functions, TV for everything else volume/mute/ch+-

On my SS remote I could play around with VCR and TV

controls to get what I want. With the 5040 remote

it only has a TV power button. I can get the volume/mute

working by setting the appropriate TV code, but I can't

get the unit to power on/off because the tv/vcr combo

needs a VCR power on/off.

Is there any way for the TV power button on the 5040

remote to be made into a VCR power button?

I was looking for a 5040-specific version of this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/manuals/OEM.shtml?Replay

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why not just pick you up a cheap learning remote? I use One4All URC-8910:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=792&scat=848

It has a keymover feature similar to what you describe - or you could just re-learn the power button.

(BTW, that's not the best price for it - I got it somewhere on the web for around $34.) I think even Walmart sells a real cheap learning remote these days too. Its maybe $12 - but the 8910 has way more useful features!

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because I'm cheap and I have 2 5040 remotes lying around that

are unused :)

These new 5040 remotes seem to have a jp1 connector and I

was also wondering if anyone has played around with them.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
Because I'm cheap and I have 2 5040 remotes lying around that

are unused :)

These new 5040 remotes seem to have a jp1 connector and I

was also wondering if anyone has played around with them.
Yes, they are jp1-able, and you should easily be able to do what you want via jp1. (But believe me, if you go this route, you'll end up getting another remote eventually, since for so little money -- $10 to $20 -- you can create such a powerful remote with complex macros).

As for your original question, I think the 'replay' device key in the original showstopper and replay 2xxx and 3xxx remotes was an 'audio' key and if that's still true for the 5xxx remotes I would guess your stuck. But if the Replay key on the 5xxx remotes is actually a 'vcr' key, I would think you could do the folowing:

1. Open up Rob's manual that you pointed to in your original post.

2. Use his instructions to disable the replay codes (his item 11).

3. Use his instructions to program the replay key to be your vcr (his item 1).

4. Use his instructions to move the vcr keys you want over to the tv key (his item 9).

5. Use his instructions to restore the replay codes (his item 12).

Short of the jp1 approach, I can't think of how you can define anything for the vcr if the replay key turns out not to be a vcr device key, but you can try posting the question in the yahoo jp1 group forum to see if any of those geniouses can figure out another workaround.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm a bit of a JP1 nut and I've been trying to get my hands on one of the new 5k remotes.

I have a slightly used RCA RCU-810 in perfect condition with the JP1 connector already soldered in. Would you be interested in a trade? If you aren't familiar with the RCA, search for 'RCU810B' at www.bestbuy.com. They are programmable and extendable through the JP1 interface.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would trade except I like to keep the original remotes in

case I resell the unit. I think I'll use this as an excuse to

play with the jp1 connector on the 5040.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
...I think I'll use this as an excuse to

play with the jp1 connector on the 5040.
Be very very careful...jp1ism is a serious addiction. Once you get going, you may think you can stop any time you want, but then it turns out you're wrong...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Be very very careful...jp1ism is a serious addiction. Once you get going, you may think you can stop any time you want, but then it turns out you're wrong...
You say, "Oh, I need a backup in case the backlighting breaks in my 1994", and "This is the last remote I'm buying" . Before you know it, you have more remotes than AV components.

But anyhow....I thought sonicblue was going to sell the 5k remotes by themselves. Any news on that?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
sfhub,

In theory the R5k remote is programmable using JP1, and you can probably make it do everything you want, however the first step in adding support for a new remote is for me to get my hands on one of them, and so far I have been unable to get a loan of one of these, so for now, they are not programmable using JP1.

Now, on the other hand, if you would be prepared to lend me your R5k remote, I would figure out all the JP1 stuff and return it to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.