AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are a Robotech fan and are rich and want to buy the set again (or sold it on eBay in anticipation of this set,) this, IMHO, is worth it.

This is off of watching the first episode only.

PICTURE: Outstanding. Almost up there with the Macross (original Japanese version) remaster, I need to do some screen shots.

Sound: The 5.1 remaster is EXTREMELY well done, you will be shocked when you first listen to it, the ambiance almost sounds, alien, but once you get used to it, it really adds to it.

It is the extended cut from the original Macross also, I think there was maybe 30 seconds tops, in the first episode, but for those that care about Robotech, more is always better.

The only down part is that the menus were not redone, but otherwise, this is a great set and I eagerly await the rest of them.

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
I just sold my old Robotech set. I just decided to purchase Macross, Mospeada and Southern Cross seperately.

I did manage to pick up Mospeada for $20 off Amazon Resellers. Macross is relatively expensive tho.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
??? I know nothing of this. Is this the U.S. dubbed version? The original? Link please?

I have the original Animeigo boxed set (bloody fantastic) and the single discs of the dubbed version.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hate Harmony gold!!!

First I buy the complete macross series on LD ( 36 eps )

Then they release the DVD's .. so I bought the whole set of 7 boxes with extras.

And now they expect me to buy the whole series again?? Why didn't they warn us :(

The original Macross series fans are laughing at us Robotech fans :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderstokke
I hate Harmony gold!!!

First I buy the complete macross series on LD ( 36 eps )

Then they release the DVD's .. so I bought the whole set of 7 boxes with extras.

And now they expect me to buy the whole series again?? Why didn't they warn us :(
My other forum is Ars Technica and the webmaster for Robotech.com posts there. This question was raised by a couple of irate posters and the dude explained the situation.

When they first went to produce the Robotech DVDs (basically made from videotapes), they weren't sure what the market was. It had been several years since any previous video release and the Anime market had grown rapidly and they weren't totally certain that Robotech would be well received since it wasn't "pure" anime. They thought about doing a careful remastering job by going back to the original Macross elements (as opposed to the Robotech elements they already had on videotape) and decided against it as it would extremely costly and the income was uncertain.

When the first Robotech DVDs sold like hotcakes, they went ahead and took the plunge of taking the newly remastered Macross, Southern Cross, and Mosepeda footage and recutting it in order to make newly remastered Robotech DVDs.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And they kindly added a 5.1 soundtrack, which I don't think the Macross Remasters have...

·
Registered
19,235 Posts
I think all they accomplished was drive those of us who owned the original set to the "pure" anime. At least they have for me.

I was a little upset to begin with that first release had a vertical line running through the middle of a few episodes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I gotta get this! last things i owned of robotech were on vhs (well, one tape from the robotech and one from southern cross) and now are detiorated :( ..how can you tell the old ones from the new ones?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The Macross boxed set has the original mono sound. Thanks God.

Looks like this new Robotech DVD release is direct mail order sale only. No retailers.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Free shipping for "In Stock" items. But this is a pre-order. Hmmm???

Price is certainly right.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens

Looks like this new Robotech DVD release is direct mail order sale only. No retailers.
Just saw a bunch of these on the shelf at my local BB. If it's the right one ("Remastered Ext. Ed - 01/02), I believe the two disc set was going for about $19.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Actually, it looks like the same Robotech we were used to. Only higher quality pictureand sound.

TK Doom, how do they handle the extended scenes are far as music and dialogue? I had thought that the scenes cut were never dubbed or scored.

I've placed my order with BestBuy.com.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only REAL extended scene that I have noticed so far is the Minmei shower scene, where in Macross (Jap) they would pan up her whole body, but in Robotech (Original) they would cut from legs to face.

In R:Extended, they too pan up the whole body, and the music was just playing...we're talking a few seconds at best, that is all I have noticed so far.

The effects shots are where most of the changes are (ala Star Wars: SE), mostly Sound editing and effects.

The credits are longer and they did do some looping (of music), but the main episode is pretty seamless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.