AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to start a new thread, but the Rock Band Discussion thread is enormous.

Besides the wireless feature, can someone tell me if the RB2 drums are much better then the RB1 drums. The RB2's sell for $90, while the RB1's are $30.

It would be for casual use with friends over, and being wireless isn't that big a deal since my 360 isn't far away from where it would be.

· Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 /forum/post/15415216

Besides the wireless feature, can someone tell me if the RB2 drums are much better then the RB1 drums. The RB2's sell for $90, while the RB1's are $30.

It would be for casual use with friends over, and being wireless isn't that big a deal since my 360 isn't far away from where it would be.

RB2 drums:

more durable(the backing of pads don't crack)

More rebound

quieter(volume wise identical but the sound is lower in frequency so it isn't as annoying. what was a loud TACK! is now a soft thwack).

velocity detection(though it got gimped with the latest patch since the volume of your fills was never high enough).

expansion ports for up to 3 cymbals(and a rumored high hat pedal).

Certian models have had some sensitoivity isssues early on but those reports have died down since launch.

teh RB2 drums are worth it in the long run but most people here will tell you teh IONs are the best out there(that or high end v-drums with a kick box adapter).

· Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't realize the cymbols were only specific to the RB2 drums. I haven't seen a set of RB1 setup in a store to see a difference between those and the new ones.

I got to stop by CC on the way home from work to return something that will give me an $80 credit and was hoping to use it towards drums (friends coming over tomorrow night). Unfortunately, work internet restrictions don't allow me to look at game sites for comparisons.

The ION's look sweet, but I couldn't justify spending that much for casual play...right now.

Thanks for the info.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
I have both, and IMO, if you are only going to play casually, save your money and get the RB1 drums... I personally like the RB2 drums because I need the wireless capability for my home theater. But for some reason I get more wrist pain with the RB2 drums.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
I never trusted my RB1 drums. They never got to the point of breaking because enough strangely broken streaks convinced me it wasn't worth the effort. I don't know if RB2 drums are more accurate or not, but by all accounts they are and are more durable to boot. You won't have to worry about telling your friends to be gentle on the pedal either.

· Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR6AGB001 /forum/post/15420520

If you're gonna spend money on RB2 drums just spend a little extra and pick up the goodwoodmods kit.
http://goodwoodmods.com/products.html

define "a little extra" considering the RB1 drum kit is $29.99 at CC, and the goodwood mods kit is $149.99, and that doesn't even include a pedal. include a pedal, and you're at around the $229.99 range or so, and you would be better off dropping the hammer on a new ION kit for $40 more at amazon WITH free shipping...

here's my experience from using both...

the RB1 drums are actually pretty good, as long as you get the QM pads, if you don't mind having to attach a cord. the RB1 pedal is fine, until you start playing the harder songs on the harder difficulties, mine never broke but i never played anything harder than the harder songs on medium and the easier songs on hard. the pads are rather loud, but that can easily be cured with a set of silencers, the official RB silencers will work fine on QM pads and are less than $20. if you have a EL pads, this is kinda where the problems start, because they're not as sensitive as the QM pads and require a thinner silencer. also, if you play on a wooden floor, expect the kit to slide all over the place unless you put a rug under it. if you're a casual gamer, and don't plan on playing expert drums any time soon, than the RB1 kit is fine. and even if you do plan on playing on expert drums, you could always just upgrade the pedal for around $69 or so later on, that's what some of the better players here did...

the RB2 drums are also pretty good. i've seen 2 different types of pads, the EL and SL, and this time around the EL pads are actually VERY good. the pads are velocity sensitive, meaning the harder you hit them the louder the note plays. they're wireless, and take 3 AA batteries, but the batteries actually seem to last a pretty long time. the pads are quieter than the RB1 pads, and do rebound better, so rolls are easier than on the RB1 pads without silencers. in my experience, the centers of the pads to tend to bubble from hitting the center rather hard, but this could easily be avoided by using the official RB drum silencers for less than $20. also, both types of RB2 pads are very sensitive so the silencers will work fine any RB2 pads, and they also make the RB2 pads VERY quiet. the metal poles on the stand now have notches, to help you make sure that both sides are the exact same hight, which was kinda a problem with the RB1 stand. also, the bottoms of the stand are much tackier, so it doesn't slide around at all on a wooden floor. in addition, you can add anywhere from one to three cymbals to the RB2 drum kit, and that will cost you anywhere from $20 to $40 (lets not kit, the triple cymbal kit that retails for $40 is going for about $100 on ebay, because no one stocks them and they usually have to be ordered online). lastly, while the pedal may look much stronger, it's not that much stronger and can still break under severe stress. the plate on it is very thin, and IMHO is really only for show, it's not like you're putting playing with a real drum pedal or anything like that...

also, you only have 60 days to RMA RB2 drum parts, but you have an unlimited amount of time to RMA RB1 drum parts. i don't know if they changed the time for the RB1 stuff, because it's been a while, but i know for a fact that it's only 60 days for the RB2 stuff and you NEED a legible copy of the receipt too. so basically, no receipt, no RMA...

as far as the RB1 drums go...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Rock-...oductDetail.do

and if no one has them in stock by you, order them online, you will get free shipping. the only problem is that you won't know if it's an EL or QM until you open the box, and i'm guessing they have older sets, so chances are you will probably get an EL kit. what you should do is print it out, the go to BB by you and have them price match it because they should still have some stock left, that way you can at least open the boxes to see which pads you will get. the serial number is on the inside of the left or right flap when you open the box, and the last 2 letters are the model, so it will either end is QM or EL. if for some reason it ends in SL, they're like the QM pads, so you can get those too...

· Registered
1,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 /forum/post/15415216

Remember that the wireless drums require batteries. Something to consider. Also, if you buy the "pads" for RB1 drums, the sound level is about the same. You have to hit it a little more accurately with the pads, but it's not too bad.

The foot pedal on the RB2 drum is a bit more sturdy. For casual play, I'd go with RB1 drums. (keep in mind though that you can expand RB1 drum kits with Cymbals etc)

· Registered
2,919 Posts
$30 vs $90? The RB2 drums aren't THAT big of an upgrade. I'd buy the RB1 drums, especially if it's just casual use. Use the money saved to invest in a nice pedal if you want to upgrade anything.

· Registered
5,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb /forum/post/15420694

Remember that the wireless drums require batteries. Something to consider. Also, if you buy the "pads" for RB1 drums, the sound level is about the same. You have to hit it a little more accurately with the pads, but it's not too bad.

The foot pedal on the RB2 drum is a bit more sturdy. For casual play, I'd go with RB1 drums. (keep in mind though that you can expand RB1 drum kits with Cymbals etc)

even with gum rubber pads the RB1 drums don't have the rebound the RB2 ones do.

· Registered
1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalnoise /forum/post/15421240

even with gum rubber pads the RB1 drums don't have the rebound the RB2 ones do.

True, but as the OP said, he's looking for a set for casual play... Rebound is not even near something a casual player notices, the RB1 drums are fine for casual play (and regular play for that matter)...

· Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses (especially FIVE ONE SIX with all that detail - appreciate it).

I ended up going with the RB2 drums - haven't had a chance to open them up yet to see which kind I got yet though. I had an $80 credit, so I didn't feel as bad about the $60 difference (not to mention that no one had the RB1 drums).

It will definitely be casual play to start (starting tonight), but I tend to get addicted to things pretty quickly, and I used to love hammering the drums when I was a teenager.

Thanks again everyone.

· Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 /forum/post/15421586

I ended up going with the RB2 drums - haven't had a chance to open them up yet to see which kind I got yet though.

you don't have to open them up to find out, just slide the cover off and the serial number is on the outside of the box...

and like i said, i definitely recommend spending the extra $20 on the official RB drum silencers at either BB or CC, it will help to prevent the pads from bubbling. my original EL kit started to bubble in literally a few days, and in almost 2 weeks it was definitely noticeable. luckily, CC did let me exchange it, for an SL kit that had severe crosstalk (hit the yellow pad hard, and the blue pad registered too), and then for another SL kit in which the D-Pad didn't work (it didn't move right, and when you went to move left, it took off like it was being held down. basically, there was no way to navigate left or right.). in the end, i got the SE from TRU a few weeks ago during the ridiculous $109 sale (with a $25 gift card), and my current EL kit works flawlessly with the silencers...

and do yourself a favor and drop $20 (plus shipping of course, because they don't stock it in GC stores) on a throne...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Universa...13-i1137347.gc

· Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kicking myself for missing that TRU sale - kicking myself.

I'll definitely look into those silencers. I'm hoping I don't have any issues with the drums out of the box.

My buddy is a drummer, and works for a backline company, so he should be able to hook me up with a free throne.

Thanks again for your help.

· Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 /forum/post/15422129

My buddy is a drummer, and works for a backline company, so he should be able to hook me up with a free throne.

while you're at it, ask him if he can hook you up with a set of real nylon tip drum sticks, it will help extend the life of the pads. it did for the RB1 pads, at least there was the notion that it did...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.