AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Dish showed all their HD PPVs in OAR? Road to Perdition is 2.35 AR but it's showing right now as 1.78. WTF???

·
Registered
800 Posts
Is the audio Dolby Digital 5.1?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rrg
Is the audio Dolby Digital 5.1?
Yes.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
Road to Perdition is 2.35 AR but it's showing right now as 1.78.
Yup, I can confirm this.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Camera

Panavision Cameras, Platinum Primo Lenses

Film negative format (mm/video inches)

35 mm

Cinematographic process

Super 35 (Kodak Vision 500T 5279, Eastman EXR 100T 5248)

Printed film format

35 mm (anamorphic) (Kodak Vision Premier 2393)

Aspect ratio

2.35 : 1

Source: IMDB.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
Damn! I thought Dish HD PPV would at least maintain OAR. Why the hell would anyone pay to watch an altered movie like that?

I hope they didn't abandon OAR and just showed this because it's the only copy they could get.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PVR
Sometimes Open Matte is the best way to go for Super35 films.
I don't know if it's the best way to go since I really like seeing the movie the way it was shown in theaters. However, if it was filmed with the Super35 format, then I have no problem with them opening up the matte to fully display it on a 16x9 screen. Another words, nothing is getting cut off (except for any over-scan on individual displays) and therefore everything that was seen in the theater is still available to see at home.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I noticed the same thing, although it was on the BEV PPV station. What really got me upset is that I ordered Austin Powers a few weeks ago and it WAS shown in OAR, which led me to believe that all the PPV flicks would be OAR....... Guess i've learned my lesson. Take nothing for granted, and NEVER order PPV!

-Sp

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Take nothing for granted, and NEVER order PPV!

-Sp [/b]
Oh, I don't know about that. At least on DirecTV they give us a 5 minute free preview to see if you want to buy into it or not. That 5 free minutes is enough time to see if a movie is OAR and if it has 5.1 DD audio.

OAR can a little tricky though. Luckly there are websites such as http://us.imdb.com/ where one can type in the name of the movie and find the OAR and other information when you click on "Technical Specs"

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm not so pissed about Road to Perdition being Non-OAR, but I am wondering if they've got a new policy or something? I hope not. I want to see 2.35:1 movies STAY that way. Dish HD PPV and Showtime HD are the only ones that respect OAR, at least until now.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
How is having part of the screen cut off not ok but having part not supposed to be shown somehow ok? They both go against the general principal of not seeing what the director intended. So showing stuff you werent supposed to see is better then not seeing stuff you were meant to? I don't buy it.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
You can always put curtains on top/bottom of your screen if you want an Open Matte to look OAR.

If it has been zoomed/cropped there is no way to get the sides back...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yup, it is an opened matte compared to the 2.35:1 DVD. The 5 minute preview looked fantastic. The framing of the characters against the backgrounds wasn't as "tight" as on the 2.35:1 version. This made the scenes, especially outdoors, seem more "airy" - sorry, I really can't find the right words right now.

I liked the way it looked in 16/9 slightly more, but I feel guilty knowing it's altering the work of a cinematographer as great as Conrad Hall. I still haven't made up my mind about my preference in these cases...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
So showing stuff you werent supposed to see is better then not seeing stuff you were meant to? I don't buy it.
When it's filmed, they take into consideration the full frame while being filmed IF shot with the Super35mm format. It was ment to be seen that way if used with different media...video...being a good example.

This is much better than having a 2.35:1 format CROPPED to fill a 1.78:1 screen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.