AVS Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3028 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,389 Posts
Ok. Good.

RabbitEars.Info

I get all the green "good" (when antenna pointed to 264º) but nothing below that.
At a six-mile distance, you should be able to get everything with rabbit ears. Below the "green" stations are stations that'll be a tough get without a lot more aluminum and possibly going to the roof. I'm sure some Rochester members know more about your terrain and potential issues.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
At a six-mile distance, you should be able to get everything with rabbit ears. Below the "green" stations are stations that'll be a tough get without a lot more aluminum and possibly going to the roof. I'm sure some Rochester members know more about your terrain and potential issues.
I live about 3 miles from Pinnacle hill and have had problems for years. I'm by 590 by Winton and Empire. I suspect that the raised road is causing the interference. It's worse in the summer when the trees have leaves. The newer tuners are better, but it's a crap shoot when I try to record via plex. I am using a HD Homerun but have tried many others. The antenna is an amplified flat Wineguard.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I live about 3 miles from Pinnacle hill and have had problems for years. I'm by 590 by Winton and Empire. I suspect that the raised road is causing the interference. It's worse in the summer when the trees have leaves. The newer tuners are better, but it's a crap shoot when I try to record via plex. I am using a HD Homerun but have tried many others. The antenna is an amplified flat Wineguard.
Being just three miles from the transmitter sites, overamplification may be causing your reception problems. The chips used for tuning can get overwhelmed by very strong signals. Of course living next to moving obstructions doesn't help either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is this community's general recommendation for the best antenna, if money is no object? My last house I had a Marathon which worked well, was able to pick up 60+mi stations but I never did a side-by-side comparison with any cheaper antenna with all other variables equal.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
What is this community's general recommendation for the best antenna, if money is no object? My last house I had a Marathon which worked well, was able to pick up 60+mi stations but I never did a side-by-side comparison with any cheaper antenna with all other variables equal.
It really depends on where you live and what you want to get. I've heard of people by the lake getting Canadian stations with a rotatory external antenna. I got Buffalo once ages ago, but that was some sort of atmospheric anomaly. That was in my current location with a UHF antenna at about 10' high outside. I got rid of that when the stations moved back to vhf.

I can get reception from antennas that look like toys, depending on the tuner. New tuners are much better. My LG and Vizio in particular. I'm pretty sure LG makes Vizio since the vizio remote turns on the LG tvs. The HD Home run is not that good.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Since you're only seven miles from Pinnacle Hill, you should only need an old fashioned rabbit ears (for VHF) and loop (for UHF) combo indoor antenna. The only problems would be from street level obstructions or nearby structures that can cause reflected signals (which in turn could cause dropouts). If you use an indoor antenna, you should know that cinder block or concrete will block VHF signals. Worse yet, aluminum siding blocks everything. So if you live in a structure made of any of these materials, you will likely need to put the antenna near a window facing Pinnacle Hill for good reception.

From looking at you're Rabbit Ears results table, you have a FAIRLY good chance of receiving the three Buffalo TV stations listed with "poor" (in red) signal strength. You will need a very high gain rooftop antenna to receive them. You would probably need a preamp too, but that could cause signal overload for the Rochester stations. Not being a local, I don't know what else I can add.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I hooked up my tv antenna here in Gates and I was able to get the Canadian channel Global Peterborough. I'm off spencerport rd

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nice. What's the name/model of the antenna? Does it face North?

In North Greece where I lived before I could have probably gotten some Canada stations. Seems hard to get much of anything outside of the local stuff here in Penfield. It's like in a gully or something.
Here's the link to where I bought it...

And yeah it's facing north, not really put any where special..just stood up in the living room bow window

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's the link to where I bought it...

And yeah it's facing north, not really put any where special..just stood up in the living room bow window
Do you use the corresponding amplifier or no?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have dish network and Dish is showing the bills game in 4k on channel 540-01 right now

3001 - 3020 of 3028 Posts