AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 8 years ago, I went to Detroit to visit Art Sonnenborn and Jeff (thebland) so I could experience their theaters, hoping to pick their brains about the best way to approach building my own home theater. I also went to Texas to see Ash Sharma's theater and Lon's (LJG) theater in Long Island.

I can't thank them enough for inviting me into their homes and allowing me to pummel them with zillions of questions. When I was at Art's, Mark Seaton (who was kind enough to hang out with us) mentioned that I should consider Keith Yates as the designer for my room. I said, "Who's that?"

8 years later, I know who Keith Yates is. :) I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time right now to do an extensive build, but I've got a few photos I can share - mostly showing the finished theater. If people are interested, I can try & upload photos of the entire process (I documented everything). There's a thread that Art started after visiting my theater for the first time last week, where you'll find some descriptions of the theater dimensions and equipment

Here's the link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/2519561-evening-rob-hahn.html

Before I go into the details of the room, let's just start with some photos. These first 4 are of the projection room:

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
We extensively remodeled our home, gutting half of it & tearing down & rebuilding the other half (the theater section). This allowed us to completely control the space. It was highly important to me that I had enough height to do 4-way masking. I also wanted a fairly wide theater (I don't like shoebox sized commercial theaters).

The largest screen size I could have was 19' - so that's what we ended up with. The exterior box that houses the theater space (as you can see from the pics) became much smaller as we added framing, acoustic treatments, HVAC, etc. These next 5 pictures show the progression of the size of the room from construction to finished product:

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are 4 pictures showing the back of the theater from the same angle in various stages (the last one I panned my camera to the right a little to show the size of the screen):

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next are 3 pictures showing some of the woodwork and fabric, and a 4th pic showing the view from the 3rd row. We used SketchUp and GoToMeeting during the schematic design phase, since Keith's company is on the West coast and I'm on the East coast. In real time, I could ask them to zoom into a specific molding, in 3D, and make adjustments right then & there. They'd upload the the latest design of the theater in SketchUp and I could walk through the theater - it was amazing and extremely helpful. We had to find acoustically transparent fabric, not only for the speakers hidden behind the fabric but also for all the acoustic treatment.

I worked a long time on the design with Keith. I wanted the movie experience to be all encompassing, but I was worried that making a bat cave would be uncomfortable and oppressive. So we built a hybrid. The back half of the room has warm wood and carpet, classic moldings, but the front half surrounding the screen is black. When sitting in the 2nd row, there is only black... The 4th pic, as mentioned shows the view from the 3rd row.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next are 3 pictures from the entrance (and one of the ceiling). 1st shows the huge baffle wall that houses the 3 JBL M2 (not installed yet in this pic). The hourglass shapes (6 of them, the 3 below are hard to see) contain 2 24" UberSubs, facing each other - 12 subwoofers total. Also under each center seat in Rows 2 & 3, is one UberSub (so 14 in total). There are also 8 custom designed JL subs sprinkled throughout the room, 22 subs in all.

2nd picture is the finished room...

3rd picture shows what's happening 'behind the curtain.' I'm a cinematographer (Director of Photography) so I had a lot of fun designing the lighting scheme to showcase all the speakers and acoustic treatments behind the fabric.

The 4th picture shows the ceiling and what's behind the fabric. There are 10 speakers in the ceiling (it's an Atmos theater)...

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! I should add that Geoff Franklin of The Projection Room is responsible for the incredible video portion of the theater, including all the _amazing_ wiring of the theater. He & Keith have worked on many projects together so the coordination between them was fluid & flawless...

As I get time, I will upload more pictures. Funny you should mention a video - I actually captured the entire process on 8 timelapse cameras. Talk about editing issues! I don't know if I'll _ever_ get to do it, but I'd love to put all the footage together some day. Problem is, there are too many movies to catch up on!

-Rob

·
Registered
77 Posts
Speechless. The amount of time involved in this room is enormous (and I wasn't part of it, I KNOW it was from experience).

When you are bored, drop a list of equipment used.

Once again, outstanding. Your house must be equally impressive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
:eek: Wow. Just wow! A truly impressive project.

I'm laughing at myself for the faux pas going on in my head: - when I first started reading the thread, and you said "the first 4 are of the projection room" - I thought you meant, these 4 photos are of the theatre with a projector in it, like we're more used to seeing (I actually thought, 'well, it's a bit tall and narrow, but we're used to seeing people make best use of their limited available space.')

It was only as the thread continued that I realised, you really did mean 'the projector room' - and not the theatre! Talk about 'go big, or go home!':D

Brilliant! Just brilliant.

1 - 20 of 476 Posts