AVS Forum banner

2981 - 3000 of 3028 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
wgce

Gotta be soon on the move? A few times yesterday and today, one of my tv's tried quite awhile to lock on channel 26. Maybe they are doing something?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Anyone know when WGCE is moving to rf26?
I have never once received them on rf25 if they really do exist.
But their new signal will be like WGBT and be much stronger.
Their current RF 25 signal is very low power from a tower west of Rochester because they had to protect WCNY's signal in Syracuse, who up until last summer was also on RF 25. Most areas in the yellow and red zones would need a stronger rooftop antenna:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=71041c25246c4da8a2aacf6212b6c0ea&site=1&map=Y

Their RF 26 signal will be much stronger and on the same tower that has WUHF:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=25076f916f59307e016f66bf1e8b3378&site=1&map=Y

And is their main channel really Courttv????
Seems a little lame if so.
WGCE-CD is a HC2 owned station, you're lucky their lineup is comprised of diginets that couldn't get a full power outlet in Rochester like CourtTV, Grit, GetTV, Cozi and Buzzr, as opposed to the mix of infomercial, shopping and religious channels that many other markets have on their HC2 stations. It's not like they could have gotten anything better, the major networks like CW, Ion and MeTV rather be on subchannels of full power stations that can cover the entire DMA and negotiate for cable carriage on their behalf, instead of the primary station of a low power or class A signal that can't claim must carry status to reach cable and sat viewers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Hopefully we’️ll see them on 26 in the next few weeks.
Phase 10 deadline i believe is July 8.
I wonder if we’️ll see WHSH and WAWW back anytime soon.
WHSH has a construction permit for channel 25 and WWAW an application for Channel 30.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice!
Getting strong signal of WGCE on rf26 on north shore of Lake Ontario.
Nothing really new though... all of their channels I already get on either Buffalo or Syracuse stations.
But I really appreciate that court and grit are 720p.

·
Registered
39 Posts
WGCE is often a pixelated mess even with strong signal and quality.
It’s like the tuner is struggling to decode it.
Anyone else seeing this???

·
Registered
179 Posts
Must be whatever he trouble was at wgce, it got worse? No shows for over a day now. I don't have a signal meter, but it seems like they are on just not showing anything. Ay idea?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone know when any of the local stations will broadcast in ATSC 3?

I see Rochester NY is on the list above, but I can find no information anywhere else. I have an external Silicone Dust ATSC 3.0 receiver arriving in a month or so. It seems like I will have to use the ATSC 1.0 function of the receiver for awhile until the broadcasts start in ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought this antenna: https://www.amazon.com/Omnidirectional-Amplified-Exclusive-Amplifier-Marine-20ft/dp/B08BRYJLTL

I bought 100ft of quad shield RG6. I know quad shield is mostly not neccessary, but this is what I bought anyway.

I threaded the cable through to the attic (a good 30 feet above the ground), mounted the antenna, crimped on RG6 connectors, and plugged in the included amplifier.

Nothing. Not one channel when I did a channel scan.

After much messing around with the RG6 connectors I realized that, with just the bare core middle copper wire, if I merely jam that into the center of the connector on the antenna (without RG6 connectors at all) then I can receive all the channels I can reasonably expect for my area. Once I actually use a connector thereby connecting the shielding to the outer threaded part that you twist on, all signals go away.

Is this telling me I have a bad bend or break somewhere in my 100ft of wire such that some sort or short between the center cable and the shielding is happening? Is this a cheap/faulty antenna?

I also realized that I can receive many channels with just the cable dangling around in the attic not connected to the antenna at all.

While I can go on working as it is, this of course bothers me. What steps can I take to troubleshoot further?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
Temporarily hook up the antenna close to the TV with a short coax. See if the "problem" persists.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
  1. See this thread and assemble the information.
  2. Disconnect the coax from both ends and, using a multimeter, test resistance between the center conductor and the outside of the F-connector. The needle shouldn't move. If it does, stop here and redo the connectors.
  3. Follow @Ratman's suggestion.
  4. Post the information from #1, above, and let us set you up with a better solution.
  5. Send that antenna back to amazon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok:

<<Location>>
Penfield, NY (14526)

<<Location of antenna>>
Attic. Roughly 25-30 feet above ground. Siding on house is vinyl.

<<What make and model of television(s) are you connecting>>
a couple. A cheap Vizio and an LG 55LM8400.

<<Length and type of coax. (Hopefully RG-6)>>
100 feet of quad-shield RG6, cut to probably around 80 feet

<<antenna>>
ANTOP: Amazon.com: Omnidirectional Amplified Outdoor TV Antenna Exclusive Powerful Amplifier Booster, Support 4K 1080P UHF VHF Freeview HDTV Channels Enhance VHF Reception for Outdoor/RV/Marine-20ft Coax Cable: Home Audio & Theater
pointing 264º towards most of the local towers

<<antenna amp>>
The default one that comes with the antenna

<<splitter>>
Antronics CMC2004V-HEP, 5-1002Mhz

Coax comes down from antenna in attic through house to basement, into amplifier, out to splitter, then to TVs in the house.

I know there are better antenna options. I had a Marathon model antenna in my old house which worked really well but didn't feel the need to spend that kind of money here.

Again, with the RG6 shielding unattached to the connectors, I get all the expected channels in the area. When connected, everything goes away.

I will perform the ohmmeter test shortly.

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Your RabbitEars report would also be helpful

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I did the ohm test and it was totally open. I disconnected both ends and it tested totally open (no short).

While I was up there I re-did the connector properly with the shield mesh connected and the antenna does now seem to work.

It was odd to troubleshoot since it seems that just a dangling 6-foot RG6 off the back of the TV seemed to also pick up all the channels. Which still makes me think that with a better antenna I should be able to pick up more.

2981 - 3000 of 3028 Posts