AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, if this post is not appropriate for this forum, I apologize. It may belong in the Yahoo JP1 forum, but I can't access yahoo forums through my work firewall. So here I am:

I've searched and searched and found limited info regarding the solution to my problem. I have the RCA S-video 6 device selector (VH920). It is VERY finicky about that IR codes it responds to. It does learn whatever IR code you want to switch inputs, but it doesn't respond to the learned codes very well. It requires a key hold of 1-2 seconds.

I would like to be able to switch devices using a macro. I have the RCA RCU810 remote and jp1 cable/programs. So what is the best way to program the remote to switch devices using a macro?

I have a couple of thoughts. First, simply repeating the key press within the macro. I tried this and it is not reliable. sometimes it switches, sometimes it doesn't. What the VH920 really seems to want is a key HOLD, not multiple presses.

Second, is there a "HOLD" type command I can incorporate into my macro? Or, alternatively, can I manually edit the actual data that is sent from the remote so it is a longer stream, kinda like holding the key down?

I wonder if the VH920 responds better to certain IR signals? Maybe since it is RCA brand it will respond better to RCA commands?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My knowledge of JP1 is limited, but I have successfully programmed my RCU810 to control 2 Tivos and a Replay, etc.

TIA,

John

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Hi John,

First off, we have moved the JP1 forum from Yahoo to my server, so you should be able to access it from work now, here's the new URL:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums

The VH920 responds to regular RCA signals for all but the AUX inputs. We created a special version of the RCA protocol which simulates holding the button down just for the VH920 and you should be able to find an upgrade for for it in the Misc folder. (Upgrade files are still in the Yahoo group, so you'll have to wait till you get home to down it, but I'm guessing your JP1 cable and remote are at home too).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Rob...as usual, you are the man. I'll check the yahoo group misc. files when I get home and see how it goes. thanks again.

john

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.