AVS Forum banner

Have you been faced with a defective RB Guitar?

• Yes - (3 or more returns)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - (1 return, second guitar great so far)

• I think so - I just don't want to return it and get something worse

• No problems at all (expert player or +2 mos. owning)

• No problems so far (average player)

• Rock Band? What's that? (yes, I live under a rock)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't bought RB yet, but am really itching to do so. The only thing I am waiting for is for the guitar problems to work themselves out before I buy into it. There are many comments regarding defective guitars. I figured it was time to see what percentage of owners are seeing this problem. This might help others decide as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Day 1 purchase guitar had the usual strum bar problems that people describe after about 2 weeks. I didn't bother getting a replacement until about Christmas time but I haven't had any significant problems with it. It was either 3 or 4 days for me to get my guitar after I submitted an RMA. As bad as the guitar problem has been, the enjoyment from Rock Band for my family really outweighed the negativity I felt because of the guitar failing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I play RB guitar on Expert, have owned the game for a month and have not had any guitar issues.

My drums, on the other hand, just broke yesterday. Yellow pad doesn't respond.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Just an FYI - there's no option for people on their second return. They either have to go over or under.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Auditor,

I figured that we wouldn't need that answer, as if you have returned it once, and your second one is ok, then you pick the second choice. But if the second guitar is no good and you had to get a 3rd one, then you'd pick the first one.

It's Friday, so I might be missing something!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My original stopped downstrumming, so I sent it back. When I received my replacement it was good until, as luck may have it, a few days after I sent the defective guitar back (used the upstrumming guitar as bass to have 2 guitars for awhile).

The replacement stopped downstrumming so I requested another replacement. When it arrived, the box was extremely light, since it was just an empty box, an xbox 360 empty box actually (I have a PS3). I told them on their support site, and they sent another one.

The fourth replacement (3rd actual guitar received) made me want to break something as right out of the box the red fret was showing as being held down permanently. Right before I was going to ask for another, I got angry and hit the frets, and it actually popped out and seemed to work. I haven't had much time to use it lately, so hopefully it won't have any other problems and the fret won't stick back down.

I haven't had any problems with my other equipment, but did notice that the kick pedal seems to have a stiffer spring than my brothers (could just be that he uses it a lot more than me).

I still love the game and appreciate the fast support that I get from EA as I get the replacement a few days to a week after I ask for one (Express).

Edit: This is my first post, I've been on the forums for awhile, but never posted as I felt I never really had anything to add to any posts.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just got rockband tonight at circuit city, got home set everything up, wife was jammin to the drums, got guitar out and all setup noticed LOTS of noise in it, sounded like it was full of beans, something is broken in there and one of the buttons is stuck as constant pressed, so not cool...

That was the last box at my local CC for ps3 and my other store locally didnt even have ps3 version, so i called 2 other stores one had it but said once the game is open I needed to call the company for replacement parts as they do not take back open items if the game disc works, they would only replace a bad disc not broken guitars or drums etc I explained I bought this literally an hr ago but didn't get into a big arguement on the phone about it.

I could go in and push the issue tomorrow since I just bought it tonight but it was close to closing time so i just let it go, should I be calling or emailing the company on this? The store with stock is a good 40 mins away sadly, at least the drums work and the mic works....Do i need to send in the broken one (my cost) to get a replacement?

Bill

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin /forum/post/12931381

Just an FYI - there's no option for people on their second return. They either have to go over or under.

I also pick option A and 1/2. I returned 2 guitars and my 3rd has been fine.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM /forum/post/12935340

Just got rockband tonight at circuit city, got home set everything up, wife was jammin to the drums, got guitar out and all setup noticed LOTS of noise in it, sounded like it was full of beans, something is broken in there and one of the buttons is stuck as constant pressed, so not cool...

That was the last box at my local CC for ps3 and my other store locally didnt even have ps3 version, so i called 2 other stores one had it but said once the game is open I needed to call the company for replacement parts as they do not take back open items if the game disc works, they would only replace a bad disc not broken guitars or drums etc I explained I bought this literally an hr ago but didn't get into a big arguement on the phone about it.

I could go in and push the issue tomorrow since I just bought it tonight but it was close to closing time so i just let it go, should I be calling or emailing the company on this? The store with stock is a good 40 mins away sadly, at least the drums work and the mic works....Do i need to send in the broken one (my cost) to get a replacement?

Bill

The button isn't normal but that shaking noise is. Its the tilt sensor for the guitar.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM /forum/post/12935340

Bill

As mentioned in the rockband forum, go to http://support.ea.com/rockband

Fill out the info, give them your credit card # and they'll send a new guitar in less than a week. Put the bad guitar in the box and use the included UPS return label and drop off at any UPS store. They'll put a $125 hold on your card until they get the bad one back.

Otherwise, you can go the non CC route and wait for them to send an empty box, return your guitar, and wait for the new one. I've returned 2 pedals, 1 guitar, and pads. I've yet to pay for any replacement and I've had the game since it launched.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow...that's pretty ominous with a 23 - 13 of people having some sort of problem to those with none. I hope this isn't an indication of everyone out there, because in this microcosm poll, this bodes very poorly for the quality of the game.

It still isn't going to stop me from getting the game, but it will make me very weary of the equipment and I will return it with any small indication of something weird going on.

I can't remember a product that had this much defects in it except maybe for the Xbox

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to keep this poll going and hear more feedback. It's very educational.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It appears the instruments only have a 60 day warranty, we played a few more hrs today of rock band, did get the guitar working but it has multiple internal something in there making noise (sounds like a dozen bb's inside it rattling around), my stuck fret was released by my giving it a good smack from the side (figured it was broke anyways) and sure enough it popped out

LOVE the game totally addicting and I am not even a guitar hero player or any other game like this for that matter, but wife daughter and I all have had a blast with it so far...

Just the whole after 60 days warranty part of the instruments leaves me feeling like we will be spending more on this game in the next few months for replacement units sadly...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Now if they would just release some JOURNEY TUNES rockband would be the best game on the planet!

WE WANT STONE IN LOVE, WHEEL IN THE SKY, DON'T STOP BELIEVIN and ANYWAY YOU WANT IT for ROCKBAND!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Are ALL the rockband addon songs for ps3 version on the ps3 store download area? I see the a-z listing groups there but I remember folks talking about demos appearing then being gone weeks later, do rockband songs come and go too?

Anywhere I can see a FULL list (or future list) of ps3 rockband add on tunes?

I did go and request some tunes at their site thru the request page link too
http://www.rockband.com/request_song

Been using the code on youtube to access all songs on the game disc (yes I am a cheat)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZ404i4nJ0E

works for me!

Even made a quick vid of wife playing it on the 119 inch projector (first 5 mins game was open first song played), she made me turn the lights down tho so she wasn't seen on camera hehe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A2MBy2iRikk

Bill

·
Registered
488 Posts
My first guitar broke recently and is currently on its way to EA. Right after buying a bunch of DLC too
Hoping to get a 4th gen guitar in return

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, this bums me out. If these numbers are representative, there's a 2 out of 3 chance that I'll have a defective guitar when I buy this product.

Bah!

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devax /forum/post/12975379

Man, this bums me out. If these numbers are representative, there's a 2 out of 3 chance that I'll have a defective guitar when I buy this product.

Bah!

Well, a lot of us are 'early adopters', so to speak. The 1st (and 2nd?) gen guitars were very basic in operation (i.e., strum bar hits metal, triggers microswitch) and apparently used very cheap switches which were rated to around 50,000 uses or so, which obviously isn't much. The later designs use some sort of magnet-based design, and supposedly are much better and should be more reliable.

I would actually be more concerned about the drums, as there seems to be a shockingly high amount of failures if the forums are any indication.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Will be my 3rd return once they get back the replacement guitar that was sent to me recently.

My 1st guitar had crappy high fret buttons and strum...but tilt worked great. 2nd guitar had great high fret buttons and strum...but tilt's sensitivity was a hit or miss. 3rd guitar had 1 crappy high fret button, strum, and tilt. The 3rd guitar I sent back and kept the 2nd one. I have to go through the warranty process again to see get a 4th guitar.

Interesting to note, though the guitars look new, I noticed that the 2nd guitar had 2 green sticks on the back of it...I think PA3 and PA5. The 3rd guitar only had PA4 on the back. Evidence of refurbs? Probably.

Next time, I'm going to try to ask for a brand spanking new one, as it will be the 3rd replacement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts