...This was black spray paint with a few coats of rustoleum bed liner sprayed on it..I also am not sure how many can it will take if it is more than 2 or 3 then I may just go with duratex...but can't stand the thought of paying as much as they want for it only to do one speaker...does anyone know how long it's good for in the sealed container say if I decide I want to build more speakers in a year or two and want to use it again..

Scratch that..I won't be buying duratex...almost $60 plus $22 shipping...what a crock..looks like nice stuff but ridiculous price

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More pictures..rough fit of front and then with top.

My cutouts are not perfect. .buy pretty close for a jigsaw...I put a 1/8th inch round over on the front baffle cutouts just to make them a tad nicer looking..even if you will almost never see it.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts